giving your dog pills/capsules
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: giving your dog pills/capsules

amazongold is offline Senior Member

Defaultgiving your dog pills/capsules

Buddy has been on antibiotics for the past 2 weeks for the infected anal gland. Two big capsules, twice a day. I tried finding things I could hide them in without using bread (because they have a problem with wheat), but nothing else seemed to work very well. So, I take a slice of bread, break it into thirds, then break one third in half - that's Champ's share. I put a capsule on each other third, fold them over and pinch them shut around it.

Buddy gets one with a pill, Champ gets a 'placebo.' Usually, they gulp it right down. Then one morning, I see a capsule fall on the floor. Rats! Go to get another piece of bread, and Buddy calmly picks up the capsule and chomp, gulp, it's gone! LMBO I was so worried about getting him to take them! I still use the bread, because I figure it's not good for him to chew them up like that, but I laugh every time I give it to him now.

If it were Champ, I'd have to shove the pills down his throat, because he finds anything I try to hide and spits it out. I could do that with Buddy, but I prefer not to have to force him if he'll take it nicely.

Now, Buddy knows when it's time for the meds, and he runs to the kitchen and waits for them. He's going to be really disappointed Saturday morning when there are no more capsules to take!
    Jackie, Champ, and Buddy

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

labby is offline Senior Member

With everyone except Seamus, I toss pills in their food and they eat them. Seamus I have to stuff the pills down his throat once I unclench his jaws.

Laura

Lab Dad is offline Senior Member

I use unsalted saltine crackers with a dollop of crunchy peanut butter on it as a vehicle for meds. with the meds the PB is a tad more crunchy but they don't really chew it anyway.
    They get a PB cracker 2x daily with or without meds and get huffy and annoyed if I forget. Proir to 2001 I used the pry open the jaw-fence tongue- push the pill down the throat-hold the jaw shut until swallow method, but they were very adept to spitting the pills out.

Back when Misty was sick she did not want peanut butter and spat the PB cracker out out so I turned it upside down and she ate with a very surprised look on her face. The next time I tried to give her a cracker upside down she stooped to look at the underside to be sure there was no PB, sniffed the top and then took it like it may explode.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

tammyhuffman is offline Senior Member

I have always used cream cheese, it has never failed me.

bett is offline Senior Member

usually i can just toss in their food and it works. if not, i wrap a blob of peanut butter around it. no problem.

Tanya is offline Senior Member

a few options:
    - peanut butter (just slap it on the pill all around). I had one person tell me they use crunchy as otherwise the dog licks it off teh pill
    - cheese
    - use tripe or a little bit of canned food on the food and stick the pill in there.
    Charlie (foster) and Rocky

blackandyellow is offline Senior Member

Homer takes a daily capsule for his heart murmur. I just open his mouth and push it to the back of his throat, then quickly give a treat. We have advanced so much that now I don´t even have to push it into his throat, I just feed it to him and he swallows. Good boy.

One thing that never fails is stuffing the pill into a piece of turkey saussage. They usually swallow the whole thing.

I use canned dog food. I get a spoonful out and put the pills on it and offer it to the boys. Forrest takes it with no hesitation at all. Poopy doesn't get any pills but some dog food. They all get three spoonfuls and they DO know how to count to three!!
    Home of:

Forrest CGC- Lab 2001-2011
    Poopy-Toby-JRT 2004-
    Finn- Lab/Aussie- 2011-
    And 30-some Miniature Horses...

www.fieldofdreamsminihorses.com

He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his leader, his love. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion. Unknown

Samson is offline Senior Member

Mine will eat anything especially Dylan. No really - a.n.y.t.h.i.n.g. except raw cabbage stalks !

Cappy_TX is offline Senior Member

Jackie ... All three of mine take pills buried in a glob of peanut butter (marble sized) on the end of a butter knife (no sharp edge) and I stick it in their mouth, scraping it off against the top front teeth as I pull the knife back out. Yum, yum, lick, lick lick.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast