agression?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: agression?

kaykay is offline Senior Member

Defaultagression?

does not neutering at 6months cause the dog to be agressive? i took jayson to the vet yesterday and the vet yelled at me cause hes not fixed yet, i told her i was waiting till 18 months thats when she told me that at her clinic they do it at 6mths. opinions?
    thanks kristin
    Kristin

jayson

laika

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Tanya is offline Senior Member

change vets. I would not stand for a vet that yells at me.

While most vets to push for the neuter at 6 months, there are MANY valid reasons to wait. If they are not open to at least having a discussion then I worry about what exactly they will be like in the future when discussing treatment options (will they even allow options? will they even TELL ME if there are other options)? Most push for the 6 months to ensure it gets done while owners are already in the habit of coming to the vet and because some because it helps the pet overpopulation. That's fine, but a vet should be open to DISCUSSION about the pros and cons of neutering earlier VS waiting.

There is no direct link between neutering/not neutering and aggresion. In fact, if anything I believe I have read more about neutered dogs being worse than intact dogs on that front (but no real study) Most breeders (the ones that really know their lines) will recommend (or even have you sign a contract) stating you will wait until the dog is over a year (if not closer to two) prior to neutering.
    Charlie (foster) and Rocky

morla is offline Senior Member

We neutered Simon because it would calm him down. He is not an aggresive dog so we have never had that problem. I quess if you didn't neuter your dog they might be a little agresive if they were neutered but not that much. Good luck though!
    SIMON

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

BigBrownDog is offline Senior Member

Well - statistically intact dogs are a larger percentage of reported bites than neutered dogs, but there are other factors at play there as well - specifically the fact that responsible owners are less likely to allow a behavioral problem to grow to the point of biting and responsible owners do neuter their dogs. I don't believe that there is any science behind the notion that not neutering your dog at 6 months leads to aggressive behavior.

Vets as a group are inclined to advocate for neuter/spay at 6 months as a public health stance. If everyone desexed their dogs while they were still puppies there would be a significant decline in unwanted puppies landing in shelters. Given the overpopulation problem in the US - this is reasonable thinking. However it's not what is best for any individual dog, IMO.

If you are responsible about managing your dog's behavior and keeping him from breeding there are benefits to waiting. Hormones matter in the proper development of bones/joints/musculature. The increase in risk for testicular cancer is so insignificant as to be not a consideration at all. In fact, the incidence of negative health effects from never neutering your dog are very small too.

And - I agree with Tanya. I'd not tolerate any Vet yelling at me. You are the customer, not his subject. I'd be out the door quick.
    Sharon, Blaise and Diesel.

Samson is offline Senior Member

Change vets ! He doesn't know what he is talking about !

Tanya is offline Senior Member

So I don't believe that neutering or spaying makes a dog "lazy".

However I talked to my vet adn she said that it does lower metabolism by something like 20% due to the lowering of testosteron so that YES you do need to be more careful about over feeding as they may gain weight. Not sure this would have an impact on energy level of behavior in ANY WAY though. that's just me
    Charlie (foster) and Rocky

Golfgirlrobin is offline Senior Member

My opinion is that vets are hurting economically right now, and your vet would love to be able to bill you for a surgery.

I'm composed of 85% kick-ass and 15% crippling self-doubt.

TBGSAM is offline Senior Member

I would have to change vets if one of mine spoke to me in the manner yours did, in fact I did. I have always and will always recommend early spay and neuter but not to prevent aggression. I believe breeding and environment contribute to aggression not the age you spay or neuter.
    Coleman - CGC blk lab 6/02/97-2/25/08 adopted
    Tootsie - choc lab 10/19/99-8/03/13 adopted
    Bailey - CGC newf/fc 7/12/00-07/15/14 rescued
    Ginger - BT 11/16/05 rescued
    Sarah - blk lab 6/22/06 rescued
    rescued felines - AJ - 8/00 - 1/11, Merlin - 5/20/05, Tucker - 8/3/10, Penny - 7/7/13

windycanyon is offline Senior Member

Well, guess we are in trouble here since my girls are often not neutered til they are >6yo! And no, I do not have any issues, nor do most of my friends w/ intact dogs. Aggression has far more to do w/ underlying genetics and somewhat to training/discipline. Any vet that gave me the what for would be reminded quickly who signs his/her checks.

WindyCanyon Girls, August 2014

HarveysMum is offline Senior Member

hmmm, i am no expert but this is what my vet told me...
    Dont neuter until they have finished growing.

When he had finished growing we went back to the vets and had the discussion again. This time he ask me why i wanted to neuter. Obviously unplanned puppies and possible behaviour issues where my concerns. As Harvey was showing no signs of agression etc. the vet advised that i thought about it before commiting. Then Harvey was diagnosed with Elbow Dysplacia. As a result, he is always lead/leach walked so no concerns about unplanned pups (very secure home/garden also), harvey shows no signs of agression, doesnt try to hump me or the furniture so he has kept his plums....for now. If his behaviour changes, i will re-assess the situation, but right now there is no reason for me to neuter. HOWEVER, if your dog ( or Harvey) has the chance to be lose with intact females, i would be re-assessing.

FWIW, in our dog park, the only time i have see any agression is from dogs that have been neutered. I am not saying (by any stretch of the imagination) that neutering causes agression, but this is what i have seen. Many of us in the dog park have discussed it, as typically it is the intact dogs that get blamed for agression.

Also FWIW, not neutering Harvey does not make me an irresponsible dog owner. Harvey has Elbow dysplacia, his weight will affect his joints. Currently he gets about 60% of his daily allowance of food and still weighs ~40 kgs. If he gets neutered, we have been advised that we would need to cut his food by another 25 - 33%. The poor boy would starve to death or become a bin raider I have had to weigh up all the options, right now, neutering is not the best thing for him. Harvey will be 4 in April.
    Last edited by HarveysMum; 11-18-2011 at 04:35 PM.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast