A possible allergy to Saba's saliva...?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: A possible allergy to Saba's saliva...?

Neska74 is offline Senior Member

DefaultA possible allergy to Saba's saliva...?

Let me start off by saying I don't have any allergies. None. My dad and I are the only ones in the family that don't get runny noses, puffy eyes and other fun things associated with numerous allergies. Everyone else has them. Now recently I noticed that when playing with Saba, I get ... itchy. That's "itchy" not "bitchy" as that is usually the norm anyway Mostly on the inside of my arms and my hands. I noticed that I only get that when he tends to give me sloppy kisses.

On my right hand (just near the thumb) I got some bumps a while ago that were super itchy and now it looks like an eczema. At one point after a long playtime and lots of kisses, I noticed that I had red marks (almost like welts) on the inside of my arms, the upper side of my hands, my chin and throat, all very, very itchy. All the places where he licked me. They went away overnight.

Sooo ... does that mean that after 6 years I developed an allergy to his saliva? Does anyone else have that and what is best to help with the itch? Thanks in advance!

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

BigBrownDog is offline Senior Member

I do - I don't really encourage/permit my dogs licking me. I don't have as severe a reaction as you to the saliva, but I am worse with puppies. Benedryl helps and washing the affected area immediately helps too.
    Sharon, Blaise and Diesel.

MyGoldenBoy is offline Senior Member

Yeah, that's an allergy. The welt-like marks sound like hives but the overall itchiness and eczema is an allergic reaction too.

I'm allergic to plenty of types of animals but my allergy desensitization shots as a teenager did help my reactions until we got Max as a puppy. I'd get the same itchiness after being licked. That's when I knew the protection the shots gave had given up the ghost and I'd be dealing with a fuller allergic reaction from then on. Washing immediately does help and I taught Max not to lick people. You'll need to clean more frequently. For the bad days, I used Zyrtec.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Sophiesmama is offline Senior Member

I wonder if it could be to what he is eating?
    ~Pam

Sophie DOB 04/13/2011 6 mo

8.5 mo.

Sophie 15 months, with Skye

HeySquirt is offline Senior Member

Yup that sure sounds like an allergic reaction (but I'm not a Dr. nor do I play one on TV).

Allergies are funny... years ago my BFF had a pet bunny it was about two years old and I was holding it (like I had a million times before) when I broke it in the worst hives I've ever had. Its us... our bodies are constantly changing.

I have always been allergic to dogs but it's usually very mild... if I get scratched I will get hives but they go away pretty quick. It's only been this fall with Emmett that I actually found myself at the pharmacy seeking drugs. LOL!
    Amy

Quote Originally Posted by Sophiesmama View Post
    I wonder if it could be to what he is eating?
    I don't think so. He's on dry kibble with the occasional veggie etc.
    Sigh... I guess I should step out of the denial stage and face the fact that it is an allergy first for me.

BigBrownDog is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by HeySquirt View Post
    Yup that sure sounds like an allergic reaction (but I'm not a Dr. nor do I play one on TV).

Allergies are funny... years ago my BFF had a pet bunny it was about two years old and I was holding it (like I had a million times before) when I broke it in the worst hives I've ever had. Its us... our bodies are constantly changing.

I have always been allergic to dogs but it's usually very mild... if I get scratched I will get hives but they go away pretty quick. It's only been this fall with Emmett that I actually found myself at the pharmacy seeking drugs. LOL!
    This is SO true. I have allergies to many things - the worst of it are cats and horses. I can be in a house with a cat for no more than an hour without a problem but if I touch it and then my face, I will blow up. Horses are far worse. I've had giant hives - like 3" across from touching horses and touching my skin. And the hive you see on your skin mirrors what is happening on the inside of your body as well, often.

I have developed allergies to seafood and other foods in the last couple of years. I am hoping that will go away eventually as I really miss eating shrimp.
    Sharon, Blaise and Diesel.

TangerineFizz is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by Neska74 View Post
    I don't think so. He's on dry kibble with the occasional veggie etc.
    Sigh... I guess I should step out of the denial stage and face the fact that it is an allergy first for me.
    Agnes, you know what I'm going to tell you. Go see my allergy guy.
    Me, Abzilla and the Helomonster.

Quote Originally Posted by TangerineFizz View Post
    Agnes, you know what I'm going to tell you. Go see my allergy guy.

Will he perform voodoo tricks on me..?

judiz is offline Senior Member

I am severely allergic to dogs but that doesn't stop me from petting and hugging Hamilton. I found soaking in a warm bath mixed with aveeno soothing bath treatment helps stop the itching and controls the rash along with antihistamines.
    Hamilton, Rescued October 4, 2011 at the age of four, background unknown. Hamilton is extremely lovable!!!!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast