Talk to me about "heart dogs"
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Talk to me about "heart dogs"

patm is offline Senior Member

DefaultTalk to me about "heart dogs"

We have often talked about whether someone has had a "heart dog" or not. While I have loved all of my labs very,very much, I can't say that any of them have been "heart dogs" as I think of it. What I am wondering, is, do you know that a dog is your heart dog pretty quickly, or can it take a while? As Emilu gets older (she's 8.5 years old) I find myself growing more and more in love with her, but she is not my heart dog. Skippy was as close to a heart dog as they ,come, but he also had "another woman" in his life, and my heart dog will only have one in his - me. So what I'm wondering is, is even though Baxter has givin me total fits since we've had him, is there a chance that as he matures more, he can "become" my heart dog - or are they just there right from the start (you can tell, I'm wanting a heart dog). Also - what make a dog your heart dog?

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

deidra is offline Senior Member

It can take awhile to realize a dog is your heart dog. With Tank It took a year for me to figure it out. With Tank it was that we were both hurting when I got him(me mentally, him physically and mentally) He has always been right there by my side(literally) and I believe he has saved me a few times. I am becoming extremely attached to Bentley but I still don't see him as my heart dog. He is really close though. I am one that believes you can have more than one heart dog because sometimes there is a dog that wiggles its way into that spot.
    ~It doesn't matter how smart the dog is,it matters how smart the owner is.

Forrest was, well, everything. You just KNOW. At least, I did. I think I knew it from the start. He was ALWAYS there, no more than 5 feet from wherever I was sitting. Always within sight outside. Came at a glance. Loved me unconditionally.

As my friend said, he was a gentleman.

Damn, I miss him.
    Home of:

Forrest CGC- Lab 2001-2011
    Poopy-Toby-JRT 2004-
    Finn- Lab/Aussie- 2011-
    And 30-some Miniature Horses...

www.fieldofdreamsminihorses.com

He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his leader, his love. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion. Unknown

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

patm is offline Senior Member

Well if being close all the time counts, then Baxter might make it - that dog follows me everywhere, unless he is being tricky and won't let me near him!

Paddysmom is offline Senior Member

As much as I absolutely ADORED and admired Paddy, it is Seamus who ended up being my heart dog. I knew it from day one. We just... connected. Not because he's particularly snuggy (he's actually a bit on the aloof side), but more because our brains just seem to meet. I swear he knows what I'm thinking or feeling before I do.

Seamus and Flynn

Luvmydog2much is offline Senior Member

I think you'd know by now Pat.

I still find myself talking to Owen. He's been gone for almost 6 years, and I was fortunate to spend only 16 months with him, but he and I were very much a connection. From day 1.

Not that I don't love all of my dogs, he just 'got me' and understood. Without a word. Now I am crying.
    'Don't grow up too quickly, lest you forget how much you love the beach.'
    ~ Michelle Held

Rhys, Ruby and Nola

georgie is offline Senior Member

I can't explain it. But you just know. I didn't think you could have two heart dogs....but I did. Shadow was our first lab, we just clicked. But she also owned a big part of my husband's heart. If a lab could love two people the same, Shadow was that lab. She was our heart dog. Molly came after Shadow had passed & somehow I found I could love another lab. She wormed her way into my heart. She made me smile again. She was my heart dog.
    Abby is without a doubt my husband's heart dog. They are a team. I see how she responds to him. She may love me but there is not the bond that she has with Dave.
    Now Kate...well she is the good time girl. She loves us both. We have always said she picked us. As much as I love all of my labs, there were only two that I felt a special connection. I can't explain it.

BigBrownDog is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by Paddysmom View Post
    As much as I absolutely ADORED and admired Paddy, it is Seamus who ended up being my heart dog. I knew it from day one. We just... connected. Not because he's particularly snuggy (he's actually a bit on the aloof side), but more because our brains just seem to meet. I swear he knows what I'm thinking or feeling before I do.
    Simpatico. For me it was Reo, my Lab/Collie cross. We had a soul connection.
    Sharon, Blaise and Diesel.

Rushpuppy is offline Senior Member

Rush & I are hearts. I am her person and she is my heart. I couldn't love her more if I actually gave birth to her. I know that sounds weird, but that's how I feel.
    When I am home, she is where ever I am. At night, she is laying up against me. We have that bond where our minds just connect. Gosh I love that girl.

amazongold is offline Senior Member

Shadow was my heart dog. She was very much in tune with how I was feeling and what I was thinking, and I swear she understood everything I said to her. I do believe you can have more than one heart dog in a lifetime, and I hope to have another one some day.
    Jackie, Champ, and Buddy

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast