How Long Can She go Without Eating?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: How Long Can She go Without Eating?

Chi&LabLover is offline Senior Member

DefaultHow Long Can She go Without Eating?

When we brought Eden home that first day, my husband hand fed her to get her to eat. She ate, with much reluctance and it took her about an hour to finish her food (longest I've ever seen a lab take to eat!) I understand with the change in environment and her being stressed she probably wouldn't be too keen on eating at the moment. However, we picked her up Saturday, she ate that night, she didn't eat at all Sunday, I took her over to her dish, she looked at it and walked away, but she did drink her water. She wouldn't eat at all yesterday. And WOULDN'T drink water. Today, I broke down and brought the food dish over to her bed (which is where she seems most comfortable to spend all her time, either on the bed, or on my feet) and she ate it all, and drank all of her water. I was trying to avoid making special circumstances because I don't want her to get used to me doing things this way, because it won't always be this way...but at the same time I worry that she's going to starve! I know they can go so long without food, I'm just not sure how long is too long...and especially with the whole water thing! Help please!

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

deidra is offline Senior Member

Dogs wont starve themselves. Is she on a feeeding schedule? if not I would get her on one. Don't leave food down all day so she can "graze" on it. A family friends dog wouldn't eat either. They didt have her on a shedule once they got her on a schedule with a lot of exercise and food being given at teh same time everyday she started to eat. They would walk her at 6A.M feed her at 7. then if she didnt eat it in 20 minutes it was picked back up again. Then around 4p.m. after a lot of exercise during the day she was fed again. if she did't eat it in 20 minutes it was picked back up and not given to her untill the next day.
    ~It doesn't matter how smart the dog is,it matters how smart the owner is.

BigBrownDog is offline Senior Member

She won't starve herself. I would stop babying her - the sooner you just make a normal routine for her the sooner she'll get with the program.
    Sharon, Blaise and Diesel.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

She's been on the same routine as my other dogs since the day we brought her home. We walk them as soon as we get up which is between 7 and 8 am, they eat twenty minutes after we get home and they each have twenty minutes to eat their food before it's put up. Same goes in the evening. I was just beginning to worry because I can't imagine she's not hungry, it's been three days!

tammyhuffman is offline Senior Member

Poor girl, she is having a hard time. I would just be patient and consistent with her, sounds like you are doing all the right things. Is she eating any treats or anything at all?

No treats, she just licks them. I just hope there isn't anything wrong...someone just asked me if it was possible she could be pregnant. I really hope that's not the case...I know she isn't fixed yet, as she came on a spay contract and I have an appt to get her spayed next week. If she is pregnant I don't know what I will do because I definitely have NO experience with that!

tammyhuffman is offline Senior Member

Oh dear Lord, what made them question that? Just take a deep breath, you will be fine!

Luvmydog2much is offline Senior Member

How old is Eden? If she's older, I'd let her come around on her own or try crating her to eat.
    'Don't grow up too quickly, lest you forget how much you love the beach.'
    ~ Michelle Held

Rhys, Ruby and Nola

Melissa is offline Senior Member

What kind of bowl is it? When we first brought Kacey home, she wasn't used to the stainless steel bowl - it freaked her out. The first day we let her eat her food directly off the floor. Then we did half and half. Then it was all in the bowl and she had to eat at meal time or it got put away.

I agree with everyone else - she'll come around when she's hungry enough. Kacey learned. It just took her a few days.

Everything will be okay in the end. If it's not okay, it's not the end. -- Unknown

She's two and a half. I am not sure what made them think that, they just said that she acts and looks like a lot of other dogs that they've seen who were pregnant. I really hope that's not the case.
    I'm not sure the bowl is the issue because if I hold the bowl she will eat out of it...it just seems she doesn't want to leave her bed to get up and eat. She would rather just lay on the bed all day. However, when she is outside I have noticed her perk up. It's like a completely different Eden. Her tail will be out and wagging and her ears will be perked up too.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast