Easing the dreaded separation anxiety..
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Easing the dreaded separation anxiety..

Dallas05 is offline Junior Member

DefaultEasing the dreaded separation anxiety..

Ok before you guys read this and think I'm crazy I assure you I'm not I am just a typical guy who loves his lab and wants nothing but the best for him. Anyways, my dog is a four yr old lab ret. That is spoiled rotten. I am a welder that just recently moved to sandiego seekig work and transferred for my fiancée work. I have been laid off for over a year due to this terrible recession but since I moved here I will be going back to work soon ( maybe even tomorrow).. Since I have been laid off my dog have definitely een spoiled cause I am home with him everyday and I am thinking he is too spoiled. There isn't really many places that we go ad not take him. I feel that I have ruined him by doing that because now if I ever need to leave him at home he cowards down and get terribly sad and acts lime he is scared to be home alone. When I was working before this lay off he stayed home just fine but now it's like he had gotten used to me being home. I have tried turning on the tv and keeping it on an leaving lights on but the reality of it is I have to go back to work and he is just gonna have to get used to staying home alone for eight hours a day. We eventually plan on moving into a house and eating a new dog so he has company and we want a new lab as well. So the reason why I posted this is I was wondering if anyone has had experience with this or had to deal with it? And if there was anything you did to ease the time your dog stays at home alone. I promise I'm not crazy i just want whats best for my dog and while he is at home alone for 8 hours a day I want him to be comfortable and realize I am coming back. Thank you in advance and I look forward to hearing more on this topic...

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

i apologize for the grammer i posted this thread on my i phone and did not proof read lol

tammyhuffman is offline Senior Member

I understand how/why this would worry you. One of my dogs is like this and I have not found anything that works. I will tell you from experience the less you acknowledge his anxiety the better off you will be. I am pretty sure that every dog would like to have his/her owner by thier side all the time, some are just really pitiful when it comes to being left alone. Do you use a crate when you leave the dog? If not I would prepare for some possible destructive behavior in the beginning.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Dani is offline Senior Member

He'll be fine. Stop projecting your human emotions on him. Get him a nice crate, see if you can walk him before you leave for work, or arrange for someone to swing by in the middle of the day to take him out for a walk...make sure he gets enough exercise when you get home. Irregardless, he'll adjust to a new schedule if you are consistent.
    Dani, Rider & Rookie
    SHR Watson's Safari Rider, JH, WC, CL1-R, RA, CGC, TDI
    SHR Endeavor Put Me In Coach, RN, WC, CGC

Member Since 6/2003

dweck is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by Dani View Post
    He'll be fine. Stop projecting your human emotions on him. Get him a nice crate, see if you can walk him before you leave for work, or arrange for someone to swing by in the middle of the day to take him out for a walk...make sure he gets enough exercise when you get home. Irregardless, he'll adjust to a new schedule if you are consistent.
    Exactly what I was going to say; you are totally humanizing this dog. Make sure he's well exercised, has access to fresh water during the day, and has a crate available if he wants. Establish a morning routine, collect your things at the door, pat the dog on the head and exit without any fanfare. I'd bet a mortgage payment that within 10 minutes, your dog is snoozing away, snoring loud enough to rattle your pots and pans.

If you're worried about potty issues (4 y.o. should be fine through an average workday), like Dani said, hire a dog-walker for a mid-day break.

Kelrobin Cleveland Street Denizen, CGC, RN [Parker]

"Dear George: Remember, no man is a failure who has friends. Thanks for the wings. Love, Clarence" -- IAWL Screenplay (1946)

tkeizer is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by Dallas05 View Post
    We eventually plan on moving into a house and eating a new dog ...
    This made me laugh!

Seriously, I understand what you're going through. My Aila also gets anxiety when we leave the house - we sometimes think that she'll go through our front windows when we leave, she gets that crazy. We recently tried crating her when we leave and have found that this works so much better. She gets a kong with just a little smear of peanut butter and in the crate she goes. It took us awhile to get her used to the crate, but she knows now that if she goes in, she gets her kong treat. When we leave the house, she is quietly slurping away and is none-the-wiser. I would suggest you get a crate, if you don't have one already, and try leaving your dog in the crate for short periods of time - maybe giving her a treat when she goes in. Put her in the crate even when you're home for just a few minutes and then let her out, keep building up the time. Then try putting her in and leaving the house (for just a few minutes) and then come back. Keep building on this a few more minutes at a time until you can eventually go out and run some errands. Another alternative if you can afford it is to possibly look at doggie daycare or a dog walker. Everything will take time and lots of patience, but hopefully you'll get to a solution that will be good for you and your dog.

amazongold is offline Senior Member

I definitely agree with the crate-training and stuffed Kong to occupy your pup when you leave. The crate will be like a comfy den and make the dog feel secure, and the Kong will be an added bonus.
    Jackie, Champ, and Buddy

Sophiesmama is offline Senior Member

If you have enough time before you start your new job, start out by leaving her for short periods of time, and work up to the longer time. The Kong will help...
    ~Pam

Sophie DOB 04/13/2011 6 mo

8.5 mo.

Sophie 15 months, with Skye

hello everyone,thank you all so much for the ideas.. i def. have a tough job ahead of me. as far as the crate thing goes im pretty sure i wont be going that route. he has not been in one since he was a puppy and i just cant bring my self to locking him up in a crate while i leave for eight hours when he could be able too run around the house and look out the windows and such.. i definitly like the kong idea. i will be going to purchase one soon. i have a feeling that is go0nna keep him busy for hours.. i also wont be taking him with me as much. usually there is hardly anywhere we go that we dont take him but i am gonna try and leave him at home more now so we can get him used to staying home alone. thanks again for all the ideas you all have been a great help.

tkeizer is offline Senior Member

Good luck to you but I would really re-consider the crate. It is not being mean to put him into a crate. In fact, many dogs enjoy being in their crate as long as it is reinforced as being a "good thing". If you find that your dog is being destrucive while being alone (and if you read through many of the posts, you will see all the mischief that a lab can get into), you'll see that it really is the safest and in the best interest for your dog.

I do hope that you post again with updates on your progress.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast