How do they know?

Thread: How do they know?

AbbyandMolly is offline Senior Member

DefaultHow do they know?

I laid in bed pondering this earlier this morning. How do our dogs just seem to know certain things?

For example: Molly and Penny both sleep with me at night, during the week around 7:30 I get up, let all 3 dogs out and feed them breakfast. Then I'll go get my self together, have breakfast and leave for school by 8:30 or 8:45 depending on the day of the week. However, on the off chance that I don't have my a.m. class or school is canceled I will go back to bed and shut my door. Without fail Molly or Penny and sometimes both will paw at my door and whine! How do they even know I'm in my room?! Or if they are outside/in the basement when I get home from work..I go upstairs to change, door is shut and they will come barreling up to my bedroom and whine at the door. Why? For all they know I could still be out of the house! It baffles me.
    *Stacey*
    ~Abby, Molly, and Penny (the honorary lab)

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Di
    Di is offline Senior Member

They hear your every move- they smell your scent- heck I don't know- LOL! Sammi knows when I roll over in bed a certain way that I am about ready to get up and breakfast will be shortly. Silly silly pooches!

Bob Pr. is offline Senior Member

They typically have far more sensitive hearing and sense of smell than we do.

I can look from my kitchen into the living room, see Puff curled up on her favorite chair asleep; when I cautiously open the plastic bag holding shelled walnuts so as to not make a sound, my hand containing a couple gets only halfway to my mouth when Puff is already near my side pleading "Sharesies! I want sharesies!"

Puff [YF, AKC field line (from competing HT/FT breeder) 62 lbs, dob: 8-'01]

Bess [BF, AKC bench line (from competing show breeder) 55 lbs., 1967-1981] "Poor Bess, the Wonder Dog":
    http://forum.justlabradors.com/showt...?p=748#post748

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

amazongold is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Pr. View Post
    They typically have far more sensitive hearing and sense of smell than we do.

I can look from my kitchen into the living room, see Puff curled up on her favorite chair asleep; when I cautiously open the plastic bag holding shelled walnuts so as to not make a sound, my hand containing a couple gets only halfway to my mouth when Puff is already near my side pleading "Sharesies! I want sharesies!"

The boys are like that with apples and bananas. We have a basket of fruit on the counter in the kitchen and all I have to do is pick up a piece of fruit and they suddenly both appear, out of thin air, drool-ometers at full blast.
    Jackie, Champ, and Buddy

AngusFangus is offline Senior Member

Oh, they do know certain things like that! It's astounding. And hilarious! I think it can be attributed to their super-powers of hearing and smell, as Bob said.

Here's a bizarre example: Because of his tendency to eat inappropriate objects, I like to practice "Drop it" a lot with Angus. I decided at one point to start practicing this with the cardboard tube left at the end of the roll of paper towels. It's a low-value object, and no harm done if he does actually swallow a little cardboard.

Well, I should say it WAS a low-value object... LOL!

Angus now knows the exact sound that the last paper towel makes as it's being taken off the roll. Not the next-to-the-last, or the first, but if you take off the last paper towel he comes BOUNDING into the kitchen, because he knows the roll is about to be replaced and he will get to play this awesome game:

He takes the cardboard roll, goes into the living room and waits for me to begin. When I arrive (and only when I arrive...I must watch him for this part), he begins to shred the cardboard tube. After a certain amount of time has elapsed, I say, "ANGUS, DROP IT!" He drops it gleefully and bounds back into the kitchen and jumps up and down in front of the cookie jar.

I will never have to worry about his "drop it" with cardboard paper towel tubes.
    Last edited by AngusFangus; 11-14-2009 at 03:06 PM.

justine is offline Senior Member

They are smart!

Felix is offline Senior Member

One thing dogs can do for sure, is counting, plus youre daily routine .. So, it makes you predictable for youre dogs

LuvRgirl is offline Senior Member

Bella lets me know daily that it's almost dinner time 20 minutes beforehand. The time change didn't affect her, how odd is that? She will pop up and look at me and paw at me gently as if to say " Hey lady, you better be aware that it's almost dinner time, because I am ready for some yummy for my tummy. Even taking her on road trips doesn't change her internal clock, nor if she eats her other meals earlier or later. She sure is one smart cookie!
    Sweet Bella Mia at Zion National Park.

georgie is offline Senior Member

I don't know but they do. All three of mine can be snoring away in the living room & if I dare to even rustle a cookie bag....all three are by my side in an instant. Go figure.

Seamus Lab is offline Senior Member

I've seen mine be upstairs sleeping and if someone opens the refrigerator door downstairs you hear 8 feet hit the floor and come running down looking for a handout.