Dio being gross

Thread: Dio being gross

Dio's mama is offline Senior Member

DefaultDio being gross

Well... I am grossed out and confused. Ever since his neutering (nov. 11) Dio has been eating his poop. I haven't changed his food or anything and he never ate it before. Now, I'll be picking up his poo, he sees one, picks it up, runs away and eats it!
    What the hell
    Only thing I can think of is to keep him inside while I pick it up and to pick it up right after. The 2nd option is a pain in the ass, since when he poops in the evening, it's pitch black outside so I usually do it in the morning before work. Out comes the flashlight I guess...

Any other suggestions? Will he grow out of it?

BTW, I feed him Innova Large breed puppy food and he is almost 6 months old (this Friday).

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Roscoe's Mom is offline Member

Roscoe's been doing this too. We've actually got a company coming Friday to rid the yard of all poop, because I'm unable to clean up her poop right now. (Picture trying to clean tar out of hair.) I've been training her with the command "Leave it." when she starts getting over-zealous around the poo.

I hope they outgrow it. I've read that among other things, they do it out of boredom.

mitziandjudysmom is offline Senior Member

It's common though disgusting. Most dogs will go for other animal's or cat poo. The only way I can keep Bruno and Duke from eating Mitzi's is to get it picked up before they have a chance at it. If Dio is getting it as you are picking it up, you should work on teaching "Leave it!" and "Drop it", very important commands for his own safety.
    Last edited by mitziandjudysmom; 11-18-2009 at 12:01 PM.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

kassabella is offline Senior Member

Ernie is an on and off poop eater. Have no idea why he suddenly starts snacking. His food is always the same.

I have tried pineapple in his food, and all the other things. Telling the poop it is bad...yeah neighbours love this one. Nothing except being vigilant works.
    I would try the leave or drop. Doesn't work for Erns. He is faster than me.

I was told not to make a big deal about it as it might become a habit for attention. Hard not to when they come inside and burb in your face.
    Hope it is a passing phase for your dog.

Kassa 25/11/01 - 09/02/05 O.S Jaw cancer forever in my heart.
    Ernie 25/11/01 adopted May 05
    Sam 11? adopted Nov 06 - 18/12/07 Lyphoma
    Tessa. Rescued June 2011.
    Bone Cancer Dogs org.http://www.bonecancerdogs.org/
    http://kassabella.tripod.com/kassabella/
    http://collarsbychris.weebly.com/

Dio's mama is offline Senior Member

Thanks for the advice/support. He's pretty good with the leave it if I catch him, and he's calm. It's usually when he's hyper that the listening goes out the window...

AngusFangus is offline Senior Member

Feel your pain. Angus is a long-time poop eater (since day one). Simon came to us a normal dog, but soon began to imitate this deviant behavior. Thanks Angus.

Ours usually poop on walks, so it gets picked up at that time. If one happens to go in the backyard, though, fair game. I agree that "leave it" is a very valuable command. I try very hard to make "leave it" one of the most rewarding commands there is, for this reason (and many others).

YellowJakesMom is offline Senior Member

Jake will eat only certain other dogs' ... waste. Seems like he likes my Mom's dogs' the best. We've found the only thing to do is take them out on leash and pick up as we go. They eat less poop, the yard stays cleaner, everyone is happy.

Only after the last tree has been cut down, only after the last river has been poisoned, only after the last fish has been caught, only then will you find that money cannot be eaten. - Cree prophecy

labby is offline Senior Member

In my own studies, I've found that neutered males, especially those neutered early, tend to become bitchy in temperament and eat poop. Eating poop, for the most part, is an instinctive thing for a female. I've found, by asking dog owners, that the earlier they are neutered, the earlier they tend to start showing female tendencies and therefore eat poop.

Laura

Dani is offline Senior Member

My "early" neutered male (6 months) has never eaten poop and is thoroughly grossed out by Rookie's behavior. Rookie was neutered at 23 months of age and eats poo in the winter when it's frozen. I have done a great job of keeping on top of it at my house, however when he goes to my friend's house, they are not as good about consistently picking it up.

So from December to about Mid March, I have to be diligent about poop pick up or I will be faced with the brown smile and the retched stank of shit breath.
    Dani, Rider & Rookie
    SHR Watson's Safari Rider, JH, WC, CL1-R, RA, CGC, TDI
    SHR Endeavor Put Me In Coach, RN, WC, CGC

Member Since 6/2003