A Letter from a Shelter Manager in North Carolina
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: A Letter from a Shelter Manager in North Carolina

Garth is offline Registered Users

DefaultA Letter from a Shelter Manager in North Carolina

This should be compulsory reading for anyone who's thinking about buying a dog or cat from a pet shop or BYB. Granted it's from NC but you can apply it to anywhere on the planet & the message will still be the same.

I found it on FB on Best Friends Rescue's page. This is the same rescue where I found Bear.

WARNING: Have the Kleenex handy. You'll need them.

A Letter from a Shelter Manager - anonymous in North Carolina

I think our society needs a huge "Wake-up" call. As a shelter manager, I am going to share a little insight with you all...a view from the inside if you will.

First off, all of you breeders/sellers should be made to work in the "back" of an animal shelter for just one day. Maybe if you saw the life drain from a few sad, lost, confused... eyes, you would change your mind about breeding and selling to people you don't even know.

That puppy you just sold will most likely end up in my shelter when it's not a cute little puppy anymore. So how would you feel if you knew that there's about a 90% chance that dog will never walk out of the shelter it is going to be dumped at? Purebred or not! About 50% of all of the dogs that are "owner surrenders" or "strays", that come into my shelter are purebred dogs.

The most common excuses I hear are; "We are moving and we can't take our dog (or cat)." Really? Where are you moving too that doesn't allow pets? Or they say "The dog got bigger than we thought it would". How big did you think a German Shepherd would get? "We don't have time for her". Really? I work a 10-12 hour day and still have time for my 6 dogs! "She's tearing up our yard". How about making her a part of your family? They always tell me "We just don't want to have to stress about finding a place for her we know she'll get adopted, she's a good dog".

Odds are your pet won't get adopted & how stressful do you think being in a shelter is? Well, let me tell you, your pet has 72 hours to find a new family from the moment you drop it off. Sometimes a little longer if the shelter isn't full and your dog manages to stay completely healthy. If it sniffles, it dies. Your pet will be confined to a small run/kennel in a room with about 25 other barking or crying animals. It will have to relieve itself where it eats and sleeps. It will be depressed and it will cry constantly for the family that abandoned it. If your pet is lucky, I will have enough volunteers in that day to take him/her for a walk. If I don't, your pet won't get any attention besides having a bowl of food slid under the kennel door and the waste sprayed out of its pen with a high-powered hose. If your dog is big, black or any of the "Bully" breeds (pit bull, rottie, mastiff, etc) it was pretty much dead when you walked it through the front door.

Those dogs just don't get adopted. It doesn't matter how 'sweet' or 'well behaved' they are.

If your dog doesn't get adopted within its 72 hours and the shelter is full, it will be destroyed. If the shelter isn't full and your dog is good enough, and of a desirable enough breed it may get a stay of execution, but not for long . Most dogs get very kennel protective after about a week and are destroyed for showing aggression. Even the sweetest dogs will turn in this environment. If your pet makes it over all of those hurdles chances are it will get kennel cough or an upper respiratory infection and will be destroyed because shelters just don't have the funds to pay for even a $100 treatment.

Here's a little euthanasia 101 for those of you that have never witnessed a perfectly healthy, scared animal being "put-down".

First, your pet will be taken from its kennel on a leash. They always look like they think they are going for a walk happy, wagging their tails. Until they get to "The Room", every one of them freaks out and puts on the brakes when we get to the door. It must smell like death or they can feel the sad souls that are left in there, it's strange, but it happens with every one of them. Your dog or cat will be restrained, held down by 1 or 2 vet techs depending on the size and how freaked out they are. Then a euthanasia tech or a vet will start the process. They will find a vein in the front leg and inject a lethal dose of the "pink stuff". Hopefully your pet doesn't panic from being restrained and jerk. I've seen the needles tear out of a leg and been covered with the resulting blood and been deafened by the yelps and screams. They all don't just "go to sleep", sometimes they spasm for a while, gasp for air and defecate on themselves.

When it all ends, your pets corpse will be stacked like firewood in a large freezer in the back with all of the other animals that were killed waiting to be picked up like garbage. What happens next? Cremated? Taken to the dump? Rendered into pet food? You'll never know and it probably won't even cross your mind. It was just an animal and you can always buy another one, right?

I hope that those of you that have read this are bawling your eyes out and can't get the pictures out of your head I deal with everyday on the way home from work.

I hate my job, I hate that it exists & I hate that it will always be there unless you people make some changes and realize that the lives you are affecting go much farther than the pets you dump at a shelter.

Between 9 and 11 MILLION animals die every year in shelters and only you can stop it. I do my best to save every life I can but rescues are always full, and there are more animals coming in everyday than there are homes.

My point to all of this DON'T BREED OR BUY WHILE SHELTER PETS DIE!

Hate me if you want to. The truth hurts and reality is what it is. I just hope I maybe changed one persons mind about breeding their dog, taking their loving pet to a shelter, or buying a dog. I hope that someone will walk into my shelter and say "I saw this and it made me want to adopt". THAT WOULD MAKE IT WORTH IT.
    by: Popeye Vasquez

Welcome to Facebook - Log In, Sign Up or Learn More
    Last edited by Garth; 11-06-2011 at 12:25 AM.

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

kassabella is offline Senior Member

Oh man that is horrible.

It was bad reading being left in kennels, but this got me. and don't think it will ever leave my head again.They always look like they think they are going for a walk happy, wagging their tails. Until they get to "The Room", every one of them freaks out and puts on the brakes when we get to the door. It must smell like death or they can feel the sad souls that are left in there

I heard a pet shop owner say to a young couple who thought a medium pup was so cute, but couldn't afford to pay for it, and how big would it get. "No it wont get big and you can put $11.00 down and $11.00 per month to pay it off.". I said yes it will get big and cost you a lot of money. Wasn't in N.Z. as time payment isn't allowed on animals.
    This needs to put on his shop window next to the cute puppies.

The fear for those poor animals.

Kassa 25/11/01 - 09/02/05 O.S Jaw cancer forever in my heart.
    Ernie 25/11/01 adopted May 05
    Sam 11? adopted Nov 06 - 18/12/07 Lyphoma
    Tessa. Rescued June 2011.
    Bone Cancer Dogs org.http://www.bonecancerdogs.org/
    http://kassabella.tripod.com/kassabella/
    http://collarsbychris.weebly.com/

Dio's mama is offline Senior Member

Well. That made me cry.
    Gabrielle
    Dio (Best Bud since July 18th, 2009)
    Kaity (Sweetheart since April 29th, 2012)

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Garth is offline Registered Users

Quote Originally Posted by Dio's mama View Post
    Well. That made me cry.
    I'm not ashamed to admit it. I did too. That's why I added the warning about the kleenex.

God I hate people sometimes.

kassabella is offline Senior Member

Can;t get that out of my mind.

It isn't just the breeders, or the people who sell these poor dogs.....It is the people who take them home, then for some reason throw then away like a bit of old newspaper. As happended to Tess. Her family used to love her until the kids came. Just horrible.

People need to be educated. Maybe in school a class on how much it costs to have a dog,training and all that comes with them.

They have eggs or fake babies to teach kids so why not fake animals you have to feed and train.

Kassa 25/11/01 - 09/02/05 O.S Jaw cancer forever in my heart.
    Ernie 25/11/01 adopted May 05
    Sam 11? adopted Nov 06 - 18/12/07 Lyphoma
    Tessa. Rescued June 2011.
    Bone Cancer Dogs org.http://www.bonecancerdogs.org/
    http://kassabella.tripod.com/kassabella/
    http://collarsbychris.weebly.com/

tammyhuffman is offline Senior Member

Thank you Garth. This made me cry and it made me angry also. I have a shelter dog and 2 rescued cats from shelters also. We all need to be reminded of this every so often.

georgie is offline Senior Member

What is so sad, this may be from NC, but the reality is, it happens all over the US. It just breaks my heart. We need to stop being a "disposable" society. What kills me even more is these animals NEVER lose their capacity to love humans. They trust us.

Campfire_Dog is offline Senior Member

Yes I have tears as well. It happens. The neighbours got a cute pup and they just left it in the house when they went to work. It kept chewing things. I said get a crate. They said they did but it got out? Somehow I doubt that. Finally at just over one year it ate the new leather couch and was off to the SPCA. This was all their fault. They did not manage the situation. A lady I work with has had at least 3 new cute little pups in the last two years. She does not like to drive home at lunch time so the new puppies spend 9-10 hours in the house by them selves. They get past puppy stage and all have bad house manners because once they start messing in the house it becomes accepted behaviour to them. Then she shows up with a new cute puppy that she is all excited about. I am going to print this and put it in my staff room. It does not apply to this same extent here because in most cases animals stay until they are adopted unless there is some extreme situation. But sometimes there are hundreds of kittens and cats. It is pretty well funded but these animals need love. My "Kitty" was from there and when I went in to pick one 8 years ago I let him out of the cage to "check out" and he looked so forlorn. (He was just under 2. He belonged to an old lady that died and the family did not want him.) They were all auditioning for a home as I say but mine was just sad. I look at my Jack who is the most wonderful dog and he did not just get there it took a lot of effort. When he was a puppy it meant setting the alarm an hour earlier to get him exercise before crateing him to go to work. I wonder what happened to his brothers and sisters. They were in Idaho. Did they end up like the pets in the article. Yes this a good article and I am going to forward it as well.

"If you are not living on the edge you are taking up too much room."

"Jack catching a few rays."

greg is offline Senior Member

Thanks Garth, Sad note that everyone needs to read.just this week I read about a 9 year old yellow lab who had been turned into the local shelter.the reason for him being turned in was that he kept bumping into their toddler.

deidra is offline Senior Member

me and my cousins are bawling right now. that is exactley why i love dogs a heck of a lot more than people. they wouldn't go an dump you at a shelter so why do people do it? All of my animals are"rescues". Tank was abused by my own family member and we took him in when he was 2 yrs old. bentley from the pound as a 6 month old puppy who was scheduled to be PTS. Then my kitties the 2 adult males were strays and their mom hit and killed(the neighbor used to be a hoarder adn when she passed all of her cats were there to). the 2 kittens we got from one of my friends who was moving and was going to give them to a mean lady(we gave her one of our cats and then 2 months later her son set it on fire). Our bunnies we got from a butcher who just throws them in a little wire cage no food no water and this summer it was past 100 degrees not counting humidity. gosh i hate people!
    ~It doesn't matter how smart the dog is,it matters how smart the owner is.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast