Pretty Sure This is An Abuse Case :/
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Pretty Sure This is An Abuse Case :/

Chi&LabLover is offline Senior Member

DefaultPretty Sure This is An Abuse Case :/

I took Eden to the groomer today. She is to be spayed next week and I wanted her bathed before her spay because I know she won't be able to get wet for awhile afterwards. Anyway, she was a trooper. However, I can't get past the fact that I'm pretty sure she was beat. My husband had her outside last night on a leash and somehow she got her leash between his legs, so he lifted his leg to put it on the other side of her leash, she jumped back and cowered. Today she was standing by me and I accidentally kicked the cabinet when I walked over to the stove (our cabinets almost touch the ground), she skidded backwards and cowered. Until today her tail was constantly tucked and she didn't move from her bed. If someone would walk through our front door and look at her, she would turn her head. If someone raises their voice (mostly when my dad is over, he's just naturally loud) she cowers. It's so sad and depressing. She shook and cowered at the groomers, though I'm sure a lot of that had to do with the fact that I'm almost positive she was never taken care of this way, my groomer had to bath her THREE times and the water was still coming out black. She looks much better now though. When my groomer brushed, you wouldn't believe the hair that came out. Honestly I don't believe (nor does my groomer) that she was ever even brushed. She doesn't know what toys are and has no clue how to play with them, I'm kind of at a loss on how to teach her to play, since my other two I've had since eight weeks and they just seemed to pick up on it. I have noticed that she is finally coming out of her shell a bit and I do believe she is slowly realizing she can trust us and we won't hurt her. Poor girl, I had to lift her (me=105 lbs, her=55lbs) into my truck today to take her to the groomer, what a sight that was I'm sure. She shook at first but after a few minutes of being in the truck she relaxed and actually seemed to enjoy it. She seemed distressed when I left, but when I came back she was content. My groomer didn't put her in the kennel after grooming her as I informed her that is where Eden was kept for two and a half years, so she felt that would be cruel. She gave her run of the room, which is fine with me and Eden seemed to really enjoy it. She was curled up near the door looking out it when I came in. And when I came in it was as if she had this "Oh my Mom!" moment. She ran up, put her paws on my shoulder and gave me a kiss. Normally I don't let her jump on me, but it was so cute, I didn't stop it. We got home, she followed me to every room of the house, her tail was wagging the whole time. FINALLY she ate an entire helping of her food, and she just laid and cuddled with me for awhile. It's so nice to see her coming out of her shell, but I can't help but be sad for the fact that the first two years of her life couldn't have been that great. All that to say this...my husband and I have decided to change Eden's name. She doesn't respond to Eden (we had planned to keep it since that's what they said they had called her for two years, however I'm beginning to think they really didn't call her much of anything) so I don't feel so bad changing it. We decided Skye fits her perfectly. She looks like a Skye to me, and when I said that name, she wagged her tail, so I took that as a good sign. Now I just need to remember to call her that, I keep slipping up, and getting my two year old to remember this will be difficult lol. I just don't feel it would be right to call her by a name that is associated with her "old life" that couldn't have been all that great.

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

deidra is offline Senior Member

Glad to har she is coming out of her shell though! shes a yellow lab right? I cant belive that after 3 baths there was still black coming off of her! That right there plus with the cowering contantly would look like a buse to me. My dog Tank was an abuse case to and it took awhile for him to come out of his shell. He trusted me and my mom but was scared of my dad and it took a few months before he started trusting him. He has just started trusting some of my uncles and I have had him for 4 years! I never thought Tank would play either till I bought my other dog mae a stuffed squirel. I caught him playing with it one day and just started tugging on it a little and je started to play "growl" adn after a while he was chasing it So it may just take a little time and to find the "right" toy. Something that helped Tank was being right by me at all times. Tank is also high food driven and when he was focused on me and then look at whatever was scaring him without freaking he would get a treat with a good boy. Skye reminds me alot like Tank. I got Tank when he was 2 and he lived in a basement. Now Tank is a happy 6 yrs old boy who LOVES poeple./ Certain things/people still scare him but that is what makes him special and i love him BTW I love her new name.
    ~It doesn't matter how smart the dog is,it matters how smart the owner is.

