TOTW size of kibble changed

Thread: TOTW size of kibble changed

amazongold is offline Senior Member

DefaultTOTW size of kibble changed

The kibble we give the boys, Taste of the Wild Pacific Stream, has changed the size of the kibble. It is now smaller. However, the feeding directions on the bag have not changed accordingly.

We have a plastic container that we put the food in, and serve it from there. With the old, larger-sized kibble, only about 2/3 to 3/4 of the bag would fit in the container. Now, it all fits (yes, it is still a 30-pound bag). This means that when I give them a 1/2 cup of kibble, they are getting more than they did before because more food fits in the same cup.

Poor boys now get smaller scoops of food and they think they are starving to death. We used to give Buddy a heaping 1/2 cup and Champ two heaping 1/2 cups, twice a day. Now they get level 1/2 cup scoops. From the way they act, you'd think they were only getting spoons full! We are now giving them green beans in addition to their afternoon kibble, as well as at night, just to keep them from acting like idiots and driving us crazy for more food. We really didn't need the extra added cost, but we had to do something because they were begging for the next meal 2 hours early.
    Jackie, Champ, and Buddy

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Henery&Ollie's mom is offline Senior Member

Jackie, has the weight/cup or kcal/cup changed at all?

2blacklabs is offline Senior Member

I feed both of my girls TOTW Pacific Stream also. About a month and a half ago I mentioned to my husband "wow, all of the 30 lb. bag fit into our container, that has never happened before" but I did not put much thought into it, just figured there was less in the container when I put the new bag in. Now that you mention it, I was just thinking the last few weeks that the kibble looked awfully small. Rudder looks great but Scupper is looking a little portly but I was hesitant to cut her back because I just chalked it up to her growing and having an odd shape right now - she is not quite a year old. I wonder if the change in kibble size has anything to do with it now....hmmmm

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

amazongold is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by Henery&Ollie's mom View Post
    Jackie, has the weight/cup or kcal/cup changed at all?
    I don't know Felicia, I didn't make a note of the old bag info, so can't compare it to the smaller-sized stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by 2blacklabs View Post
    I feed both of my girls TOTW Pacific Stream also. About a month and a half ago I mentioned to my husband "wow, all of the 30 lb. bag fit into our container, that has never happened before" but I did not put much thought into it, just figured there was less in the container when I put the new bag in. Now that you mention it, I was just thinking the last few weeks that the kibble looked awfully small. Rudder looks great but Scupper is looking a little portly but I was hesitant to cut her back because I just chalked it up to her growing and having an odd shape right now - she is not quite a year old. I wonder if the change in kibble size has anything to do with it now....hmmmm
    If you are still feeding the same amount by volume (full measure vs. weight), then they are getting more food now.
    Jackie, Champ, and Buddy

justine is offline Senior Member

I noticed that, too, but Abbey isn't eating it regardless. *rolls eyes*

Now I'm interested to see if the stats changed...

I have had to go to weighing out Henery and Ollie's food because I find that the kibble size of the Fromm Surf'n'Turf changes from time to time.

Bob Pr. is offline Senior Member

Call the 800/888/etc Customer Service # on the TOTW food -- I'm sure they can tell you if there's been any change in kcals/cup, kcals/kg, kcals/lb.

Puff [YF, AKC field line (from competing HT/FT breeder) 62 lbs, dob: 8-'01]

Bess [BF, AKC bench line (from competing show breeder) 55 lbs., 1967-1981] "Poor Bess, the Wonder Dog":
    http://forum.justlabradors.com/showt...?p=748#post748

AngusFangus is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by Henery&Ollie's mom View Post
    I have had to go to weighing out Henery and Ollie's food because I find that the kibble size of the Fromm Surf'n'Turf changes from time to time.
    Sorry for the hijack:

Felicia, how long have you been feeding the Fromm's? I thought you were doing Orijen. I have looked at that Fromm's several times and liked the ingredients. Do you like it?

Quote Originally Posted by AngusFangus View Post
    Sorry for the hijack:

Felicia, how long have you been feeding the Fromm's? I thought you were doing Orijen. I have looked at that Fromm's several times and liked the ingredients. Do you like it?
    Connie, I tried the Orijen a few years ago and wasn't too thrilled about how Henry did on it. Then came the fish bone fiasco and I stopped feeding it after that. I think we switched to the Fromms soon after, so I guess I've been feeding it for just over 18 months or so? It is the *only* kibble that Henry has done well on... no more problems with seasonal itchies and he and his ears look really good.

Ollie has been eating it since he went off puppy food and has been doing very well on it as well.

Great coats on both, and even better poops!!
    Last edited by Henery&Ollie's mom; 11-15-2009 at 09:41 PM.