very naughty 7 yr old!!

Thread: very naughty 7 yr old!!

jdchenail is offline Junior Member

Angryvery naughty 7 yr old!!

I could sure use some advice. I have a 7 yr old lab that has one problem we can not fix, that is seperation anxioty (sorry for bad spelling). Whenever we leave i have to close all the bathroom doors and laundry room and make sure the garabage from under the kitchen sink is outside otherwise she makes a big mess and gets into everything! even paper towels and toilet paper. I am afraid she will eat something she should not and get very ill. She is a food freak and nothing will get in her way!!!! she only does these things when noone is home. We have tried crating her but she just breaks out, she has bent and broke many crates!! When i lock her in a room she scratches the doors really bad. I have a training collar for her but i would have to catch her in the act and she only does naughty things when we are not home. HELP!!!!! Please

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Sophiesmama is offline Senior Member

I guess you could hire a sitter. We used to get one when Sophie was left at home. We left her for the first time alone on Saturday for a couple hours. We put her on our back porch. She did ok, but I wouldn't want to leave her any longer than that. She is a food stealer too! Will get in the trash or put something in her mouth that might hurt her. She destroys toilet paper and paper towels if she has a chance.
    ~Pam

Sophie DOB 04/13/2011 6 mo

8.5 mo.

Sophie 15 months, with Skye

Tanya is offline Senior Member

Are you able to talk to a vet behaviourist who may be able to help? Has the dog always been like this or is this new (or is this dog new to you?). in some cases there are meds you can give a dog to relax if nothing else worse.

assuming this dog gets enough daily exercise and training, there are also calming things you can do (scents, lighting, sounds, etc) that sometimes help.

ETA: just wanted to add - if this is truly separation anxiety this is not about ad go being "naughty" - this is a health issue that they cannot stop themselves.
    Last edited by Tanya; 11-14-2011 at 05:44 PM.
    Charlie (foster) and Rocky

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Dani is offline Senior Member

how much exercise is this dog getting any other time?
    Dani, Rider & Rookie
    SHR Watson's Safari Rider, JH, WC, CL1-R, RA, CGC, TDI
    SHR Endeavor Put Me In Coach, RN, WC, CGC

Member Since 6/2003

joflake is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by Dani View Post
    This^. And have you tried a kong? Libby was the same way when she was young, I learned about kongs, put some peanut butter in one and haven't had a problem in the eight years since. Reading about separation anxiety, I learned that they are destructive in the first 20 minutes or so after you leave, when they get panicky because they can't find you. If you give them something to occupy them for a little bit, the feeling passes. It worked for Libby and to this day, both my dogs get a peanut butter kong everytime we leave. Also keep your routine of leaving the same everytime, so they get used to the idea and can come to realize that you will return. I always leave by the front door, giving them their kongs, each on one side of the room and as I go out the door, I always say "be good boys and girls". By that time, they are so into the peanut butter licking stage, they don't even look at me anymore.

DefaultThank you Sophiesmama

Quote Originally Posted by Sophiesmama View Post
    I guess you could hire a sitter. We used to get one when Sophie was left at home. We left her for the first time alone on Saturday for a couple hours. We put her on our back porch. She did ok, but I wouldn't want to leave her any longer than that. She is a food stealer too! Will get in the trash or put something in her mouth that might hurt her. She destroys toilet paper and paper towels if she has a chance.
    I do work out of my home so that is a plus but i would go broke if i had to get someone to sit with her every time i had to go to the store or whatever. Thanks and this must be a lab problem cause Sophie sounds just like mine!

Quote Originally Posted by Tanya View Post
    Are you able to talk to a vet behaviourist who may be able to help? Has the dog always been like this or is this new (or is this dog new to you?). in some cases there are meds you can give a dog to relax if nothing else worse.

assuming this dog gets enough daily exercise and training, there are also calming things you can do (scents, lighting, sounds, etc) that sometimes help.

ETA: just wanted to add - if this is truly separation anxiety this is not about ad go being "naughty" - this is a health issue that they cannot stop themselves.
    She has always been this way but just recently discovered how to open cabinets!, I have always had to close bathroom doors but never had to worry about what is inside cabinets????? I guess she could alway use more exercise cause she does have alot of energy! you are right about "naughty" i guess i am getting frustrated, sorry. I will research your suggestions, thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Dani View Post
    Probably not enough, we walk most days or i through a ball for her, i dont think it would ever be enough for her,lol she has lots of energy! I have tired a kong with peanut butter but then she is up to her old tricks as soon as she is done with it. ughhhh

Canula2000 is offline Senior Member

My labrador has SA as well. He does so much better when he is with another dog. But when left alone in the house I always come home to a disaster. I am lucky though because he does very well in a crate. Now I can leave him and my other big dog alone together and they do good. I really don't have any advice, I just wanted to let you know you aren't alone. I hope you can find a good solution.

"Every boy should have two things: a dog, and a mother willing to let him have one"
    - Anonymous