I have never had a dog go through heat but this time I was waiting for it to happen as I understand it is better for the bones/joints of a big dog. My girl is 15 months + . As far as I know there has been no heat. A couple of months ago she did have a greenish mucousy smelly discharge that I thought was the beginning of her heat but was not. She took a course of antibiotics and that went away.
This week we went in for booster shots and a well dog check up and my vet thought that she had gone through a silent heat. He based this on her bone structure and nipples which are no longer hidden in her fur but visible little nubs. She has not grown much in the last 5 - 6 months, weighs 60 pounds, is quite well conformed. I do not want to do x-rays to check growth plates. Vet said we can just wait but is pretty sure she is fully mature.
Any thoughts? I had never heard of a silent heat. We were only waiting so as to better the bone strength. Breeding is not an option.
I found this article, hope it helps Female Dogs Problems - VetInfo
Sophie DOB 04/13/2011 6 mo
Sophie 15 months, with Skye
Did you talk to your breeder? At that age she is probably fully grown heightwise. As long as she does not have an inverted vulva, I would think that spaying her now would be OK.
Sharon, Blaise and Diesel.
I'd wait until you see blood. Whats a little bit more time? Some females don't come in until they're much older.
'Don't grow up too quickly, lest you forget how much you love the beach.'
~ Michelle Held
Rhys, Ruby and Nola
I hope she will be ok!
No inverted vulva. I am thinking I will just wait a bit longer. She is spending the weekend with her trainer who also breeds Newfies. She will check her out and give me an opinion when I pick her up on Sunday. Pup was so excited to be there when I dropped her off that a good look was not to be had.