Considering fostering a Collie...
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Considering fostering a Collie...

blackandyellow is offline Senior Member

DefaultConsidering fostering a Collie...

About two weeks ago while I was leaving for work I saw a collie alone in the park (rough collie i.e. lassie type). since a lot of people walk their dogs off leash I didnīt think anything of her.

Results the collie was lost and a neighbor brought her into her home, and sheīs been looking for an owner without any success. She told me she canīt keep her because she has other 5 little dogs and her home is not too spacious.

I told her I had always wanted a Collie, and that I would think about fostering her until (if at all) the owner appears. My main concern is her getting along with Misha and Homer. The lady that picked her up told me sheīs very nice and obedient.

What do you think? You think it could work? Anybody have experience with Collies? I love the breed but I really havenīt met many because they are so rare around here. The one thing that puts me off is that Iīve read they bark a lot. My ex-girlfirend had a border collie and the dog has a very strong herding instinct that gets him into trouble because he pesterīs my exīs lab until he has enough and ends up in a fight. You know if rough collies are also like that? Misha and Homerīs well being is my priority, specially since he has ED.

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

tammyhuffman is offline Senior Member

I have a Border Collie/Lab mix, (Emma), that grew up with a Lab, (Ozzy), and now has a baby Lab for a friend, our new 15 week old puppy, (Maxx). We lost Ozzy in June but he and Emma were the best of friends and there was never anything that even looked ugly between them. Emma adores Maxx; his bitey face game get old sometimes and I either take her out for a good run, which she loves, or Maxx gets some time out in his crate. I have never had a Collie as you are describing but Emma is a wonderful and loving dog, smart as a whip although she can be anxious sometimes. My grandparents had a Collie when I was young and I still remember her being a very kind and gentle soul. I have never met a Border Collie I did not absolutely love!
    Maybe you can try to introduce the Collie to your dogs in a neutral area and see how things go. I hope all goes well and this works out for you.

Paddysmom is offline Senior Member

I have a Border Collie that looks somewhat like Lassie... except for my guy's great plume of a tail!

I wouldn't hesitate for an instant, if I were you. They are such loyal dogs, they are gentle, in general they do well with other breeds, and are absolutely devoted to their "person".

Would love to know what you decide!

Seamus and Flynn

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Tanya is offline Senior Member

border collies and collie's are very different in personality as far as I know (those I have met have been anyway)

It can work if you want it to work, it may require some adjustment period, there may be posturing and growls but if you are in charge and monitor properly (and none of these dogs are dog aggressive) of course is can work. Would you be working with a rescue or finding this dog a home yourself? (assuming owner doesn't show up)? Was she scanned for microchip? Did she have a collar with tags on?
    Charlie (foster) and Rocky

Hi,

The Collie didnīt have collar or microchip. Iīm actually surprised an owner hasnīt shown up because I swear I had seen a Collie walking with their owners in the park sometime ago and I think they lived somewhere around here. The lady that found the dog has post signs with pictures all over the neighborhood and in our close by Walmart. Iīm thinking maybe they just threw her out or donīt want her anymore.

I scheduled a meeting tomorrow, weīll take the three dogs for a leashed walk all together and see how it goes. Iīm not concerned about the Collie and Homer, as heīs such a gentleman with all dogs, with Misha I have to see, because even though sheīs mostly friendly towards most dogs, she sometimes doesnīt like other females.

We donīt know if the Collie is dog friendly because the lady thatīs keeping her has her in a separate place from her small dogs, and she told me her "gang" of little dogs are not friendly.

Weīll see what happens. The idea would be, if it works, for me to foster her and see if the owner finally appears, then if it doesnīt and we all get along I might keep her, or if it just plain doesnīt work, my friend the Vet will find her a home (he always has clients that are willing to take them).

There really arenīt rescue organizations here in Mexico. The few places I know off are totally overcrowded and the dogs are not very well cared for (for lack of resources mainly)

kassabella is offline Senior Member

I don't think it is about the breed. Rather about the dog. I they get on then for me that is what counts. I had a B.C Gemma live with me a lot in 2 years and not a problem. Each dog has their own personality.

Gems was the queen bee, but only because Erns let her.
    When Erns meet Gems for the first time it was on neutral grounds (the beach) and they go on great.

Good luck and hope it works out for you.

Kassa 25/11/01 - 09/02/05 O.S Jaw cancer forever in my heart.
    Ernie 25/11/01 adopted May 05
    Sam 11? adopted Nov 06 - 18/12/07 Lyphoma
    Tessa. Rescued June 2011.
    Bone Cancer Dogs org.http://www.bonecancerdogs.org/
    http://kassabella.tripod.com/kassabella/
    http://collarsbychris.weebly.com/

mitziandjudysmom is offline Senior Member

I grew up with a collie (Lassie type). I also have friends with young children in their family who had a Lassie type collie who died young of bloat. They soon got another collie. Their only complaint was the young one was very active (wild) much like young Labs. Neither my collie or theirs were barkers, and they got along very well with other dogs.
    Why not bring her home to see if Misha and Homer get along with her. My guess is that you will all fall in love with her.

So the weekend didnīt work. They lady thatīs fostering her had to go somewhere and cancelled me

She will call me during the week so we can let the dogs socialize in a neutral zone.

thanks for the input, looks like they are indeed good dogs. Iīve always wanted one, love them since I was a kid (a neighbor had one when I was very young and I loved him). When I got Misha I was actually looking for one but could never find a quality dog, they are very scarce now, I donīt know why.

When I was a kid (many many years ago LOL) they were very popular together with German Shepards, Boxers and Cockers

Campfire_Dog is offline Senior Member

I have no idea how I missed this thread. I had a Scotch Collie (lassie type) as a child. She was a wonderful family pet. We lived in a summer resort where there were very few kids and this dog was mine and my brothers companion. She was the center of all my outdoor activity. We loved her soo... much. She played dolls, she played horse to our wagon. She was game for everything. She will always be a wonderful part of my childhood memories.
    Judy and Jack

"If you are not living on the edge you are taking up too much room."

"Jack catching a few rays."

mitziandjudysmom is offline Senior Member

We loved her soo... much. She played dolls, she played horse to our wagon. She was game for everything. She will always be a wonderful part of my childhood memories.
    That's how my childhood collie was. He would ride in my bicycle basket and play my doll in a baby buggy. He was a wonderful companion.
    (Blackandyellow got a collie puppy since this post.)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast