Teaching Tank another trick :)

Thread: Teaching Tank another trick :)

deidra is offline Senior Member

DefaultTeaching Tank another trick :)

He learns to fast so i am thinking of new tricks almost daily,lol. Well,Im lazy sometimes and don't shut the door all the way so i'm teaching him to shut the door. I'm starting him on the cage door outside since he can grip it better and help him learn how to keep his balnce(we have wooden floors in the house). I am using a treat right now and he is starting to get it. i show him i have a treat hold it up and tell him to shut the door(im in the inside of the pen). So he will put his paws on the door and jump like a kangaroo(sp?) to shut the door. He gets a good boy and the treat. Im hoping by next week he can do it without the treat. once he gets it down outside i am going to start asking him to do it in the house and see if he can get it in the house without falling. I might buy a rug or something to put under him to make it easier on him.

after he gets this down i will have to think of something else. Bentley gets a lot more physical activity then Tank but because Tank cant get as much physical activity as him I have to think of more mental things for him to do then i have to with bentley. We all know what will happen if we dont give them something to do and they have a lot of energy. Anyone got ideas? i was thinking abou teaching him to turn off lights but he is not gentle with his paws,lol.
    ~It doesn't matter how smart the dog is,it matters how smart the owner is.

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Sophiesmama is offline Senior Member

You're a good little mama Deidra! You always have good ideas for your babies! Be sure to post a picture of Tank's new trick.
    ~Pam

Sophie DOB 04/13/2011 6 mo

8.5 mo.

Sophie 15 months, with Skye

kassabella is offline Senior Member

Goosd for you. I like to keep them mentally stimulated.
    Get slippers, take my shoes to room, and my hand bag, pick up their toys. Dance. Erns barks his head off with this one.

I taught tap. It started when Kassa was doing agility and had to tap the box for the ball to come out.

I had an ice cream lid ( sqaure about 8 inches) and she learned to tap it. Then I used the lid to teach other things like close the gate and pick different coloured balls from a pile, by tapping a colour I had taught. Always a good party trick.

I tried teaching her to get the phone. The little bag refused and I gave up. One day friends and I were having lunch and madam wanting something to eat. She went around tapping everyone. Please..next person...please... I kept saying ignore her. She would get my jacket then lead when I said walk so when she went to my closet and starting bringing shoes and clothes entertaining everyone. Ignore her.

Then she bought the phone and put it on my knee. That wasn't ignored. lolol

Kassa 25/11/01 - 09/02/05 O.S Jaw cancer forever in my heart.
    Ernie 25/11/01 adopted May 05
    Sam 11? adopted Nov 06 - 18/12/07 Lyphoma
    Tessa. Rescued June 2011.
    Bone Cancer Dogs org.http://www.bonecancerdogs.org/
    http://kassabella.tripod.com/kassabella/
    http://collarsbychris.weebly.com/

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

I will post a video when ever i get the chance to. How did you teach kassa to bring the leash? Tank is not really mouthy so i dont know how I could get him to pick up the leash.

kassabella is offline Senior Member

When we get to the drive after a walk or from the car I take the lead off and got her to carry it. Think one of the first things I did. She was a smart cookie and didn't take long to work things out.
    Somedays I wondered why I did it.
    One day she must have been desperate for a walk and I said no walk. She got up on the back of armchair and put the lead on my shoulder, waited..., then slithered down behind me waited..... nudged me to the edge, waited ....then shoved me off.lol.

ETA. Oh I am so sorry. I am hijacking your post. Once I get on her I get carried away.
    Last edited by kassabella; 11-06-2011 at 03:46 PM.

Kassa 25/11/01 - 09/02/05 O.S Jaw cancer forever in my heart.
    Ernie 25/11/01 adopted May 05
    Sam 11? adopted Nov 06 - 18/12/07 Lyphoma
    Tessa. Rescued June 2011.
    Bone Cancer Dogs org.http://www.bonecancerdogs.org/
    http://kassabella.tripod.com/kassabella/
    http://collarsbychris.weebly.com/

Sophiesmama is offline Senior Member

Sophie will get her leash. We started out laying her leash in the floor by the door and pointing to it and saying "Sophie get your leash". At first she would just look at it. Then we would pick it up and offer it to her, saying " Sophie get your leash". We just kept doing that, and now when we say it she grabs it. It's so cute, she'll have it in the middle with the ends hanging out of her mouth.
    ~Pam

Sophie DOB 04/13/2011 6 mo

8.5 mo.

Sophie 15 months, with Skye

Ok I will give it a shot after we get the door training done. kris,its ok i love hearing stories about kassa. She sounds like she was an awsome dog! i am the same way when it comes to Snoopy or abby.

tammyhuffman is offline Senior Member

Wonderful ideas! Can't wait to see Tank closing the door and all the other stories are so entertaining! I love to hear everyone talk about the things their dogs do, the stories bring your much loved babies to life for me.

mitziandjudysmom is offline Senior Member

Good boy Tank. Keep up the good work.
    I taught our first Lab, Heidi (1980-1992) to crawl. First be sure they have a solid "down" and solid "come". Get them in a down, get on the floor at their eye level and tell them "come CRAWL". They will first try to get up to come, but as soon as they start to get up , insist on "down". Repeat come Crawl and "down" whenever they try to get up.

I'v treid teaching crawl but I never follow through. I will have to though. todays training was canceled since it is a mud pit outside and still raining!