Share some of your favourite Lab stories.

Thread: Share some of your favourite Lab stories.

kassabella is offline Senior Member

DefaultShare some of your favourite Lab stories.

I thought it would be nice for us to get to know everyones dogs.

Over the years I learned never tie a dog to a table, or chair and when my bad boy wants to go through blinds or drapes nothing stops him.lol.He is a character and makes me laugh...maybe not at the time. I think te plumber sti;ll rmebers the lab that gave him the wedge..lol

Erns catches a fish story.

While at the beach I let Ernie off thinking he would go into the water. He ran over to two fishermen and their boys bringing in their boat. Next thing I knew he has his head in their fish box. I yell No Ernie….No..!!too late. He started running down the beach with the stolen fish. I heard one man say that was the best fish they ever caught and start to chase Erns. I called to them to stop as it is a game to him. He stopped several feet from us daring someone to come and get him. We waited. Erns teased with a smile...come get it..I dare you... Erns always loves this game.

Ernie then demonstrated how to kill things and give the fish a jolly good shaking. The fish flew out of his mouth dropping not far from me. Oh yuck… do I have to pick it up. Ewwww. Erns started looking for it and while his back was turned I ran grabbed the fish and ran up the beach trying to hold it away from me. Ewww... yuckky.. Well we all know it is useless trying to out run a Labrador, but I was desperate. My out stretched arm was dropping with the weight of the fish. Ernie was getting closer. Leave Ernie.. Leave..!!! He grabbed the fish, I yanked and he slowed down to eat the bit in his mouth.

Someone said throw it. My throwing skills are not as good as Ernies catching skills. As I watched the fish fly straight up in the air I wished I had never sat on the couch teaching him to catch, pillows, toys, magazines, rolled up blankets etc.

Ernie positioned himself. I swear I heard him call.. Mine.. mine, I got it..I got it.. Mr bad hips, bandy boy leapt up and caught the fish mid air. He was so excited he ran straight into the arms of the boy who managed to rescue the mangled fish.

I was so embarrassed. I knew I couldn't offer to replace it so apologised and slunk off to the car. While I was putting on the bad boys harness a woman asked what time was the next show.

Kassa 25/11/01 - 09/02/05 O.S Jaw cancer forever in my heart.
    Ernie 25/11/01 adopted May 05
    Sam 11? adopted Nov 06 - 18/12/07 Lyphoma
    Tessa. Rescued June 2011.
    Bone Cancer Dogs org.http://www.bonecancerdogs.org/
    http://kassabella.tripod.com/kassabella/
    http://collarsbychris.weebly.com/

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

RebaHalle is offline Senior Member

My story nor story telliing ability ranks even close to Erns. That is a good one.

Our first lab, Crissy, was a young dog when the landlord and us were in the yard talking. He was squatted on the ground and eating an apple; talking with his hands was the mistake he made. Crissy swept by and deftly snatched that apple and proceded to eat it about 10 foot away. Luckily he was a great landlord. Now, if that had been his wife.... we would have probably been evicted.

Crissy was a great dog. She went on to entertain us by wrestling with huge wooden fence posts that she would roll over her shoulders from one side to the other. She also was the dog that kept bringing rocks out of the creek and leaving them in the yard. Everytime we mowed we had to pick up rocks. It was also Crissy that fetched the watermelon out of the creek where it was cooling.

Then there was Patty, the lab mix that carried some terrier in her soul. Never a dull moment and everything included a non-stop tail.

Now there is Reba, 10, looking way older than she should, but say the work "Park" and she is 2 again. Reba is probably the most alert dog I have ever owned. She notices if anything changes. I credit her 'lert' with saving my husband. He had gone downstairs in the middle of the night to the kitchen to take an aspirin and fainted, hitting his head. When he came to he couldn't get up and was disoriented and was calling for help. Reba heard him and went to the stairs. Seeing him at the bottom of the stairs she began barking which woke me. I think it was just her reaction to something being different, but it was a godsend. Of course there have been funny 'lerts' -- like seeing the big, new trailer mirrors on the truck. Or the shovel leaning against the barn. An unrelated other funny of Reba, is racing by Halle, the JRT, that had just spent an hour digging up a ground squirrel and snatching that creature. Talked about a miffed JRT!
    Judy, mom to Reba, the Lab, and Jalapeno (Halle), the JRT

I wasn't there but it was cute but it could have been ugly. My friend Jess is currently watching my lab mixed Margot. She has a large yard for her to romp around in and play. But on the side of her house by her study room she has a small koi pond. Margot is always trying to drink from it. Yes - she'll leave her perfectly fine water bowl after drinking from it and go straight to the pond and start drinking from that- too. She has a kindergartener and he saw Margot from the window drinking from the pond. He was trying to get her attention so he banged on the window and was saying "No, Margot, get away." He's a kid he doesn't know any better. Well - evidently he cracked the window when he did so and walked away. Not a minute later there was a crash. Jess went to see what it was. Her son was gone but right there in her study was Margot. Margot had leapt from the outside through the glass window. You can tell where the window was cracked earlier by some cracks that ran up but didn't break off. Jess' guess was that her son must have broke a piece off and Margot smelled the inside of the house or felt the air and thought it was open and leaped through. The whole window didn't shatter. Instead there was like a half a kite shape missing. But the hole is in such an odd position nobody can figure out how in the world Margot didn't get cut up one bit. Jess looked all over her and there was nothing.

Oh - and her son was hiding in the closet crying because he thought he was going to get in trouble for the window. But she explained to him that it was just an accident and it was alright.
    Last edited by Starving_Sound; 11-06-2011 at 09:19 PM.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

kassabella is offline Senior Member

Judy that is so funny. Your dogs sound so cute.
    That is cool Reba alerted you when your husband needed you.

Starving Sound. Thank goodness Margot was o.k. Poor wee boy crying.

Thank you for sharing those great stories..

Kassa 25/11/01 - 09/02/05 O.S Jaw cancer forever in my heart.
    Ernie 25/11/01 adopted May 05
    Sam 11? adopted Nov 06 - 18/12/07 Lyphoma
    Tessa. Rescued June 2011.
    Bone Cancer Dogs org.http://www.bonecancerdogs.org/
    http://kassabella.tripod.com/kassabella/
    http://collarsbychris.weebly.com/