Leashed Fetch?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Leashed Fetch?

DefaultLeashed Fetch?

Margot is "usually" good at staying by my and/or my friend's side when she's not leashed - which is not often - but I'm not really comfortable with it. Sometimes she does get in her stubborn moods and just wants to misbehave. Which is another thing. Most times she is good at staying by my side when I leash walk her but sometimes she just doesn't want to listen, what gives? Anywho, back to the point at hand. We have a large, large field by our apartment where everybody takes their dogs to play and I'd like to go there and play fetch with Margot. The place is fenced in or anything but I'd still like to play fetch with her. Is there a way to do it on a staked lead without her getting hurt or tangled up? Maybe a harness or something? One of those retractable lines I've seen on dogs?

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

nellies mom is offline Senior Member

When I could not trust my dogs to come to me I put them on a 30 foot lead and let them drag it.
    ~~~~~~~~
    Danie
    Nellie, CGC
    Bailey
    Gunner
    Munchie
    ~~~~~~~~
    The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated. -- Gandhi

Tanya is offline Senior Member

i find a long line easier, as suggested above.

recall is TRAINED. you have to train the dog what "come" means (or whatever word you use) and in the training phase you must never use this word unless you are 100% sure the dog will come. the more you say the word and the dog "is allowed" to disregard it the less it will ever work. it means nothing to them with time. Dogs are not born knowing they are to "come to you" whenever you feel like they should come to you. It can be the longest and most difficult command to train with some dogs.

I HIGHLY HIGHLY HIGHLY recommend you take an obedience classes with your pup. it will help teach you how to train her and help build your relationship.

ETA: tips for a long line - tie knots here and hter eon the rope so you can step on it to stop them from running. Always ALWAYS be aware of where the rope is - and beware of rope burn. It takes some getting used to, I've done it a lot and have been tripped and gotten major hand burns. don't use a chocker chain or anything around the neck for this though. And not all dogs are good on this, I had one foster that was just a crazy crazy pup and we had to stop using the long line, we were BOTH getting injured. but a lot of dogs do ok.
    Last edited by Tanya; 11-06-2011 at 07:43 PM.
    Charlie (foster) and Rocky

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Yeah, that is the main reason I'm uncomfortable with letting her off the leash sometimes. She never was really trained yet to come when called or to stay by our sides - she just kind of did. She usually comes but sometimes there seems to be stipulations. Hence, my next question. Is there any reason why she won't come to me if I'm standing and only when I'm kneeling? Actually, sometimes she'll come to me when I'm standing but not all the time but she always comes to me if I'm kneeling.

Yeah, I don't believe in chokers. But a harness would be better than anything, right?

kassabella is offline Senior Member

I do as Danie suggested with a long lead.
    Kassa was very good, then suddenly she started to ingore me. I asked the trainer who said I had let off the long lead too soon. Common mistake. As soon as they start we think they have it, when often they don't.

I am at this stage with Tessa. She has been sitting on command and doing well. Yesterday in front of people she refused. Ok lady we need to go back to basics and work at it for a bit more.

Kassa 25/11/01 - 09/02/05 O.S Jaw cancer forever in my heart.
    Ernie 25/11/01 adopted May 05
    Sam 11? adopted Nov 06 - 18/12/07 Lyphoma
    Tessa. Rescued June 2011.
    Bone Cancer Dogs org.http://www.bonecancerdogs.org/
    http://kassabella.tripod.com/kassabella/
    http://collarsbychris.weebly.com/

Tanya is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by Starving_Sound View Post
    Yeah, that is the main reason I'm uncomfortable with letting her off the leash sometimes. She never was really trained yet to come when called or to stay by our sides - she just kind of did. She usually comes but sometimes there seems to be stipulations. Hence, my next question. Is there any reason why she won't come to me if I'm standing and only when I'm kneeling? Actually, sometimes she'll come to me when I'm standing but not all the time but she always comes to me if I'm kneeling.

Yeah, I don't believe in chokers. But a harness would be better than anything, right?
    for working on a long line a harness is good, you want something gentle in case they pull on the end (you don't really want a "correction" here. for walking make sure you use a no-pull harness if you really want to go the harness route - otherwise you are putting on something MADE to encourage a dog to pull!

EVEN if this dog has learned a recall with whoever they were before, you need to build a new one with a dog. it isn,t something they learn once from one person then will apply with everyone at all times. You need to work on training this dog from scratch (with the advantage that she has some basics so she should pick up more quickly).

The best way to get a dog to come your way is to turn around and walk or run in the opposite direction. You are more fun and inviting when you are kneeling which is probably why that works better than standing (a more rigid and boring posture, much less inviting)

Again, please please please take some obedience classes with this pup.
    Charlie (foster) and Rocky

@Kassa

Yeah. Weird thing is what I was trying to do is get her to follow me around without a leash unless it was absolutely needed. But I had a reason. I had two roommates once that had brand new pups both the same age. One was a full pit bull and the other was a full American Bulldog. The thing is the one guy with the AB started her on a leash and she always ran away whenever she had a chance. Out the door, out the car, etc. The other guy NEVER put his dog on the leash and that dog never wandered off or ran anywhere. He always stayed by our - whoever had him at time - side. I figured there was something to that but now I think not.

And when I say never I mean unless he had to take him to the vet.

@Tanya

Yeah, I'm looking for some in my area. I don't drive so I can't go too far. But I'm looking. If anything I think I might get the clicker training video by Kiko something. She has a bunch of informative videos on Youtube for free already.

Thanks, everybody.

carrot is offline Member

Are the long leads OK to use with a head collar?
    Blessings from Cara and Chief!

*Born 7 Nov 2004 * Joined us 9 Aug 2011 *
    + Crossed the Bridge 27 Feb 2013 +

kassabella is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by Starving_Sound View Post
    @Kassa

Yeah. Weird thing is what I was trying to do is get her to follow me around without a leash unless it was absolutely needed. But I had a reason. I had two roommates once that had brand new pups both the same age. One was a full pit bull and the other was a full American Bulldog. The thing is the one guy with the AB started her on a leash and she always ran away whenever she had a chance. Out the door, out the car, etc. The other guy NEVER put his dog on the leash and that dog never wandered off or ran anywhere. He always stayed by our - whoever had him at time - side. I figured there was something to that but now I think not.

And when I say never I mean unless he had to take him to the vet.
    I often wonder about why some dogs do it and some do. Training helps, but some never get it. Is it the call of the wild, or they don't want to leave their owner.

Kassa I had as a pup and she was great. She would walk beside me in off lead places. She would go a few feet away, sniff and come back or wait.

Erns I adopted at 3.5 and never trained.He was allowed to wander. I spend months doing the long lead. Long story short trainers told me I could never let him off lead. . One said maybe if he bonds with you he may not run away. As soon as I opened the front door he would appear, squash between peoples legs and off. I trained him to sit in a spot in the hall. No matter who comes to the door he will sit and then go to the pantry for his treat. If he gets out and pasts the front of the property there is no getting him back.
    Took 3 years before I could let him off the lead at the beach and not have to spend 3 hours running up and down trying to catch him.
    One day I let him off the lead and he followed me. If I take him to the dog park, let him off for 15 mins before I see the "look". If I leave it 1 min after that he is off. I could have half a cow in my pocket and it wouldn't matter. The call of the wild is still too exciting for him. On lead he is great.

Tessa hasn't been trained. Like Erns not basic toilet trained. She wants to stay close to me so doesn't take off. But I am not going to relax with this as she may do. I will train her and hopefully she will be good. On lead she is a nightmare.

Gems wasn't trained and at first would scale a fence to get out. Three years later she never takes off.

ETA. Gems was trained off lead to follow. Problem was she was terrible on a lead, which you need most of the time. Walking the streets with her was a nightmare.

Kassa 25/11/01 - 09/02/05 O.S Jaw cancer forever in my heart.
    Ernie 25/11/01 adopted May 05
    Sam 11? adopted Nov 06 - 18/12/07 Lyphoma
    Tessa. Rescued June 2011.
    Bone Cancer Dogs org.http://www.bonecancerdogs.org/
    http://kassabella.tripod.com/kassabella/
    http://collarsbychris.weebly.com/

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast