Eden's Home! :)

Thread: Eden's Home! :)

Chi&LabLover is offline Senior Member

DefaultEden's Home! :)

We picked her up yesterday at 10:30! She is BEAUTIFUL. Such a sweet girl All she wants to do is lay at your feet and give kisses constantly. She LOVES the boys, though they aren't too sure of her yet (last they were around a big dog, Keelan wasn't even born yet and Josh was only six months or so). She doesn't bother the kid toys, a BIG PLUS. Though she doesn't seem interested in dog toys either? Here is where the issues come in...first, she is overweight..not much...but definitely a little, probably stems from the fact that he told me he was feeding her two cups of Iams in the morning and two cups in the evening. We bought a small bag of the food she was on so we can feed her that and then transition her to the blue buffalo...the blue bag says she should only be getting 2 1/2 to 3 cups daily. So I cut her back to 1 1/2 cups twice a day, we'll see how she does. She's 56 pounds now according to him (which is small for a lab I know, but she's definitely overweight, she doesn't have the "tuck"). She seems to have NO confidence. I'm not sure where this is coming from, obviously I have no idea how they treated her there, I assume good, he was good with her while we were there, but you can never know. We took her to the pet store when we got home so we could get her a few toys and the bag of dog food, she walked extremely low to the ground and her tail is ALWAYS tucked. Is there anything I can do to help this? Also, we walked all the dogs for a while before bringing them back into the house, and they were find on their walk together, but as I figured, Kong (my male chi) snapped at her once we got in the house, and she went right back at him and put her mouth around his stomach, granted, she didn't bite down, but it scared the heck out of me! Now I'm on edge worrying about if it's going to happen again (I know that's not a good thing, but I can't help it). Since then they've pretty much avoided each other, though today he growled at her, and she cowered away. I'm hoping that issue will work itself out in time, once they get used to each other.

On a side note, he had 15 beautiful yellow and chocolate lab pups up there, my husband had to pry me away, I love the chocolate English labs! Sooo beautiful!!! Eden is a yellow American lab...still beautiful I love all labs, just prefer the English. Anyhow, I told the breeder that if he still had some left in a few weeks, we may be back up...just have to convince the hubby haha, I don't think that would be too hard, judging from how he went ga ga over them as well, and my oldest son was IN LOVE with the one chocolate female they had. Some day

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

deidra is offline Senior Member

How old is Eden? just giver her time with her confidence. she was just taken away from her home and is still transitioning. it took Bentley my yellow lab a few eeks to get used to everything so just give it awhile. can't wait to see pictures of your new girl!
    ~It doesn't matter how smart the dog is,it matters how smart the owner is.

mitziandjudysmom is offline Senior Member

The transition into a new home must be tramatic for an older dog. It must be stressful for the boys too to have a newcomer in their pack. Give it time and they will probably all be best friends.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

nellies mom is offline Senior Member

My gut says she was not treated well. The slinking and tail between the legs. She also probably never went out in public. Give her time and lots of love.
    ~~~~~~~~
    Danie
    Nellie, CGC
    Bailey
    Gunner
    Munchie
    ~~~~~~~~
    The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated. -- Gandhi

nellie's mom, that's how I feel too. I wish I knew if that were the case. Either way, I just feel so sad for her when she crawls to the floor like that. I'm hoping once she realizes she will be treated wonderfully here and spoiled rotten she will come out of her shell. Seems like she doesn't even know what toys are, we bought her a few and she doesn't really take interest in them. She actually crawled up in my lap earlier haha, nothing like a 56 pound lap dog. Anyway, here are some pictures (as a side note, I sometimes feel like, when I look at her, she doesn't look pure bred lab to me, not that it matters, just curious, what do you guys think? Maybe I'm just used to the English style lab, as that's what our chocolate boy was and those are usually the ones I gravitate towards, I love the "blocky" heads)

Eden, Hubby and My Oldest Son Joshua

Sophiesmama is offline Senior Member

She's a pretty girl! How old is she? The rule of thumb for labs is 2 lbs per week of age, then at about 5 months they should be 50 lbs. A little more for males. Our Sophie is 6 1/2 months and 60lbs. She is lean and muscular looking. As far as your girl slinking along the floor on a leash, you have no way to know if she was ever leash trained. It might all be new to her. She is still trying to figure out how to act as part of a family. Everything is new. I wouldn't count on her not chewing up the kids toys. Once she becomes comfortable in your home, she no doubt will. We don't even have knick nacs or anything down where they can be reached. All shoes etc stay put up. Try not to bombard her with too much new things at once. Going to the pet store on top of a new home change might have been a little too soon. She needs to feel comfortable in her home environment, then gradually start taking her out for short walks. Lots of praise and treats. As far as your little dogs bosing Eden around...our 15 yr old toy poodle bosses Sophie. Sophie plays with her, when Honeybun is in the mood that is. Often I have seen her grab Honey's leg etc, but has never hurt her. I think she knows she's little.
    ~Pam

Sophie DOB 04/13/2011 6 mo

8.5 mo.

Sophie 15 months, with Skye

Eden is 2 and a half. How do I know when the "bossing" has gone too far? That's what I'm having a problem with. My vet told me that my chihuahua's probably will growl and snap a bit at first because it's their way of telling Eden how she should be behaving in their house? However, I obviously don't want any of the dogs getting hurt, so I'm wondering, should I even let this go on? I'm not sure how to correct my male chihuahua when he does it, and he's the only one that has. Well and the first time he did, Eden went back at him. But now she just turns away when he does it. He hasn't bit her, he just snaps and growls. I just don't know if I should be correcting this...or even how to correct it.

Emma the Lab is offline Senior Member

She's BEAUTIFUL!! Congrats! She'll need time, lot of patience and love and I'm sure she'll feel more confident soon. Just beautiful
    ~Veronica and Nikki~
    Sweet Emma, 16th of February 1996~26th of November 2010
    Always in my heart and soul. Together forever, my love....

Nikki 6 months

http://theblacklabrador.blogspot.com/

tammyhuffman is offline Senior Member

She is really a beautiful girl. Sounds as if she was overwhelmed and maybe never had toys to play with (so very sad). Just give her time to adjust and begin to feel comfortable, it will take time and patience from everyone. Congrats!!

morla is offline Senior Member

Cute pictures!

SIMON