Chi&LabLover is offline Senior Member

Yep, she's yellow! She looks a lot more yellow now! Also, before you couldn't even run your hand through her fur without your hand feeling, grimy? I'm not sure if that's the right word but every time I would pet her and then go wash my hands afterwards the sink would be black, so I knew she was dirty, however I never could have imagined HOW dirty. She actually wouldn't look at me when we first got her, so I'm thinking from the evidence, either the guy's wife or his daughter treated her badly. She's finally attached at my hip now, but I think that's because she has seen me with my other two dogs and seen me loving on them so she knows I'm alright. That and I always have treats on me I am so glad we seem to be making progress and I think I may cry tears of joy when she finally plays with a toy. It's almost like we have to teach her how to be a dog, because it honestly doesn't seem like she knows how. She's spoiled though and I'm sure she'll get used to being spoiled just fine, I know my other two have Maybe I'll look this weekend for a few different toys and see if she will take to any of them. She won't touch a tennis ball and we have ducks that squak? when you bite on them...she won't touch them, in fact she stepped on one and it went off and it scared the living daylights out of her! Poor girl.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

georgie is offline Senior Member

Poor baby. I am so glad she is coming out of her shell. it always amazes me the love dogs have for humans & that they can love us, even after some human was obviously mean to them. I am glad she found a loving home with your family.

Sophiesmama is offline Senior Member

She may learn to play by watching other dogs play. I wouldn't push her, just gently keep trying to get her interested. It makes me so mad that someone had treated her this way! I want to go there an give them a beating! So sad, and she is so sweet! A horse whipping would be too good for those people! Skye is the name of my son's Boxer. Her name is Skyler, but we just call her Skye.
    ~Pam

Sophie DOB 04/13/2011 6 mo

8.5 mo.

Sophie 15 months, with Skye

deidra is offline Senior Member

poor girl... Have you tried any toys like these? Grreat Choice™ Holiday Ball Character Plush Toys - Dog - Holiday Shop - PetSmart Also the Kongs are really great if she loves food. Maybe put a few treats in it and let her sniff it and put i ton the ground for her to push around. It could teach her fetch also. When Tank's is empty he brings it to me wanting more treats in it
    ~It doesn't matter how smart the dog is,it matters how smart the owner is.

kassabella is offline Senior Member

Poor baby. Skye is a nice name.

Erns owners never gave him any toys. He learned to play with them, along with many other things. Someoone in his house hit him.It took ERns a long time to trust anyone and men he has never been overly comfortable with. Erns owners have seen him several times and always say he is a very different dog.

Tess was definitely abused. Kicked and yelled at. One of the vets at the clinic is the same size as the female in her previous home and each time she hears Rhea ( who is amazing) she cowers. If anyone in the house yells or lifts their foot dancing or playing she runs and cowers. Poor wee baby. Her owners told me they didn;t give her toys as she shredded them. She sucks them and in 3 months hasn't shredded one.
    I can't beleive how different she is in a couple of months.
    Neither Erns nor Tess were house trained.

I let Erns and now Tessa do things at their own pace. (except toilet training I push a bit) I leave toys and they play with them. There is so much for them to otake in when they go to a nnice home after being in other homes.
    I think being patient, loving them, treating them with respect and care they do turn into loving trusting dogs. Takes time but worth every moment.

Kassa 25/11/01 - 09/02/05 O.S Jaw cancer forever in my heart.
    Ernie 25/11/01 adopted May 05
    Sam 11? adopted Nov 06 - 18/12/07 Lyphoma
    Tessa. Rescued June 2011.
    Bone Cancer Dogs org.http://www.bonecancerdogs.org/
    http://kassabella.tripod.com/kassabella/
    http://collarsbychris.weebly.com/

mitziandjudysmom is offline Senior Member

I'm so glad you changed her name. My Duke seemed better when I changed his name from Willy. The first toy he played with was a Jolly Ball. (I say "was" because Bruno chewed off the handle ) Is Skye getting along with your other two dogs?

tammyhuffman is offline Senior Member

That is heartbreaking but the most important thing is now you have her and you are giving herb a loving forever home! Lots of time and patience will do the trick, I am so glad you have her and you are taking such good care of her. That breeder is an idiot, I would have a hard time not giving him a piece of my mind, for what ever good it would do...

BigBrownDog is offline Senior Member

She may have simply been so undersocialized that all the change/new situations/new people could be over loading her. Some very sensitive, poorly socialized dogs act abused when they are simply scared.

That said - what you described of the place you got her from sounds like a BYB/miller to me. They typically don't invest much care in their animals.
    Sharon, Blaise and Diesel.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast