Therapy Dog Certification?

Thread: Therapy Dog Certification?

carrot is offline Member

DefaultTherapy Dog Certification?

I am thinking that Chief might enjoy being a Therapy dog and going to visit hospitals or nursing homes.

With his previous working Service Dog title, I think that transitioning to something like this might be smooth and beneficial for him.

If any of you have done this with your dogs I would love to hear about your experiences with this!
    Blessings from Cara and Chief!

*Born 7 Nov 2004 * Joined us 9 Aug 2011 *
    + Crossed the Bridge 27 Feb 2013 +

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

dweck is offline Senior Member

My prior dog, Wesley, was a therapy dog. And I'm hoping to move my current pup, Parker, into therapy work. It is an excellent way of building a further bond with your dog and helping others at the same time.

If your dog has a Service designation, he/she should have no issues getting tested and approved for therapy work. It's all just basic manners: No jumping up. No fear/aggression toward equipment like walkers/canes/wheelchairs. A good grasp on LEAVE IT (especially in hospitals, where dangerous meds may accidentally find their way to the floor).

Wes and I didn't do the hospital/nursing-home route. We were involved in a program called Reading Education Assistance Dogs (READ) where we helped kids who were having trouble reading. The program had them read to a dog -- a non-threatening, non-judgmental situation -- as a way of boosting skills. It was great for both me and Wes. =)

Kelrobin Cleveland Street Denizen, CGC, RN [Parker]

"Dear George: Remember, no man is a failure who has friends. Thanks for the wings. Love, Clarence" -- IAWL Screenplay (1946)

Dio's mama is offline Senior Member

I'm going to a meeting December 1st to find out more about our local animal therapy association. It's something that I think Dio would enjoy doing and it would benefit me as well!
    Gabrielle
    Dio (Best Bud since July 18th, 2009)
    Kaity (Sweetheart since April 29th, 2012)

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

carrot is offline Member

I had forgotten about that READ program. That may be a better fit for Chief.

dweck- one would think that the Service Dog working years would make things easier but I do have concerns about Chief's excitability in certain situations. He also seems to have difficulty listening and obeying sometimes. I do think those are things which just may be slightly problematic because he's not been forced to work so much since he came to live with us.

I found a list of ITD evaluators in my state and may start e-mailing with them. On the list I found, none of the people listed were especially close to me but perhaps i will find something closer today.
    Blessings from Cara and Chief!

*Born 7 Nov 2004 * Joined us 9 Aug 2011 *
    + Crossed the Bridge 27 Feb 2013 +

Yelloweyz is offline Senior Member

I've been a proud participant in the TDI program since 1999. Indy, my first and beloved was the best. Now, Jobe and Annie carry on the tradition, but I find that Jobe likes the Tail Waggin Tutor program the best because he gets close contact with kids. Annie would rather do the nursing homes because she is a busy body who has to inspect everyone.

Mom to Indy 6/12/98 to 11/16/11 (always in my heart), and Jobe 8-14-2000 to 6/24/2013 (Working TDI) English Labs, and Annie our Golden Retriever (TDI), and Kodiak (who will one day hopefully be a TDI dog if he doesn't kill me first).