Fresh Air/Outdoor Time

Thread: Fresh Air/Outdoor Time

bebopalula is offline Senior Member

DefaultFresh Air/Outdoor Time

Hi Everyone,
    I'm feeling a little guilty lately. When I think of the amount of time in one day Breezy gets to spend outdoors, it really isn't that much. I wish it could be more. We walk in the morning (weather permitting) for about an hour on the beach. Then she gets a midday walk for about an hour and in the evening we walk for about a half hour. On occasion we will go to a friend's house for doggy play time and when I am outside doing yard work Breezy will hang out on the deck with a frozen Kong. I don't leave her outside alone when I am not home. So, I guess on an average day she is outside for a total of about 3 hours. That stinks! Just wondering how much time outdoors your dogs get?

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Clanceycanuck is offline Senior Member

I think that great that she is getting 3 hours.

justine is offline Senior Member

Well I think Breezy gets more outdoor time than miss Abbey. Unfortunately I don't have a yard and dogs can't be off-leash here (I get fined $50 each time), so most of our playing is restricted to indoors.. Outdoors is mostly for walks, runs, bike rides, etc. It stinks, but Abbey doesn't seem to mind, especially since it's getting chilly!

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Bob Pr. is offline Senior Member

3 hours is 3X more than Puff often gets (unless you count car rides!).

On a typical day, she gets a 40 minute offleash walk in the nature preserve where she probably goes 4 miles to my 2.

Then a couple offleash neighborhood walks for P&P'ing for 10 minutes each.

When I mow the grass or we sail or work on my boat, she gets a little more outside time.

é ½ ¼ º ± ♥ ÷ ≈ ° ♂ ♀ ♪ ♫ ↑ ↓ → ← ¢ £
    Puff [YF, AKC field line (from competing HT/FT breeder) 62 lbs, dob: 8-'01]

Bess [BF, AKC bench line (from competing show breeder) 55 lbs., 1967-1981] "Poor Bess, the Wonder Dog":
    http://forum.justlabradors.com/showt...?p=748#post748

Samson is offline Senior Member

Breezy is lucky !

Wait for the better weather ! Labs are very forgiving and three hours is fine IMO

Three hours is more than most of us can give our dogs. Shiner gets 1 hour morning and evening except for care days. On weekends he gets an extra hour at the dog park and that is about it for him.

greg is offline Senior Member

3 hours is great .Jack gets 45 minutes of playtime in the morning and 45 in the evening. On weekends I try to get in 3-4 hours a day.

MNLab is offline Senior Member

I better not tell Daisy and Lola that Breezy gets 3 hours outside, they'd be jealous! Right now they are getting about 5 hours outside, but that is because we've had unusually nice weather so they've been able to be in the kennel (in the summer they are out most of the day). Once winter really hits they'll get about a half hour walk each day and a few min. several times a day for potty!
    Chantel and...

Daisy, Hayshaker She's Utterly Unforgettable, CGC
    Lola, our mellow yellow gal. Gotcha on 1-7-07

bebopalula is offline Senior Member

Thanks all, for your replies! Maybe I'm not such a bad dog mom afterall.
    It isn't the weather that keeps us from being outside as much as I'd like; the weather right now is perfect for exercising a Lab! It's the limited amount of time I have to be outdoors romping around with Breezy and/or just letting her hang out in the yard. As it is, any spare moment I have lately is devoted to getting her out for exercise and walks. And I don't even have (human) kids! I don't know how those of you with children do it.
    I guess what propelled this feeling of guilt is that I'm reading 'Merle's Door'. Those of you that have read this book will know what I mean. It's about a man and his Lab. What a life of freedom this dog had! Hiking, camping, skiing, hunting......this dog had quite the doggy life!
    I guess we just do the best that we can for our pups, right?