How Long Can She go Without Eating? - Page 2
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: How Long Can She go Without Eating?

tammyhuffman is offline Senior Member

Why don't you try feeding her outside and bringing the bowl inside within a few days?

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Campfire_Dog is offline Senior Member

Could she be pineing for someone or another dog? What is her story?

"If you are not living on the edge you are taking up too much room."

"Jack catching a few rays."

Sophiesmama is offline Senior Member

I wonder if she was penned up and her food and bed were together at the place you got her from. Maybe she is used to that. Or, maybe she gets nervous around people and other dogs, and only eats when separated. Dunno, I would just be patient. We never know what a dog went through or what they have to un-learn when they are older when you get them.
    ~Pam

Sophie DOB 04/13/2011 6 mo

8.5 mo.

Sophie 15 months, with Skye

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Chi&LabLover is offline Senior Member

She was kenneled with her bed at night, whether that is where they fed her or not, I do not know but I assume so. She was left outside in a caged area with about six or so other dogs during the day and at night was brought in to her kennel which she shared with another dog. That is as much as I know about her life before us.

BigBrownDog is offline Senior Member

Have you had her to the vet yet? As with getting a puppy, a vet visit should be one of the first things you do. I would be concerned about her lack of drinking more than anything - she needs to get checked.
    Sharon, Blaise and Diesel.

Tanya is offline Senior Member

I am more concerned about the not drinking as well (same as Sharon).

Some of my fosters did not eat at first. In fact, we split up three brothers (they were 5mts) and none of them were eating. I put the bowl down and removed it after 10 minutes (if that) and usually he had eaten just bait. He was eating less than a cup a day for a week before I tried adding some canned food - mostly because it was a puppy. he came around, it was just a question of time.

Personally - I would crate her with her food, give her maybe 15 minutes then remove the food and I agree with a vet check. I would give it a few more days (as she did eat) but definatley look at getting her drinking before that, maybe try washing the bowl or trying another TYPE of bowl (some dogs are picky on what they will drink from - maybe ask the breeder what they used).

IF she were pregnant I would get the breeder to be 100% helpful with the process, as it was them that gave her to you pregnant and they should honestly WANT to be there and help (maybe even have her there for the whelp) as they should love her right!
    Charlie (foster) and Rocky

Chi&LabLover is offline Senior Member

I got her to drink quite a bit tonight. She was even moving around more tonight as well. Followed me everywhere I went, until I went to class this evening, then she slept on my hubby's feet all night. She has her vet appt next Wednesday, it was the earliest they could get her in. However, if she keeps avoiding eating and doesn't continuing drinking as she did tonight, I may call the animal clinic near my house just to see if I could get her seen earlier. While I think lab puppies are adorable, I am crossing my fingers that she is not pregnant, as I do not know how to deal with that (hopefully the breeder would help but at the same time I wouldn't count on that), and also, my husband would be fighting me tooth and nail because I know if I'm around a litter of puppies for too long I will end up keeping AT LEAST one haha.

kassabella is offline Senior Member

Could she be sick. I just thought if she didn't want to leave her bed maybe she is sore. Gut, joints or other.

Another idea is will she eat outside. If she has lived most of her life outside and with other dogs she might be missing them. Maybe feeding her outside and slowly bring her in. Really grabbing at straws here bit I wonder if she is missing her buddies.

Good thoughts she eats soon.
    Last edited by kassabella; 11-09-2011 at 03:17 AM.

Kassa 25/11/01 - 09/02/05 O.S Jaw cancer forever in my heart.
    Ernie 25/11/01 adopted May 05
    Sam 11? adopted Nov 06 - 18/12/07 Lyphoma
    Tessa. Rescued June 2011.
    Bone Cancer Dogs org.http://www.bonecancerdogs.org/
    http://kassabella.tripod.com/kassabella/
    http://collarsbychris.weebly.com/

amazongold is offline Senior Member

She may just be overwhelmed with all the freedom in the house and is not comfortable three yet. This is totally different that what she was used to.

When we first got Buddy, all he knew was being crated indoors and occasional breaks outdoors to play and potty. He was not comfortable laying on a dog bed or the floor, he only felt 'safe' in his crate. It took a month or so before he relaxed enough to sleep outside his crate. He still spends a lot of time in his crate, by choice, and prefers the kind of beds with bolsters around them or a doughnut that sort of encloses him.
    Jackie, Champ, and Buddy

tammyhuffman is offline Senior Member

From the way you described your feelings about the breeder you got her from I can not imagine you taking her back there to have puppies and leaving her for 8 weeks. I wonder if it would set back any progress you have made with her so far, just thinking here. It sounds like she spent all of her time with other dogs, caged or kenneled. Does not sound like she had a whole lot of human interaction or house time. I agree that she may be missing her buddies and all she has known in her life is a caged area or kennel. She probably ate in that area and since she did eat by her bed it sounds like it may have been familiar to her. I would feed her by the bed or outside, what ever works, and slowly move the bowl to where you want her to eat. She will figure it out. Definitely make sure she is drinking water, that would concern me more than the food and I would move the water bowl to her bed if necessary. She sounds so confused and overwhelmed, poor baby. Just keep loving her and be patient, she will come around.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast