Possible Aggression or Just Stress?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Possible Aggression or Just Stress?

Chi&LabLover is offline Senior Member

DefaultPossible Aggression or Just Stress?

I am trying not to worry about this too much...I don't want to read too much into it, that's why I figured I'd stop by the forum and post about it and see what everyone else thinks...hopefully the thoughts will make me feel better lol. So I took Skye to her vet appointment today. Before I go into detail about this, I just want to reiterate the details I KNOW of her...She was kenneled with 7 other dogs at the breeders...he said there was only ever ONE fight and she WAS NOT involved when that fight occurred. When we brought her home, my male chihuahua snapped at her ONCE, the day we brought her home, and she went right back at him...though she didn't hurt him, she just "mouthed" him. They have been fine since that day, in fact, they are currently both laying at my feet. She is fine with my female chihuahua. I had her to the groomer's last week and she was fine with the other dogs there, though they were caged while she was being groomed. She hasn't met any other dogs as of yet because I wanted to get her acclimated to the house, and get all of her vetting/spaying done before enrolling her in an obedience class. She will be spayed in two weeks (we had to push the spay back because I ended up finding out certain things about the vet we were going to take her to that didn't make me all too thrilled. I love our normal vet, but since she is military they only do vaccines and wellness checks, no surgeries. I was going to take her to a vet that's only five minutes from the house, but they wanted me to put a deposit down on the surgery to just hold her spot for the surgery, which left a bad taste in my mouth. Then add to that I found out they REQUIRE you have a K-9 influenza shot done for your dog. I had never even heard of this shot until they told me...so I immediately called my normal vet, who said if any vet is REQUIRING you have that shot...make a mad dash for the door because there is a reason they are requiring it. I asked them of the reason and they told me because last year they had an outbreak in their kennel and all the dogs in the kennel plus the dogs in the vet clinic got sick and some died. Yep, no thanks. So anyways, I rescheduled her with a vet I had used last year while I was visiting, who saved my male chihuahua when another vet told me he'd have to be put down...should have went with him to begin with). I plan to enroll her in obedience class in December when she is fully healed from her Spay. However today when we went to the vet, we were sitting waiting to be called back to the room and another dog came in (a lab mix). The lab mix kept jumping up towards us and then came over and put her face in Skye's face...Skye started growling, she did turn her head away when she growled and turned her body to face me, but kept growling because the dog had her face at Skye's butt then. The owner wouldn't keep his dog away from her, I had Skye sitting right by my side and he kept letting the dog come over and annoy Skye and he was laughing about it. She would growl every time that dog came up at her face. I am wondering if this could be aggression or if it maybe was just this particular dog and the way she was in Skye's face...or if it was a combination of the way the dog was acting plus the fact that Skye was stressed because she'd never been to this vet before. We went back in the room, she took her shots like champ, got her heartworm test, and then also got scanned for a microchip (good thing to because I was told she didn't have one and wanted to microchip her, yet when they scanned her, she did have one! Imagine my surprise...though I won't complain because that saved me 50 bucks). She loved on every one of the vet techs, though you could tell she was still stressed as her tail remained tucked (so sad too because she's been coming out of her shell at home). When we went out to pay another dog came in, came up and put his face in Skye's face and she growled and walked away and sat on the other side of me. As soon as he backed up, she was completely fine. The one vet tech told me not to worry, that she didn't think it was aggression because if it were she would think Skye would have kept at the dog and had her teeth out and all, and she didn't. She didn't even pull on the leash, her teeth weren't out, she was just growling but at the same time walking away from the dog. I was just looking to see what everyone else says because as I said, I wanted to enroll her in Obedience classes, for socialization and for training, but now I am worried and wondering if she will act this way in class as well? Any thoughts?

On another note...after we left the vet, she was a completely different dog, she's come out of her shell even more in the last two hours ha. She jumped right into my truck when we went to it (normally I have to lift her in and out) and then once we got home and got in the house she was going nuts, she did laps around the house and was grabbing toy after toy after toy, which is a miracle as it's only recently she's even wanted to touch a toy. I took her outside to do her business, it's been pouring buckets here all day. She of course took her good old time to find "just the right spot" and after she went, tell me that rascal didn't run RIGHT AT ME and knock me down in the mud... Then after I got up, she pushed me out of my shoes (I had slip on's on)...she was being so nuts it was hard to even be mad because it was funny to see her acting like a real lab.

Was also told she IS overweight, which is what I had thought, they told me to feed one cup twice a day and see if she doesn't drop a little weight, they say she should ideally be 45-50lbs instead of the 56lbs that she is.

Thanks in advance for any advice or thoughts you may have!!!

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

IMHO, NOT aggression. She was telling those other dogs to get outta her face, plain and simple.

I'da decked that first owner who thought it was funny....
    Home of:

Forrest CGC- Lab 2001-2011
    Poopy-Toby-JRT 2004-
    Finn- Lab/Aussie- 2011-
    And 30-some Miniature Horses...

www.fieldofdreamsminihorses.com

He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his leader, his love. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion. Unknown

I ended up snapping on him and asking him to keep his dog out of my dogs face especially seeing as how I was holding my one year old son so it's not like I could have broken up a dog fight. He just laughed again and said well ____(insert dog's name)____ just wants to say hi.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

tammyhuffman is offline Senior Member

I agree, she was very polite! I think I would have gone off on the dogs owner also. Love the happy story when she got home! She is doing so well, you should be very proud of the progress you and she have made. She sounds like an awesome dog!

That guys wife even told him to stop and he laughed at her too. The vet had to eventually come out and take us back to the room so poor Skye could have some peace. I was kind of offended that he thought my dog being stressed out was funny. Even if it WAS or WASN'T aggression WHY would you keep allowing your dog to instigate the situation? Ugh...some people. I'm glad to hear you both think it wasn't aggression. So you think it would be okay to take her to obedience classes then? Hopefully in a different setting she wouldn't react that way?

mitziandjudysmom is offline Senior Member

I wouldn't worry. A vet office/waiting room is a stressful place.

Sophiesmama is offline Senior Member

Not aggression at all! She has rights! She was just warning them to get out of her personal space! An aggressive dog would not move away and come to your side. She was just telling them she wasn't cool with it. I would have told the person to move their dog away from you. It sounds like she is fitting right in and is becoming a family member! I am glad she is discovering the fun world of toys! 56 lbs doesn't sound like so much for a lab. Sophie is 63 lbs and not over weight at all. How tall is your girl? 45-50 lbs is on the smaller side of the lab scale. I am sure the spay will go well. Our vet didn't use the glue stuff on the outside stitches like he usually uses because Sophie is so active. He used regular sutures. We didn't have to use the cone of shame either, she didn't mess with her stitches at all! She was impossible to keep quiet though, so good luck with that!
    ~Pam

Sophie DOB 04/13/2011 6 mo

8.5 mo.

Sophie 15 months, with Skye

I'm not sure how tall she is but I figured she was a bit overweight. She is small for a lab, and the breeder had been feeding her 4 cups daily, which is a LOT. The vet said ideally she should have the "tuck" of her stomach, which she does, but you should also be able to BARELY see her ribs, and in her case, you can't see her ribs at all, you actually have to push in to even feel them. I am so anxious about the spay. I've never had an "older" dog spayed, both of mine were spayed at 6 months, I didn't know any different then.

tammyhuffman is offline Senior Member

I think she will do wonderful in a class and it will be a great bonding time for you both. With the weight issue I would follow the vets advice, Labs can be many sizes. She sounds like she is on the smaller side but as long as you love her it doesn't matter. Good luck with the spay, I know it must be scary. I never knew to wait before either so I will be in your shoes in a year or so with Maxx. Definitely not something I am looking forward to...

greg is offline Senior Member

Skye sounds great, the guy was a jerk.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast