A Sad Story...

Thread: A Sad Story...

jägermonster is offline Junior Member

DefaultA Sad Story...

I don't post here very often. In fact, I think I have only ever posted a couple of times since I got my monster dog almost 2 years ago. However, I do follow the threads daily and have grown to love hearing about the dogs and people on this board. I have found this board to be an endless source of information. I will admit, though, that it is rather scary stepping out from behind my computer screen to actually post.

However, I felt the need to post this story about an incident that occurred near my town the other day. It is so absolutely heartbreaking that I felt the need to share. I have nothing against hunting, as I in fact originally planned on hunting with my own dog. I know there are a lot of hunters on this board, and I don't want people thinking I am raising "controversy" by posting this. I know many responsible hunters, and believe in the best of all people. Perhaps this was just a horrid mistake. Alas, this story has made me think twice about taking a walk in my local forest during hunting season.

Dogs shot by hunter - The Lindsay Post - Ontario, CA

I guess my question to all of you is, are there any extra precautions you take during season that you can share? Thanks so much!

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Jan
    Jan is offline Senior Member

We allow hunters on our 38 acre rural property (we live in the city, it's just a big dog park for our two dogs) but we generally do not go out there during hunting season at all. It is dangerous for sure, and if I were you, I'd certainly think twice about walking anywhere hunters might be.

D Bros. is offline Senior Member

Mistaking black Labs for coyotes?! Really?! I find that a bit hard to swallow. He'd better be looking more carefully from now on.

Speaking as an upland bird hunter, there are precautions I take when in the field with my dog. There are certain rules I stress to anyone that's hunting with me, especially anyone who's never hunted with a dog. You never, never shoot at a bird if it's on the ground. Because the dog might be right behind it. Also, there's what I call the "horizon rule". Let the bird get up until you can see the horizon under it. Let it get at least 10 feet off the ground before you shoot. I've seen dogs come 6 feet off the ground right under a flushing pheasant before. And, when Diesel is done growing, I'll be getting him a neoprene vest. Both for protection from hazards on the ground and for visibility, since the one I want is blaze orange on the back and sides.

I've told people that these rules are for their protection as well as the dog's. In other words, if you screw up and ignore the rules and shoot my dog, you'll be picking bird shot out of your ass shortly after.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

georgie is offline Senior Member

Like D Bros said, there are precautions you take. Our girls hunt pheasant & when DH takes them hunting, it's one at a time & always with hunters who also have dogs. There are rules and even when we train with live birds, the shooters are always experienced hunters who have dogs. Some people have been told "no" when they say they want to shoot, because they don't upland hunt & we will not take a chance with our labs.

That is so sad about those labs. There are a few people in the woods that will shoot at anything that moves.

We never take our girls in the field when it is deer season, even with an organge vest on. I can't see how you can confuse a coyote & a lab.

Belles mom is offline Senior Member

A very sad mistake indeed! It sounds like the hunter really did make a mistake, but should be surer of his target.

That being said, despite what the owner said, I am not sure 6:30 am is broad daylight this time of year. I always go out with my dogs, and especially this time of year, am always talking to them. I certainly would not let them out in a field by themselves during hunting season.

Karen and the gang
    BBI Kodi's Journey To Anotch (Journey)
    BBI Kodi's Blackpowder Striker (Flint)

jägermonster is offline Junior Member

Thanks everyone for the tips. It really isnt something that crossed my mind until I read about this. I guess you never really know. I will definitely be taking more precautions for the rest of the season.

morla is offline Senior Member

That makes me mad and sad. Stupid hunter! Coyotes arn't black!
    SIMON

rayluckgoo is offline Senior Member

Sadly there are deer hunters...few...but some...who will shoot dogs they don't see humans with. They always use the excuse "the were running deer". I'd suspect that's what this guy did...because...as we all know..coyotes aren't black. But he could hardly at that point say he did it on purpose...which he probably did.

MicksMom is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by jägermonster View Post
    ...I guess my question to all of you is, are there any extra precautions you take during season that you can share? Thanks so much!
    Absolutely- responsible dog ownership. I grew up surrounded by hunting, and, later, a local hunt club hunted on the camp we lived at. I've never had a dog even have a close call with a hunter. Why? Because they weren't allowed to run lose. Never had a kid in danger, either- they weren't allowed to play in the back fields or ride thier bikes through the trails during hunting season. Blaze orange collars, vests, hat, etc are an added safety measure.