Stupid Frontline

Thread: Stupid Frontline

lilypi is offline Senior Member

DefaultStupid Frontline

Poor Maddox had SIX ticks on him last night! We've been pulling at least two off daily for the last two weeks. I know that this is a particularly bad flea/tick season in New England, but come on! Our vet tech friend recommended that we switch to Advantix, as they have been seeing a huge amount of breakthrough flea and tick activity on Frontline dogs. Off to petco we go! We're also going to introduce brewer's yeast to help out. I'm so worried about my poor baby getting lyme disease or skin infection. He seems relatively unbothered (except by the deer tick in his ear), but I freak out with every discovery!
    Laura & Maddox

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Mary Jane is offline Senior Member

Did you see the thread awhile back about Frontline possible being linked to seizures? I use FL also but I think next year I'll look into something else. Our tick season seems to over by August. I don't even recall seeing one tick this year.

lilypi is offline Senior Member

i did see the frontline thread, and we've noticed that maddox is a maniac after it's applied. there is a definite neurological correlation, and i'm not impressed. he's about due for a treatment, so it's definitely settled that frontline is off the table.
    Laura & Maddox

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Sophiesmama is offline Senior Member

I had used Frontline for years on my dogs. Then when we got Sophie in June, I put it on her. It did nothing! She still had fleas! I tried it for 2 months and still.....FLEAS! I don't know if they have changed the formula or what, but it didn't work at all! I changed to K-9 Advantix, and the difference was immediate! No fleas! Fleas were bad here this summer too. We have ticks up on the hills, but rarely see them down here. Our 12 yr old only had 2 or 3 in her life, so we don't worry too much about ticks. Our vet had us put our dogs on the Comfortis pill. It works great, but doesn't stop ticks.
    ~Pam

Sophie DOB 04/13/2011 6 mo

8.5 mo.

Sophie 15 months, with Skye

Chi&LabLover is offline Senior Member

When we lived in El Paso, we used Frontline on a regular basis and I never had issues (however, my dogs were never really outside because it was WAY too hot)! When we moved to PA, I was still using the Frontline and immediately we started having problems with ticks and fleas. I kept using it for another month or two and nothing changed, the fleas got so bad, we couldn't get rid of them I had to call in an exterminator (though I have heard that it's been a really bad flea season, lucky us). Anyway, I talked to the vet and they said they'd been seeing a lot of this with the frontline, we switched to Advantix, we still had an issue at first, but then I realized I hadn't been applying the advantix correctly (I thought you were supposed to put it on the same was as Frontline, but you actually apply it differently). Now that I've been applying it correctly, we've had NO ISSUE with fleas or ticks, thankfully! There are also two pills that I was told about, comfortis and sentinel, I had planned to look into them more, as I've heard with dogs that enjoy water these would be better, but once the Advantix started working for us, I figured I'd just hold off unless I end up having more problems.

Sophiesmama is offline Senior Member

We use Comfortis. The thing is, it doesn't keep ticks off your pet. We have no fleas at all anymore. The Comfortis kills them before they can lay eggs, so when we first started, we sprayed our house twice and that with the Comfortis got them! Little buggers! I hate fleas! Our season was terrible this summer! I haven't seen a flea on my dogs in a couple of months now, and we had them bad! The Frontline didn't work at all, but the K-9 Advantix did. Funny, when we had our 12 yr old dog, we always used Frontline and it worked great. I don't know if they changed their formula or what, but it doesn't work at all anymore.
    ~Pam

Sophie DOB 04/13/2011 6 mo

8.5 mo.

Sophie 15 months, with Skye