DH is interested in duck hunting with the dogs...any pointers?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: DH is interested in duck hunting with the dogs...any pointers?

dukesmommy22 is offline Senior Member

DefaultDH is interested in duck hunting with the dogs...any pointers?

DH has recently become interested in duck hunting with the dogs. hE has hunted deer his whole life and is currently bear hunting. Duck hunting would be a new adventure for him. We live in Western PA and from what I can tell it is not too common around here. Any pointers on how to get started? How do we teach the dogs? Duke is 2 and Paisley is 9 months is this an okay age to learn or should it have been sooner? I have a lot of questions but am looking to gather basic information to help him get started. TIA!

"There is no psychiatrist in the world like a Labrador Retriever licking your face". – Unknown

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Chi&LabLover is offline Senior Member

No advice, we never trained Percy. But I do have the same questions because my hubby is just now getting into hunting and from what we've seen it seems Skye has a strong hunting instinct. I hope you find the answers you're looking for and will be interested to see what answers you get. And as a side note, I don't think it is too common here in PA, we live right outside of Harrisburg and I don't know of anyone who goes duck hunting.

Tanya is offline Senior Member

are there any retriever clubs in your area? Rocky and I took a training class years ago with a retriever club and it was fun, but most of the people in the class were looking to train their dog to hunt
    Charlie (foster) and Rocky

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Belles mom is offline Senior Member

Look toward retriever clubs or any one who has waterfowling experience. I would suggest trying to find someone (and their dog) who is experienced in waterfowl hunting and go along for the ride. (The person will become addicted very quickly).

Look into Evan Grahman's series of DVD's and books on training retrievers. ABSOLUTELY excellent!!!!

Karen and the gang
    BBI Kodi's Journey To Anotch (Journey)
    BBI Kodi's Blackpowder Striker (Flint)

Sophiesmama is offline Senior Member

You could ask Cappy on this forum. He's an avid duck hunter. Cappy_tx
    ~Pam

Sophie DOB 04/13/2011 6 mo

8.5 mo.

Sophie 15 months, with Skye

georgie is offline Senior Member

We live in Sw PA & my husband duck hunts. We belong to the SouthWestern PA Hunting Retriever Club. PM me if you want & I will give more information. We also run our labs in hunt tests, that is alot of fun too.

Cappy_TX is offline Senior Member

Belles mom and Georgie both gave you correct advice. In addition the HRCs, look into joining Delta Waterfowl and Ducks Unlimited in order to meet other like minded folks. It's a little late in the year to get started since the season is already underway but someone might just be willing to have DH tag along in return for some training assistance post season.

Warning!!! Duck hunting is somewhat similar to Potato Chips and sex, one is rarely sufficient.

dukesmommy22 is offline Senior Member

Thanks for the advice everyone! I will let DH know the pointers you've given. He says he will probably wait until next year since the season is almost over. Cappy...I hope it's not TOO addicting...he's already addicted to deer hunting I'm not sure if I can handle another thing!

"There is no psychiatrist in the world like a Labrador Retriever licking your face". – Unknown

georgie is offline Senior Member

My husband didn't duck hunt until we got the labs. So besides all the deer hunting stuff & upland hunting stuff...we added duck hunting stuff. tell your husband we start training in March & have fun tests & things then. You should come & check it out. But I will warn you...like Cappy said...it is addicting. I don't hunt, I just run the dogs in the hunt tests. But it is amazing what these labs can do.

morla is offline Senior Member

Simon's dad was a hunting dog!
    SIMON

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast