Which is your pup ? Intelligent or a little bit on the dim side ?
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 33

Thread: Which is your pup ? Intelligent or a little bit on the dim side ?

  1. #1
    Samson is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Kent, England
    Posts
    21,293

    DefaultWhich is your pup ? Intelligent or a little bit on the dim side ?

    Dylan is bright as a button and picks things up really quickly. He is very food driven and regularly checks out the humans at the DP to see if they are carrying treats. He scores eight times out of ten ! I wish that I had had his confidence when I was looking for a girlfriend. You can actually see him working things out by the expression on his face

    Jasper is not quite as switched on as Dylan - maybe it's his age, BUT - he knows how to open anything with a handle on it - lever handles - pull handles and of course famously the fridge door - forcing me to buy a new fridge that had a less accessible door ! I can now keep eggs in my fridge for more than one day.

    Now my friends dogs - Murphy in particular, do not have the foggiest idea how to open anything ! Both Murphy and Amber can be left in a room with food in the lower cupboards. Show Murphy a ball though and his OCD surfaces. He is a champion retriever and would throw himself off a cliff in pursuit of a ball !

    OK - it's a slow day at work ;-)

  2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements
     

  3. #2
    kassabella's Avatar
    kassabella is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Wellington New Zealand
    Posts
    9,926

    Default

    We all know how smart Erns is. Like Dylan I can see him work things out. He creates a diversion and runs back and steals your dinner. He will stick the corner of a toy in the fridge door when I open it and I go about doing things thinking it has closed. He can open doors with handles.

    Smart boys these. You can't tell me dogs don't think.

    Tessa is a thick as 2 short planks. Erns has been teaching her to counter surf. Steal and run Tessy..steal and run. She steals and stands to eat while he watches me take it off her. By the time I catch him it has been inhaled and puked up later to eat in peace.
    She is getting better. She stole a quarter of a ham and both had a peice. I know it was her as she pooped the tin foil it was wrapped in.

    Kassa 25/11/01 - 09/02/05 O.S Jaw cancer forever in my heart.
    Ernie 25/11/01 adopted May 05
    Sam 11? adopted Nov 06 - 18/12/07 Lyphoma
    Tessa. Rescued June 2011.
    Bone Cancer Dogs org.http://www.bonecancerdogs.org/
    http://kassabella.tripod.com/kassabella/
    http://collarsbychris.weebly.com/

  4. #3
    Samson is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Kent, England
    Posts
    21,293

    Default

    [QUOTE=kassabella;1677240]We all know how smart Erns is. Like Dylan I can see him work things out. He creates a diversion and runs back and steals your dinner. He will stick the corner of a toy in the fridge door when I open it and I go about doing things thinking it has closed. He can open doors with handles.

    Smart boys these. You can't tell me dogs don't think.

    Tessa is a thick as 2 short planks. Erns has been teaching her to counter surf. Steal and run Tessy..steal and run. She steals and stands to eat while he watches me take it off her. By the time I catch him it has been inhaled and puked up later to eat in peace.
    She is getting better. She stole a quarter of a ham and both had a peice. I know it was her as she pooped the tin foil it was wrapped in.[/QUOTE]

    That made me chuckle ! I pulled a plastic bag out of Dylans butt the other day - I thought it was going on forever - must have been 30cm

  5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements
     

  6. #4
    javasmom is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Massachusetts
    Posts
    4,663

    Default

    Java is very intelligent. She sits back and watches everything and then uses what she needs.

    I go back and forth with Moka...sometimes I think she is very smart, other times I fear she is dumb as a post.

    For example....we have an all glass storm door. Brian was changing the screen out, putting the glass in for winter. So there was nothing in the door. Moka walked up to the door and wanted to go out. I tried telling her to go ahead, that there was nothing in the door and she could walk right through but she wouldn't. I had to open the EMPTY door to let her out. When she was done and wanted to come back in, she sat in front of the EMPTY door and waited for me to open it to come in. She could have just walked through the door, but she wouldn't-she just didn't get it. It cracked me up so I deliberately stepped through the door to see if she would follow me. Nope-she sat at the door and whined until I opened it and then she walked out.

    She was also afraid of her TOENAILS the other night. She must have just discovered them because she was grooming herself and when she got to her feet she jumped a mile in the air on the couch, then was afraid to get back on the couch until she realized that her toenails were attached to her and not something on the couch trying to bite her.

  7. #5
    patm's Avatar
    patm is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    SE Ohio
    Posts
    8,657

    Default

    I think that both of my dogs are farily smart, but not extremely "clever". Too early to think of any stories right now

  8. #6
    Samson is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Kent, England
    Posts
    21,293

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by javasmom View Post
    Java is very intelligent. She sits back and watches everything and then uses what she needs.

    I go back and forth with Moka...sometimes I think she is very smart, other times I fear she is dumb as a post.

    For example....we have an all glass storm door. Brian was changing the screen out, putting the glass in for winter. So there was nothing in the door. Moka walked up to the door and wanted to go out. I tried telling her to go ahead, that there was nothing in the door and she could walk right through but she wouldn't. I had to open the EMPTY door to let her out. When she was done and wanted to come back in, she sat in front of the EMPTY door and waited for me to open it to come in. She could have just walked through the door, but she wouldn't-she just didn't get it. It cracked me up so I deliberately stepped through the door to see if she would follow me. Nope-she sat at the door and whined until I opened it and then she walked out.

    She was also afraid of her TOENAILS the other night. She must have just discovered them because she was grooming herself and when she got to her feet she jumped a mile in the air on the couch, then was afraid to get back on the couch until she realized that her toenails were attached to her and not something on the couch trying to bite her.
    Now that's clever ! What would have happened if it was a camoflaged murderer diguised as a toenail. She'd be dead now !

    When I walk Dylan in the dark, he runs ahead barking to frighten any assailants off ! It works ! I've never seen one !

  9. #7
    javasmom is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Massachusetts
    Posts
    4,663

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Samson View Post
    When I walk Dylan in the dark, he runs ahead barking to frighten any assailants off ! It works ! I've never seen one !
    Every Tuesday night without fail, when I take Java out for last call potty, she completely freaks out and tries to attack the trash barrels set out at the curb for trash pick up.

    Last night the wind was blowing, I took Java out, it was dark...the wind blew from behind her, so it blew up her butt-she jumped a friggin mile and ran screaming onto the porch. Scared the crap out of me.

    I think the correct description of Moka is "Book-smart, common sense stupid."
    She's also terrified of orange traffic cones.

  10. #8
    HersheyK's Dad's Avatar
    HersheyK's Dad is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Minnetonka, MN
    Posts
    10,307

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by javasmom View Post
    Every Tuesday night without fail, when I take Java out for last call potty, she completely freaks out and tries to attack the trash barrels set out at the curb for trash pick up.
    LOL! It's Monday night here, and Tuesday morning when it is still dark for the morning pee break.

    She also tries to scare off the snowman when he appears on the neighbor's front yard. AND that continues until the damn thing melts.
    Hershey Kisses, In charge of getting Ed out to the dog park so that he gets some exercise.

  11. #9
    javasmom is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Massachusetts
    Posts
    4,663

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by HersheyK's Dad View Post
    LOL! It's Monday night here, and Tuesday morning when it is still dark for the morning pee break.

    She also tries to scare off the snowman when he appears on the neighbor's front yard. AND that continues until the damn thing melts.
    Java successfully seeks and destroys any snowmen that happen to appear in our yard.
    My son actually makes Java a snowman after every storm, just so that she can kill it.

  12. #10
    Lexis Mom's Avatar
    Lexis Mom is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Trevose, PA
    Posts
    4,824

    Default

    Ahh, my Lexi, let's just say she is not the brightest bulb in the pack, sort of a like a flickering bulb.

    Moments of absolute brilliance that impress me & equally as many moments of complete dimness, where I wonder if she has 2 brain cells to rub together.

    My pretty girl, Lexi!

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. The three dogs side by side
    By Linda1 in forum Lab Chat
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 04-07-2006, 09:37 PM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
 

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25