How Good is Their Memory

Thread: How Good is Their Memory

Cappy_TX is offline Senior Member

DefaultHow Good is Their Memory

Do you think?

Late last December, a friend from Austin TX came up to visit and hunt with us for a day. Ed brought his 3 year old female "Daisy" with and she ended up hunting with Remi that day.

Before and after the hunt, Rusty and Daisy played non-stop together ... it was probably the first time that the then-1-year-old Rusty ever had a playmate (aside from his original litter mates), besides Cappy and Remi. He was infatuated with Daisy and they couldn't seem to get enough of each other and even shared meals and treats nicely.

Eleven months later, Ed and Daisy returned and spent the morning with us. This time Rusty and Daisy got to hunt together. Unfortunately, it was a slow morning action-wise as far as ducks are concerned. But that didn't stop the two long-lost-buddies. They played and chased and growled and chased each other some more in the house before we left, at the wetlands when we let them get together, and back at home again after the hunt. That's the hardest that Rusty has run, swam and played since Daisy was here a year ago. It's 5 hours later and other than a quick dinner, he's been sleeping since Ms. Daisy went back home.

I'm just wondering how much of that unabashed happiness together was the exuberance of youth verses what part of "remembering each other" had to do with a terrific day for both of them.

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

georgie is offline Senior Member

He probably did remember her. She is a cutie. Is that the only prize for the day? It's been warm up here in PA, hunting hasn't been real good. But today, they were flying & Abby got to retrieve two. Which is two more than she has been getting.

Nice pictures.

vanike927 is offline Senior Member

I'm sure he remembered her. I'm sure once he picked up her scent he remembered her instantly as a friend that he's had fun with before.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

NM Lab Lover is offline Senior Member

I vote for remembering her too. I know that after 3 years of being in Germany my daughter's dog went nuts at the airport when I picked her up. She could not see me, she only heard my voice. It was amazing. I have never had that many doggies kisses.
    Love JL. Justlabradors.com!!!

SharonaZamboni is offline Senior Member

He sure did remember his friend! It must be the scent that helps them. I wish Bean had a buddy to play with!

Dio's mama is offline Senior Member

I also vote for him remembering.

Dio "knows" his doggie buddies. He gets way more excited when he sees them than when he meets a strange dog. He won't play with strange dogs, but when one of his buds is around, look out! The zoomies return, the bitey face is reinstated... it's really nice to see the pups enjoying themselves!
    Gabrielle
    Dio (Best Bud since July 18th, 2009)
    Kaity (Sweetheart since April 29th, 2012)

morla is offline Senior Member

Cool pictures! All your dogs are awesome!
    SIMON