Just Our Luck :/
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Just Our Luck :/

Chi&LabLover is offline Senior Member

DefaultJust Our Luck :/

So...Skye wasn't acting like her normal chipper self today, like she has been the last few weeks. I heard her growling today, which was odd to me because she has NEVER done that in the house. So I got up to check and see what she was growling at, she was growling at my male chi (I don't blame her, he was all over her, sniffing her and licking her fur?). My male chihuahua NEVER acts that "friendly" with ANY dogs...and I thought it was odd because he wouldn't leave her alone and he looked craze (he is neutered). He's been following her everywhere and sniffing at her "area". It finally clicked...ugh...just before we were going to get her spayed too. I'm almost positive she's going into heat. I called the vet in a panic because I've never dealt with a dog in heat...their instructions to me were to keep her somewhere that it's easy to clean up and isolated from the other dogs (that would be the kitchen) and to be very careful when taking her outside because dogs will be able to smell her from all over. UGH. I feel like a terrible fur parent...I put her in the kitchen and put the gate up and she's sitting there, staring at me through the gate, whining WHY?! This would happen right before she's to get spayed. Any advice from anyone? Anything I can do to make her..."more comfortable." I have no clue what I'm doing when it comes to this and I am absolutely terrified that I'm going to take her out for a potty break and some intact male is going to jump her...

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

somet23 is offline Senior Member

i have a chihuahua mixed with a winnie dog. shes not spayed so when shes in heat we put a pamper on her when shes in the house. when shes out we just make sure no dogs can get to her

Top Of The Hill is offline Senior Member

If she's in heat don't leave her alone in the yard.....not even a fenced yard. I watched Dee like a hawk for an entire month. We did not take her out and about in our area even though there are very few dogs ever loose around here. She was never off leash when outside of our fenced yard and never alone when outside. I was probably a bit over the top cautious, but better safe than sorry.

Dee has her own towels.....and I just put those down anywhere she sitting. I tried to find the doggy pads, but noone had them. The towels worked okay.

Once she had finished her heat we were advised to wait until everything went back to normal size-wise before we got her spayed. That was close to two months for Dee.

Good luck.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Sophiesmama is offline Senior Member

I read that if you spay a dog in heat, they can bleed more during the surgery, and to wait at least 2 weeks after it is over. I also read that there are diaper type things you can buy at petco. Just make sure she is never outside without you.
    ~Pam

Sophie DOB 04/13/2011 6 mo

8.5 mo.

Sophie 15 months, with Skye

morla is offline Senior Member

How did she get in heat? With what dog?
    SIMON

Can she still be in heat without "swelling up" and bleeding? I haven't noticed that yet, but yet everything else with her is strange, I'm wondering how long it takes for them to start bleeding. Also, how am I supposed to safely take her to the vet Tuesday for her visit? She has to be seen at this other vet so that she can get set up for her spay appointment because they fill up quickly, so I need to schedule that appointment weeks in advance. I am worried though that I'm going to take her to the vet on Tuesday and there will be an intact male there...I feel like I'm walking around with a loaded gun at this point.

silverbyrd21 is offline Senior Member

we used to take old panties and cut a hole in the back for the tail and pin them on!
    Rachel mama to,

Skylar - Husky/Shiba Inu - May '03
    Molly - DSH blk and white feline - April '04
    Cali - Norwigien Forrest Cat - February '05
    Courtney - Human Child - October '06
    Sookie - DLH Dilute Calico feline - August '09
    Liberty "Libby" - yellow lab - March '11

CindersMyGirl is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by morla View Post
    How did she get in heat? With what dog?
    A dog in heat is kind of like a human females ovulation time and period. This is when the dog is fertile so she can pregnant and she bleeds like a period. When she's in heat she'll attract male dogs with her scent. The original post was asking how to protect her so she doesn't get with another dog to avoid a pregnancy.

SharonaZamboni is offline Senior Member

You might not notice much; my Cam had a heat cycle before she was spayed, and the only really obvious effect was frequent urination and licking the area.
    Maybe she can wait in the car if there's a male in the lobby?

Okay, so if she still isn't swollen or bleeding is there anyway for me to know for sure if she is in heat? Is the reaction of my male dog enough to tell me? I don't want to be taking her for walks or anything if she is in heat, but if she isn't I don't feel like it's fair to keep her cooped up in the house. How do I know? This is driving me nuts...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast