Up-Date
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Up-Date

Alberta4Me is offline Junior Member

DefaultUp-Date

A few months ago I posted requesting advice on house-training. I thought I would give an up-date to those who so kindly gave me feedback.

My "girls" are Cinder and Ella, and they are now 6 months old. They are FANTASTIC! We finally got the house-training in order. They have been wonderful to have around the house. I am very lucky because they don't chew up things or destroy things in my house when they are left. They are both crate-trained (and like their crates) and sleep in their crates at night. During the day when I go to work, they have the run of the house. There have been absolutely no issues with that.

Ella is now about 45-50 lbs, and Cinder is probably around 30 lbs. Cinder has a heart condition that affects her metabolism. Cinder is already defying the odds and doing MUCH better than the vet ever hoped. She is the same height as her sister, she just doesn't have body fat. (That's why she is in a sweatshirt in the photo.) Both girls are happy and healthy. Getting both of them in June was one of the best things I've ever done.

Again, thank you!
    Suzanne

Puppies - 6 months.jpg

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

georgie is offline Senior Member

I am glad things are going well. You need to post more pictures of those two cuties.

Here are a couple more photos. Cinder, of course, is in the coat.

002.jpg 010.JPG

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

georgie is offline Senior Member

Aw...they are so sweet. Do you have to limit Cinder's activities due to her heart condition?

Sophiesmama is offline Senior Member

How sweet! Do they think Cinder's heart condition is something she will outgrow?
    ~Pam

Sophie DOB 04/13/2011 6 mo

8.5 mo.

Sophie 15 months, with Skye

No, Cinder isn't going to outgrow her condition. (Unfortunately.)

In June I actually planned on getting one puppy, but I ended up worried about the kind of home Cinder would go to. The breeders just wanted $50 for her due to the heart condition. All I could think of was the number of people who would want a purebred black lab for such a small amount...and then not make sure she gets the best care.

The vet originally told us that Cinder would probably not survive the operation when she gets spayed. He said that her getting pregnant would be worse overall though. Now he has told me that she might just make it through the operation. He is pleased that blood is obviously getting to where it needs to go in order for her to grow. Her breathing is more pronounced than Ella's. Sometimes it sounds a little rough, but the vet showed me how to check to see that she is getting enough oxygen. She can't go for walks as far or for as long as Ella. I also need to watch her body temperature, especially now that it is winter, since she has basically no body fat.

Cinder is very happy though. She plays with her sister and my mom's dog. She runs around in the backyard. She plays with her stuffies. Overall she is almost a "normal" dog. We just have to watch how much activity she gets and her breathing. She is an attention-hound and loves to be petted and cuddled. She has the sweetest personality of any dog I have ever met.

My only goal is to provide her with the best home I can. If she doesn't make it through her operation (which we are going to have done at the end of March), then I will know that she had a home where she was take care of and well loved. If she does make it through, then she will again have defied the odds and I get to love her for longer.

tammyhuffman is offline Senior Member

Awwww, what a wonderful story and such pretty girls. You are so kind and just awesome for making sure that Cinder has a wonderful, loving home for what ever time she may have. Your story brought tears to my eyes...

Dio's mama is offline Senior Member

What a wonderful thing you're doing for that pup! You have a heart of gold!
    Gabrielle
    Dio (Best Bud since July 18th, 2009)
    Kaity (Sweetheart since April 29th, 2012)

mitziandjudysmom is offline Senior Member

Prayers for Cinder to keep on beating the odds. Please keep us posted.

tkeizer is offline Senior Member

Both of your pups are just adorable and it sounds like you're giving Cinder (and Ella) a very loving home!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast