WHAT is it with this breed and socks?!

Thread: WHAT is it with this breed and socks?!

Chi&LabLover is offline Senior Member

DefaultWHAT is it with this breed and socks?!

Our lab Percy used to grab for the socks all the time...so I ended up having to keep them under lock and key so to speak (easier said then done when you have a husband who, God love him, likes to take his socks off while he's sitting on the recliner and *SOMEHOW* they find their way into the recliner). Skye has a bajillion toys...add this to the fact that she was kept OUTSIDE for 2.5 years...meaning...NEVER AROUND SOCKS...and what has she been doing the past couple of days?! SOCK THIEF! Ahhhh. It started this weekend, my hubby brought the diaper bag in from the truck when we got home from the grocery store (my youngest son has the habit of taking his socks off, ALWAYS) and the socks fell out of the diaper bag. I thought nothing of it, went to put the groceries away, came back in and went to pick up the socks...wait...where the heck...OH MY! Skye was chewing on them...grabbed them, threw them downstairs in the laundry pile (basement is off limits to all dogs) and that was that. Then Sunday night we were watching a movie, and I have this habit of kicking my socks off without even realizing I do it...well I did that...she grabbed them and ran off...little sneak. Caught her in the act again, grabbed the socks and threw them downstairs. BUT NOW...she is getting SMARTER...I took the little pups out after breakfast (Skye doesn't usually go out as often as they do, there's no need for it and with the possibility of her being in heat I don't like to take her out more than I have to at this moment)...I came back in and I heard her walking upstairs (floor is wooden)...yelled for her to come down...she did...and then for whatever reason I had the urge to go check my room which is the room she came out of...sure enough...she had gotten in the CLEAN laundry basket...pushed ALL the clothes aside and grabbed a pair of socks! WHAT IS IT WITH THESE DOGS AND SOCKS?! What in the world!?! I don't know how to nip this in the butt, but know I need to because I do NOT want her going in for obstruction surgery. Couldn't she have picked a less dangerous thing to chew on?! Jeez at this point I'd settle for her chewing on my kitchen chairs which was another of Percy's favorite objects, and at the time drove me nuts...but heck, they already look like chewed up sticks now and at least that wouldn't cause her to obstruct! HELP!? Advice?! I guess at the very least I can resort to keeping socks under lock and key again, though that will DEFINITELY be easier said than done this time around since I have two boys under the age of two.

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

patm is offline Senior Member

I am lucky that me dogs are not "swallowers" - mean chewers, yes - but they spit everything out when they are done. Baxter LOVES socks! We don't have them laying around the house, but he goes down in basement to help me do laundry, and can get a sock from anywhere. He roots around in the dirty laundry and comes up with a sock, snoots around in the dryer and comes up with a sock. Looks in the wet laundry basket and comes up with a sock. Funny thing is - he knows he's not supposed to have them, so he runs to his bed, then puts it down and lets me come and pick it up without a murmur. He just LOVES socks!

Sophiesmama is offline Senior Member

Sophie pretty much chews on anything that's not nailed down, socks included! I'd feel lucky if all she chewed on was socks. Today, I have taken the following out of her mouth: soda cans (twice), remote control, cover girl make up bottle, flip flop, swimming pool brush, toilet paper, socks, toilet set fur cover, People magazine, and from the trash: dog biscuit box, lunch meat pkg and cracker wrapper. And...its only 5pm! Whew! She keeps us young!
    ~Pam

Sophie DOB 04/13/2011 6 mo

8.5 mo.

Sophie 15 months, with Skye

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

patm, that is what amazes me with Skye...she had an entire laundry basket of clean clothes in front of her...what did she manage to pull out...a sock. She found a sock under a pillow laying up in our room...unbelievable...and she hasn't swallowed one...but she does chew on them and I'm afraid it will lead to swallowing (paranoia on my part most likely...but I don't want to take chances lol).
    Sophiesmama, my kids are bad enough when it comes to stuff like that lol, my one year old can literally find the tiniest speck of dirt on the floor right after you vacuum, and will shove it in his mouth...I have to constantly be watching him, so thankfully Skye is NOT like that because then I'd have two to look after lol.

rpost7786 is offline Senior Member

You're lucky it's just socks! Avery tends to like to steal bras and undies too. I had my best friend over and he decided to bring her a present... My bra. She was hysterical.... Me beet red!
    Rachel, Keith, Scarlett & Avery = One happy little Family

"A dog has no use for fancy cars, big homes, or designer clothes. A water log stick will do just fine. A dog doesn't care if your rich or poor, clever or dull, smart or dumb. Give him your heart and he'll give you his. How many people can you say that about? How many people can make you feel rare and pure and special? How many people can make you feel extraordinary?"- John Grogan

Lol my female chihuahua is ALL about stealing undies from the dirty laundry. I had clean ones in the wash and grabbed a pair the other day...they had tiny little holes all through them...Tink (my female chihuahua) came running in the room when she heard me yell and looked at me like...what mom? It's just a chew toy...UGH. lol Thankfully Skye doesn't do that because I probably wouldn't have any left.

greg is offline Senior Member

Beats me just what it is with socks,everytime that I take one away from Jack he pulls one out of his secret stash.

morla is offline Senior Member

Simon doesn't chew anymore he just diggs!
    SIMON

Greg, I wish I knew where they kept their secret stash lol because Skye seems to have one too. Already today I've taken three...THREE...where in the heck is she finding these things?! I swear one of the kids must be helping her...

Morla, Thankfully Skye doesn't do that yet...and boy I hope that doesn't start as well lol.