additude adjustment
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: additude adjustment

greg is offline Senior Member

Defaultadditude adjustment

Jack for the most part is the typical 14 month old Lab.He loves people ,allows my cousins 18 month old to count his teeth while patiently lays there.Jack plays well with the other dogs in the neighborhood.But there are times when we go for a walk in the park or to Petsmart he will meet a dog that he will growl at.and then 10 minutes later meet the same dog and want to play.today we were in Petsmart and we turned into an isle and there were 5 greyhounds just standing there and he growled.Jack would never bite another dog.but still id like to end his behavior.any ideas?

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

AngusFangus is offline Senior Member

Five greyhounds is a pack. Jack may have just felt threatened.

Thanks for the answer ,AngusFangus.thats a good point. I had 'nt considered that it may have surprised him turning the corner and seeing a pack standing there.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

sarah is offline Senior Member

If Milly is 'surprised' she will growl.

IE: guy next door sticks his head over the fence... Milly looks up to see a human head and no body and gets a surprise! She growls on instinct.... and then goes over and licks him and wags her tail.

IE: I walk in with a black beanie and a big black coat during winter, Milly growls/barks and then realises it's me and comes over to say hello and is happy to see me

it happens alot, we often see things before her like the dude next door sticking his head over the fence and wait for her to see it and growl/bark. She is also a very placid/happy dog. We find it amusing, I relate it to me going "holy crap!!" when someone scares me or I get a fright from something I was not expecting.
    Sarah & Milly - Sydney Australia

thanks Sarah,sounds like Jack and Milly have alot of the same character traits.I m probably making more of it than i should.He is still young and learning his way.

Felix is offline Senior Member

Oke .. A growling labrador .. Maybe you could something fill in for me

On what way does he growl, and he does do his little act, how do you respond on it ?

You must understand, a dog on a leash shows the same behaviour, as a dog behind a fence (teritorium!)

And, if you speak to him, when he does do his little act, he just intrpete it like you say, that other dog is the worst thing thats going to happen to him on this planet!

The best way to respond on this, is dont respond at all! .. Just walk on and ignore him and let him do his little stupid trick!

We got our puppy 1 month before Halloween and my kids were dressed up in their costumes with their masks on and were running around on the other side of the puppy gate. Cooper was so scared that he barked/growled at them through the gate and then scurried away and hid. I wanted him to see it was the kids so I picked him up to show him and he must have still been scared because he relieved himself on my pants!

Labradorable is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by Felix View Post
    The best way to respond on this, is dont respond at all! .. Just walk on and ignore him and let him do his little stupid trick!
    I agree.
    ~Samantha
    Dozer (04/01/09) & Moose (01/02/13)
    Cybil (02/02/00 - 02/20/09)

Felix is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by CooperBoysMom View Post
    We got our puppy 1 month before Halloween and my kids were dressed up in their costumes with their masks on and were running around on the other side of the puppy gate. Cooper was so scared that he barked/growled at them through the gate and then scurried away and hid. I wanted him to see it was the kids so I picked him up to show him and he must have still been scared because he relieved himself on my pants!
    By just picking him up, you just confirmed that the 'thing' he was facing is realy scared stuff!

The best way in those cases are, let them figure it out by them selfs, so they can see that there are only humans in it, and it isnt scarey at all!

So, basicly .. Just ignore them, and dont even say a single word to them when they are in a state like this

I see this behaviour evry single new years eve cellebration with dogs in the area over here, who are scared to death by all the fireworks (the dutch realy enlite a lot of that stuff with new years eve). So, again .. The best way, is just leave them ..

Sounds like wise advice.thank you Felix. when he does his stupid little trick,i have been telling him no and that he is being bad.and he does stop.when he does growl he generally just lets out one growl,its not anything protracted. Ill take your advice and ignore his behavior.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast