Runner or a plodder?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Runner or a plodder?

Kate3jays is offline Senior Member

DefaultRunner or a plodder?

Mine are all so different in the ways in which they choose to enjoy their walks,

We just got back from an hour on the forest trails.

Jasper obviously has slowed down the pace an awful lot now on account of him almost being 13, he is content to walk along side us, stopping occasionally to stiff or go about his business, he still has the enthusiasm to run and will get a little spurt on but his body just wont let him any more.

Jasmine never and I mean never stops, she leaps, bounds, chases, retrieves, pesters for the ball to be thrown and has to be reminded to take 5 and go do a wee!, She is a lean machine of pure energy that she craves to burn off, her long pink tongue is always lolling and she is always ready for the next ball to be thrown or the next water hole to dive into.

Jed is a plodder, content to plod along at a pace determined and set by himself, he has to sniff every blade of grass, every bough of bracken and carefully and strategically avoid anything wet that might cause his feet to get damp. He's a flower investigator, a butterfly chaser and a general lazy lump.

I find it fascinating that they all have the same influences yet are so very different in lots of ways, so what are your guys like?

"some days you are the dog, some days you are the tree!"
    Kate mom to Jed Jasmine and Joelly
    http://www.glosmerelabradors.co.uk/#

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

2blacklabs is offline Senior Member

Both of my girls are different also....

Rudder - She should go with Jed. She trots along, snooting, checking in with me every 5 minutes or so and avoids anything wet. We call her Miss Princess Prissy Paws.

Scupper - She is another story and she is just like Jasmine. I hate walking her during this time of year because even a leaf rustling across the street is enough to bring her out of ditch bounding after it! She is into and on top of everything that moves and this lasts our entire walk.

I do not know how you do it with 3 Kate, walking 2 is a challenge let alone 3!!

kaznalf is offline Senior Member

Alfie has never plodded he has always sprinted everywhere except when his lead goes back on...id like a dog that walked along side me but it isnt gonna happen until I leanr to run as fast as him lol

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Di
    Di is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by kaznalf View Post
    Alfie has never plodded he has always sprinted everywhere except when his lead goes back on...id like a dog that walked along side me but it isnt gonna happen until I leanr to run as fast as him lol
    This is Sammi unless she is on the lead she is a sprinting, butt tucking machine!

amazongold is offline Senior Member

Champ trots everywhere in the park, from one smell to the next, trying to get in as much as he can as fast as he can. He never walks.

Buddy takes his time, has a leisurely stroll, 'niffing here, peeing there, rolling on that 'special' spot.

Then one of them gets a wild hair and they are off chasing each other!
    Jackie, Champ, and Buddy

justine is offline Senior Member

Abbey runs around like a mad woman.. always.

Felix is offline Senior Member

Laika is a type of Labrador, who is always waiting for some thing to retrieve. If you ignore it, she just pickup a stick or some thing familiar, and she just walks behind you, following you, and waiting on you, to throw something.

Otherwise she doesnt do anything out of her self, not even go for a snig at a other dog

Baloo317 is offline Senior Member

Baloo is like Jasmine, constant go go GO!

When we go hiking in an area that allows them to be off-leash, he darts ahead, quickly checking stuff out on the run. Then darts back to make sure we're still coming, then darts ahead again.

Peanut is an explorer, won't get too far away from us, always keeps an eye out to make sure we don't lose her, but has to check out everything she has time for along the way. And always staying alert in case there are squirrels or birds in need of chasing. Once she took off after a herd of deer! Ambitious little dog!
    Kate
    Baloo - 5 year old black lab
    Peanut - 7 year old minpin
    Monster - 3-ish year old frenchie/jack, rescue
    We're Superdogs!

amazongold is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by Baloo317 View Post
    Peanut is an explorer ... Once she took off after a herd of deer! Ambitious little dog!
    That just cracked me up! I wonder what she would have done if they stopped and let her catch them?
    Jackie, Champ, and Buddy

MNLab is offline Senior Member

Kate,
    I love how you describe each of them! Very cute. I can just see Jed!

Daisy is a sniffer too, and her nose is to the ground the entire time. Nothing deters her from searching for a good scent!
    Chantel and...

Daisy, Hayshaker She's Utterly Unforgettable, CGC
    Lola, our mellow yellow gal. Gotcha on 1-7-07

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast