Wonderful End to a Not So Great Beginning

Thread: Wonderful End to a Not So Great Beginning

Chi&LabLover is offline Senior Member

DefaultWonderful End to a Not So Great Beginning

About two months ago I get a phone call from my brother's girlfriend...she is in tears and telling me about how this girl who is a friend of her friends is going to dump a little of lab puppies that her one dog had. She didn't have the full details, that's all she knew. I asked her how long until the girl dumped the pups and she said at the end of the week if she didn't have anyone buying them (she was trying to sell them for $100 a piece at FIVE weeks old none the less). I told her if at the end of the week she still had pups and planned to dump them to let me know and we'd do something, I can't stand to hear about or see people dumping little defenseless puppies (well really, any age of dog). This happened quite a bit while we were in El Paso. There were a few times I'd take my dogs out in the morning and there would be a little of puppies dumped in the drainage ditch near our house, I'd take them in the house, clean them up, take them to the vet and adopt them out. Anyway, Tuesday of that same week I get a phone call while I'm in my anatomy class (I have night class from 7-9:30), it's my brother's girlfriend again, in tears, the girl has decided she isn't waiting and is dumping the puppies. I left class, picked my brother's girlfriend up and we drove, 30+ minutes toward Southern PA to a farm where this girl lived. I walk in the house to find out what's going on. She tells me she's getting rid of all the pups, it's an unwanted litter, they can't care for them etc. While I'm standing here talking to her there are 6 intact labs (3 males and 3 females) and an intact Rotti. Two of the dogs get into a fight (the Rotti and one of the male labs) and she smacks them with a shovel to break it up (she OBVIOUSLY knew what she was doing...and for those that can't sense I am being sarcastic). I am sickened by the sight of this, and while all this is going on there are 5 little pups running around. She tells me they are pure bred labs, I know enough to know that PURE BRED labs DO NOT HAVE MORE THAN ONE COLOR ON THEIR COAT. So I tell her this, she tells me the only other dog that the lab could have bred with would be the Rotti. I ask her why the dogs aren't fixed, she says they aren't going to pay $1000 to fix the animals, which is apparently what her vet wants to charge her per animal. I inform her that there is a Spay/Neuter assistance program in PA, it costs $65 per spay/neuter. She didn't seem to want to hear this...I get down to the business of me wanting to take the pups. She wouldn't just give them to me, in the end I ended up giving her $300 for the five puppies. Adorable, sweet little puppies who were FLEA INFESTED...I'm talking over 100 fleas on each pup. She didn't care. My brother's girlfriend ended up taking the females with her (there were four females) and I took the male with me, so we could take care of them and rehome them. He was ABSOLUTELY sweet, they all were. He looked up at me, and I fell in love the instant he did, but I knew I wasn't going to keep him, as my husband and I had decided that while we were looking for another dog, we didn't want a young puppy, it's not realistic with me starting nursing clinicals, plus having two boys under the age of 3 running around the house and two other dogs. Anyway, I brought the little guy home, bathed him in Dawn which is what my vet told me to do to get the fleas off of him (he was too young to give a flea treatment to). I had to bath him three times, and comb his fur out with a flea comb, I got over 100 fleas off the poor guy, he was whimpering the whole time. I pulled thirty alone off his ONE ear. I felt so bad for him. Got him all cleaned up, put him in a crate, which I slept on the floor by. Took him to the vet, poor pup had worms...she dewormed him, and said otherwise he looked healthy. I kept him until he was 8 weeks and then started the search for a new family for him. I required vet references and other references, home check etc. I rehomed the pup I called "gunner" with a lady who had just lost her German Shep/Lab mix five months prior. She had one cat, who grew up with the Shep/Lab mix, an older son, a husband and a daughter who was out of the house. The whole family fell in love with the pup, they were the absolute perfect fit for him, and off he went to his forever home (this was over a month ago). I didn't feel right asking a stranger to keep in touch with me about the pup, I feel like that's asking a lot of someone. But last night while I was in class, I got a text message from her. She said she wanted to let me know how he was doing, they renamed him Tyson...I like the name and it definitely fits him. She said he is huge...she sent me pictures. He is ADORABLE...she said he terrorizes the cat and the cat terrorizes him back. Everyone in the family loves him...and she says he has another vet appointment for more shots on Thursday. She promised to keep in touch and actually wants me to see if I can get contact info for the parents of his siblings, which I promised to look into (have to talk to my brother's girlfriend since she rehomed them). I was so overjoyed to hear from her and hear that he is doing so well! I never expected to hear anything, just expected that he have a wonderful home. Seeing pictures and being able to talk to her was FANTASTIC! These puppies were well worth the investment my brother's girlfriend and I made, I am so glad I will get updates on the little guy.

Just had to let everyone know. I was so EXCITED to hear from her. I am so glad these pups have homes instead of being dumped in the woods which is where they could have ended up. Such a great ending to a not so great start in life!!!

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Rushpuppy is offline Senior Member

Awww. You did good, no better than good, you did fantastic. Thank you for making those pups lives so much better. God is smiling, I'm sure. An excellent ending to the story.

Chi&LabLover is offline Senior Member

Thank you! I'm just glad to know everything has worked out for him (and all of the others as well). Even with the vet references etc...you still can never be TOO sure. So it's nice to know my gut feeling was right and he's in a fantastic home

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

rayluckgoo is offline Senior Member

Ah...thank you!

morla is offline Senior Member

aW! Good job!
    SIMON