Just need to vent....
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Just need to vent....

lisa is offline Senior Member

DefaultJust need to vent....

Mad, sad, confused and disgusted. I have been volunteering at my local shelter for about 8 months and tonight was by far my worst night there. We adopted out a dane/lab mix about 6 months ago...he had a rough start in his new home, he suffers from SEVERE seperation anxiety. They worked with him, and even though there were ups and downs he was doing much better. Tonight he came back, he has been very destructive...but there has been a major change in the home...his dog friend, who stayed with when alone passed away. He can not be crated, he injures himself, he is on meds, I just think they should have given him time to get through this change.

I can't even think about it anymore...he pased the shelter floor watching the door, he messed his kennel within 2 minutes...I am rambling...I know, but what can be done for this poor dog. I don't know how anyone just walks away from their dog...I haven't walked in their shoes, so maybe I should not critisize...but I could never, ever, ever.

He probably will never find another home... any suggestions, words of wisdom or just something encouraging, because I am truly thinking euthanasia would have been kinder to this poor dog. I can't get his poor face out of my head...looking out the door, waiting for his owner to come back. People suck sometimes.

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

deidra is offline Senior Member

poor pup Has anyone tried to contact a local dane rescue or lab rescue to see if they have room for him? An All breed rescue would also be something to look at.
    ~It doesn't matter how smart the dog is,it matters how smart the owner is.

morla is offline Senior Member

Aw! Poor puppy! Good for you for volutering at a shelter! I want to do that so bad!
    SIMON

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

lisa is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by deidra View Post
    poor pup Has anyone tried to contact a local dane rescue or lab rescue to see if they have room for him? An All breed rescue would also be something to look at.
    actually on line doing that now...we are a no-kill shelter, but he is just going to go crazy in there.

jen124 is offline Senior Member

I'm sorry! Shelter work can be so hard sometimes! Kudos to you for doing it. I'm sorry about this poor guy ~ I don't know how people just give up on them either. Hoping you find him the right place.
    Jen and the crew!

Chi&LabLover is offline Senior Member

People do suck sometimes. I hope something works out for this poor guy!

georgie is offline Senior Member

How sad for that poor dog. I admire people who volunteer at shelters. I can only imagine how hard it is to see these kinds of things so often. I hope he finds a loving home. Some people do suck.

Sophiesmama is offline Senior Member

It sounds like you need a dog whisperer. I have seen them on Animal Planet and its amazing what they can do. I am not sure how to get ahold of one. I know there are dog psychologists out there. I feel so bad for this guy. Give him time to come to terms with being deserted. Heartless people... Hopefully you can find a Dane rescue to take him.
    ~Pam

Sophie DOB 04/13/2011 6 mo

8.5 mo.

Sophie 15 months, with Skye

Campfire_Dog is offline Senior Member

Lisa,
    What was the reason the original family brought him in?... What does he do to hurt himself in the crate? That poor dog has some serious issues. Check out Cesar Millan's web site. Maybe he has room for a challenge. He needs projects for his television show. Good Luck. This must be really hard on you and I am sure you miss a lot of sleep. Animals like this need people like you that they can depend on. I hope something works out for him.
    Judy and Jack

"If you are not living on the edge you are taking up too much room."

"Jack catching a few rays."

Canula2000 is offline Senior Member

Rescue work is so hard, burn out can happen very quickly. I never worked daily at a shelter but have done volunteer work there from time to time and I do fosters and help screen adopters. But I quickly learned how different everyday dog owners are compared to dog lovers. A regular dog owner just doesn't have the tolerance for a dog with issues. Sad but true. Honestly, rescue work has made me hate people.

"Every boy should have two things: a dog, and a mother willing to let him have one"
    - Anonymous

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast