Mfftt I prffttt pufum dowf?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Mfftt I prffttt pufum dowf?

Cappy_TX is offline Senior Member

DefaultMfftt I prffttt pufum dowf?

Which in Retriever talk with a mouthful of Gadwall duck means ... "May I please put this duck down"?

Rusty really didn't want to let go, it was his only retrieve for the morning.

However, when we got back home we planted that single bird for the other two dawgs who stayed home this morning. Gave Remi a line towards a pampas grass stand about 150 yards out and off she went. She's too fast for Cappy but he joined in anyhow ...

Then it was Cappy's turn to go find it, much closer this time ...

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Remi insisted on parading around with it and then getting up onto the wash station to hold it for me.

About 10 - 12 minutes before Legal Shooting Time, we had a group of dozen or so Honkers come right over us and at only 25 yards off the deck. Figures, huh? Then about half an hour later we had a group of 3 gaddies make a quick pass-by at maybe 60 yards and they didn't turn back. Finally, the lone single we killed made a high flyby and did an abrupt 90 to the spinning wing and it died before it hit the water. That was it for 2 hours of scanning otherwise empty sky. Don't think we even heard more than 3-4 other shots the whole time. But then ... there's always tomorrow.

MicksMom is offline Senior Member

They sure love their ducks, Jim! Thanks for posting pics of Cappy. It warms my heart to see him enjoying life.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Samson is offline Senior Member

WE love you Cappy ! ( and Remi and Rusty of course )

georgie is offline Senior Member

Great pictures, Jim. That sure is some duck blind. I love to see Cappy still doing what he loves.

Emma the Lab is offline Senior Member

Awwwww love you Cappy! They all look so proud!
    ~Veronica and Nikki~
    Sweet Emma, 16th of February 1996~26th of November 2010
    Always in my heart and soul. Together forever, my love....

Nikki 6 months

http://theblacklabrador.blogspot.com/

NM Lab Lover is offline Senior Member

Carol, the blind and the dawgs all look great! Sorry about the lone duck but the season is just beginning... good luck! It is wonderful to see Cappy with the duck. Just makes my day. {{HUGS}}
    Love JL. Justlabradors.com!!!

MidwestGirl is offline Senior Member

Great pics!

Quote Originally Posted by NM Lab Lover View Post
    It is wonderful to see Cappy with the duck. Just makes my day. {{HUGS}}
    Without intending to get "mushy" about it, Grammy and Carol both tell me that Cappy parks himself by the door going into the garage when I leave with Remi or Rusty, and he will lay there for hours awaiting our return. He might get up to get a drink or ask to go out, but then he returns to the door to wait. He can no longer "hear" the overhead door going up, but he can "feel" the humming vibration apparently and immediately begins a furious tail wagging and a very hoarse and deep greeting barking. He's so thrilled to have us home and he then gets to go pick-up "planted" ducks, it brings tears to my eyes most of the time.

The dilemma for me has been ... should I let him get that agitated to where he's breathing very hard and with some difficulty, or should I keep him inside and not let him participate. When I posed that question to out vet back in September, he said ... "Jim, knowing you and Cappy, and what he lives for, is it your goal to make him live as LONG as possible or as HAPPILY as possible?"

Guess I just wanted an affirmation that the vet understood and wouldn't find it cruel or unreasonable on my part to allow Cappy to enjoy those things that mean so very much to him ... even in his senior years and declining health.

The pictures give an illusion of a younger and healthier Cappy. God I wish!

And BTW ... the last pic above shows a wet Cappy having just emerged from the pond with a training dummy. I nearly had another stroke! I had shot a double mark for Remi and when I released her for the retrieve, Cappy considered the 2nd dummy his and of course it was 30 yards or so out into the water. I ran down to the shore fully expecting I was going to have to jump in to get Cappy when he came paddling back over to me. Like a misbehaving child, I wasn't sure if I should smack him or hug him! (I hugged him.)
    Last edited by Cappy_TX; 11-07-2011 at 09:59 AM.

Mazie's Mom is offline Senior Member

Oh Cappy you are a regal,beautiful boy!! Sure looks like a good day Jim. I love all 3 of them....

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast