Last minute puppy checklist - What am I missing?
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Last minute puppy checklist - What am I missing?

Greg M is offline Senior Member

SmileLast minute puppy checklist - What am I missing?

So, we will be bringing our girl home on Monday morning and I am running through the checklist in my mind of what we might need. I already have a Vet appointment set up for wednesday, they advised me what I need to bring for that visit. Anything in particular I should inquire about while there? We also prepaid for puppy training at Petsmart, they had a Christmas sale for $89 instead of the usual $109 for their 6 week course. We can actually start the training after the second shots is what the trainer told me at the store, although we can move our start date/time around as we need.

What we have so far:

Collar/Short leash
    Kennel cage
    puppy pads
    Chew Bone
    squeeky toy
    food/water bowls
    Natures Miracle odor remover

What I need to pick up that I know of:

soft brush for combing
    toothbrush

Anything you can add would be a great help to me, thanks in advance and Merry Christmas!
    A wise man makes his own decisions, an ignorant man follows the public opinion.
    -Grantland Rice

“One of the truest tests of integrity is its blunt refusal to be compromised.”
    -Chinua Achebe

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Sedona is offline Senior Member

Just add all the love and patience for that beautiful puppy you are holding and all will be wonderful. And lots of pictures for us here to enjoy

Isn't it great to have a sister

deidra is offline Senior Member

Sounds like you got all that I would think of! When you take him to the vet keep him in your arms and do NOT allow him on the floor.
    ~It doesn't matter how smart the dog is,it matters how smart the owner is.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

BigBrownDog is offline Senior Member

What kind of chew bone? The only bone I'd use with a puppy is a durable nylabone.

Petsmart is hit or miss for training depending on who the trainer is. Do you have a Lab or all breed club near you? IMO, that would be a better resource for training.
    Sharon, Blaise and Diesel.

Sedona - We have the love and patience all set up and ready to go. I'm not expecting this to be easy, if it were, it probably wouldn't feel as rewarding anyway.

Deidra - Thank you for the tip about keeping her off the floor at the Vet office. I read that I shouldn't even take my dog out to the front yard until the vaccinations are done so yeah, i'm a bit paranoid about all of that to say the least. I have a small puppy carrier that my brother said he'd loan me, I might take her in that if I need to.

BigBrownDog - The chew bone we purchased was a Nylabone "Puppy Chew" bone. I wasn't so sure about Petsmart for training either but the woman that was helping me was a lab owner and is actually one of the two trainers at the store. She spent at least 45 minutes with me suggesting what I needed, the do's and don'ts for crate training etc., keep in mind it's two days before Xmas and the store is full of people. She even went so far as to take things out of my basket saying "this stuff is no good" or "this doesn't work". My Kong wire crate was sold out. She offered to let me have the display model for 30 bucks off or she could have a packaged one there by the next day. It was just a great experience...she helped me load everything in my car even. It was likely the best service I've ever had at any store. So, in talking to her I can tell she is good at what she does...it's her passion, not just her job. I feel the training will work out pretty well there.
    -Grantland Rice

-Chinua Achebe

citronella is offline Senior Member

blanket? or doggy bed. I would also suggest a Kong, good for chewing and sticking treats in it.
    The voices in my head may not be real, but they have some good ideas!

We have blankets we will be using in the small partitioned part of the crate...I was tempted to buy one of those nice bed/pillow things but they seem to be a bit too big for the area of the crate she will be in for the time being, plus...blankets/towels wash really easily. A Kong would be a chew toy with a pocket I take it? Ok, i'll look for one of those next time I'm at the store...I was planning on using small treats I bought in a bag for rewarding good behavior.
    -Grantland Rice

-Chinua Achebe

HersheyK's Dad is offline Senior Member

Bandaids
    Large Bandage material
    And if you can find one, one of those suits that the police dog trainers use to teach the dogs to attack a suspect. You will only need this for about 6 months when the razors should be replaced with adult teeth. <g>
    Hershey Kisses, In charge of getting Ed out to the dog park so that he gets some exercise.

Quote Originally Posted by HersheyK's Dad View Post
    Bandaids
    Large Bandage material
    And if you can find one, one of those suits that the police dog trainers use to teach the dogs to attack a suspect. You will only need this for about 6 months when the razors should be replaced with adult teeth. <g>
    -Grantland Rice

-Chinua Achebe

LuvBrown is offline Senior Member

Return the puppy pads, they will only get shredded and not peed on.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast