No Crate Just Closet
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: No Crate Just Closet

DefaultNo Crate Just Closet

Alright - it's not exactly a closet. It's practically a short hallway and is meant as a storage room. I have two storage rooms in my apartment so for now until I'm sure she won't tear up my apartment - or I need more storage - I put Margot in the closet when I leave the house. There's plenty of room in there for her to move around and I also leave her with her water and food bowls. She doesn't ever potty in there - though - I do walk her thoroughly before I leave. And the longest I've ever left her was maybe five or six hours. I also don't leave her doggy bed in there because I know she'll tear it up as she tends to try when I'm around.

My question is not really if you all think that's a good idea - though I'm curious. But rather if it is alright to use that as her time out spot as well. I've read that time out is a good way to get your dog to chill out if they won't leave you alone. For instance - sometimes when I'm trying to rest Margot will want to play. She'll come next to me raise her rear and lower her front and growl or bark and then attack any body part that might be handy. If I don't give her anything handy to attack she'll go across the room and run and leap out of nowhere onto me or start trying to "attack" my face. I know she's just playing and I'd love to play with her but sometimes when she wants to play I have no desire to. The first time I tried to get her to calm down got me nowhere. It almost seemed to me that the more I tried the more she thought I was playing. After getting tired of it I just put her in her room. The thing I heard though as far as crates go is that you shouldn't use their crate as the time out area. And seeing as my storage space is her crate is that wrong of me to do?

Any suggestions or alternatives. By the way - the storage place is inside the apartment where it is equally heated and cooled as the rest of the apartment.

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

greg is offline Senior Member

sounds like a nice spot ,but I've heard that its a bad idea to use their crate/ closet as a time out spot. where they sleep should'nt be a negative.

Oh - I let her sleep out by me on her bed. I put her bed by me and she usually stays there throughout the night. It's technically only a "crate" in the sense that it's somewhere to keep her out of trouble when I'm not around for long periods at a a time.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Tanya is offline Senior Member

why not use a crate?

and I would not put a dog in a closet when I am in the house as a time out. just me.
    Charlie (foster) and Rocky

There's no room for a crate really and I think it would be redundant because the crate would only go in that room anyway. And it's not really a closet per se. I mean it is three of me standing up long if not longer and two and a half of me wide, it's basically a dead end hallway with a door. Not that you know either of my dimensions. But when I put her in the closet when I leave I give her a treat to go in so she knows that she's not being punished. But when I put her in for being too rowdy and not calming down I walk her there by the collar and scold her telling her "Time Out, Bad Girl". Probably could do it better but I'm so I'm doing research and stuff to get better.

When I say scold I don't mean yelling just a firm, stern voice.

Tanya is offline Senior Member

NEVER scold her as you put her in there. NEVER. if you absolutely have to put her in there cuz you need a break be calm and GENTLY (say nothing) put her in there. This a dog not a toddler you can negotiate with. they don't sit in time out thinking about what they did. it simply doesn't work like that. If you catch her doing something wrong, gently say "no YXZ" (be specific) and redirect. She is learning NOTHING by putting her in time out. seconds after the action she has already moved on (this goes for finding her AFTER she has done something as well - your an ONLY correct when they are IN THE ACTION).

I live in a 1 bedroom and have had three crates up - none were small dog crates either. you have to use your imagination abit and make it work. I would never use a closet, especially one with no windows.
    Last edited by Tanya; 11-06-2011 at 07:32 PM.
    Charlie (foster) and Rocky

nellies mom is offline Senior Member

Are you kidding. You put her in a large closet with the door closed, in the dark? Are you exercising her enough. Sounds like she needs more exercise and yes like a child they want attention when you are busy. It's a commitment you must make.
    ~~~~~~~~
    Danie
    Nellie, CGC
    Bailey
    Gunner
    Munchie
    ~~~~~~~~
    The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated. -- Gandhi

Belles mom is offline Senior Member

I use a crate both as a place of confinement when I am not at home or asleep, and as a time out when they are being obnoxious. I think they key to it is to NOT EVER do it in anger.

So, for instance, said dog is being an obnoxious litlle ass for what ever reason. I verbally mark that behavior. "ACK!"or "UH OHH!!!" (or whatever) and lead the dog to their crate. I toss a treat/kong/safe toy and command "kennel!" in a HAPPY voice and without emotion, put the dog in the crate. Calm down, and when you think you can cope again, let the dog out in a happy and joyous manner, they are once again your best friend in the whole world.

This accomplishes several things. the verbal marker of the behavior, tells the dog, THAT is what you find annoying. However, that marker MUST happen AS the dog is misbehaving.

Putting the dog into the crate ensures no one looses their temper.

By giving the dog a treat/toy while in the crate/kennel, it enforces the idea that it is a positive place, but the dog AND human get a time out.

So, at least in my mind...Dog misbehaves....there is a verbal marker which indicates (to the dog), UH OH! what I just did is wrong.

Dog is led to a crate as a time out. Time out is not "negative" per se, but it means "If I settle down, I get a treat" You NEVER want the crate (in your case closet) to be a negative thing. You need to turn a negative into a positive.

I am not sure about the closet though. Using a dark, isolated place as a "crate", for whatever reason just does not seem right. But, I do not know the specific situation. I would confine the dog where I could actually see it at all times. Once it has calmed down, release it from the crate/confinement. If the dog is in a closet...you can not know when it has calmed itself.

To me that is the key...Dog misbehaves, dog is separated from the situation....Dog calms down and finds itself happy (because of the treat/toy) and it is rewarded twofold. Gets the toy and is released back into society!!

REPEAT...REPEAT.....REPEAT..."REPEAT!!!
    Last edited by Belles mom; 11-06-2011 at 07:55 PM.

Karen and the gang
    BBI Kodi's Journey To Anotch (Journey)
    BBI Kodi's Blackpowder Striker (Flint)

kassabella is offline Senior Member

Only thing I would have second thoughts about the hall way is it is dark.
    A crate can be folded down when you are home, or could you put a gate up so she isn't shut away.If that is the only place you have then that is what you need to do and maybe leave the light on.

I never use their beds or places they spend time in as a time out. Your little hall sounds the perfect place for time out. I use the laundry for Erns. He knows now when I say laundry he needs to pull himself up. If I give him the look and say laundry he knows he has gone too far and trots off.lol. I have never closed the door as there is no window in there and never leave him more than 5 mins.

Kassa 25/11/01 - 09/02/05 O.S Jaw cancer forever in my heart.
    Ernie 25/11/01 adopted May 05
    Sam 11? adopted Nov 06 - 18/12/07 Lyphoma
    Tessa. Rescued June 2011.
    Bone Cancer Dogs org.http://www.bonecancerdogs.org/
    http://kassabella.tripod.com/kassabella/
    http://collarsbychris.weebly.com/

@Nellie's Mom

No - it's not in the dark. Like I said it's a room but basically a hallway. It has a light which I leave on. I'm not cruel. And yes I exercise her but there are times when even so she is still too wound up. And I'm slightly disabled and I get worn out easily. I don't mind if I'm feeling up to it but on rare occasions that I'm not up for it I need to rest so I can be later.
    Last edited by Starving_Sound; 11-06-2011 at 07:52 PM.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast