Diesel's care while I'm at work finally figured out!!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Diesel's care while I'm at work finally figured out!!

Diesel_Dawg is offline Senior Member

CoolDiesel's care while I'm at work finally figured out!!

HUGE sigh of relief! The last almost 2 months of poor Deez not having anyone to relieve him & visit while I'm on a 13hr work day has finally been resolved!!

A woman from work.... she has a car, lives 10min away, used to work in a vet's office, *bonus* has a 3yo Husky girl, Maggie, whom I have already met - super sweet & playful She works part time hours & we rarely are on the same shift so she will come by during my shift with Maggie & the two dogs will play in my backyard for a couple hours!!

We have to compare our work schedules for the next 2 months to see how often she can come by. I work 14 days a month, it alternates from 2/7 one week, 5/7 the next, her schedule is more sporadic.

Diesel is going to be over the moon in love with Maggie, he FINALLY has a playmate!!! He'll get his potty break, he'll have a buddy, he won't be cooped up all day.... I've been leaving him uncrated lately, he's chewed up about 3 feet worth of baseboards & a good chunk out of the bathroom rug.... which I know is more frustration of loneliness than him being a bad dog because he isn't bad.

This is so awesome!!! She's working today, but I'm off so when she's done at 6pm she's going to swing home for Maggie & they're going to meet tonight!!

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

tammyhuffman is offline Senior Member

I am really happy for you that you have found a reliable friend/co-worker to help you with your dog. I am sure this will make a big difference in destructive behaviour. Just a questions though - are you not concerned that your dog may be ingesting some part of the items he has destroyed? I had one section of a leather sofa and love seat destroyed by my dogs a few years ago and I didn't even clean up the mess before I called the vet and took them over to be checked and x-rayed. I know I am paranoid and probably extreme but it frightened me and I was very concerned about intestinal blockages. I was lucky as there were no issues from their "fun" but it sure scared the heck out of me.

Diesel_Dawg is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by tammyhuffman View Post
    I am really happy for you that you have found a reliable friend/co-worker to help you with your dog. I am sure this will make a big difference in destructive behaviour. Just a questions though - are you not concerned that your dog may be ingesting some part of the items he has destroyed? I had one section of a leather sofa and love seat destroyed by my dogs a few years ago and I didn't even clean up the mess before I called the vet and took them over to be checked and x-rayed. I know I am paranoid and probably extreme but it frightened me and I was very concerned about intestinal blockages. I was lucky as there were no issues from their "fun" but it sure scared the heck out of me.
    Very concerned. Trust me, we've already had to do an endoscopy - though that was a pink puppy collar he snagged from the breeder, he'd only been home 4 days when it had lodged way down to the point he needed an endoscopy to get it out. Diesel had been crated prior to the last almost 2 weeks, the house is as puppy proofed as I can get it, the baseboards were my biggest concern. I did sprinkle some pepper around the corners as I figured that was the easiest access (mouth wise) to knaw on, well he went for the flat middle parts instead.

He doesn't chew stuff every time he's out, it was only 3 times out of the 10+ days. I can't completely dog proof the house (not like I can remove baseboards!) crating him for that long that often was not fair, not mentally healthy, I took a chance. The chewing happened in the inital few days, he's since stopped so perhaps he got it out of his system. Now if I were missing a shoe.... I'd be terrified & he'd be getting an xray at the evet!

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Top Of The Hill is offline Senior Member

I hope it works out well for you and Diesel, Roxy. It sounds like you've found someone to help that you feel comfortable with. Good to hear that he won't be spending all those long hours alone and without a break. Best of luck.

Mary Jane is offline Senior Member

Good for both of you!!

Campfire_Dog is offline Senior Member

I am really happy for Diesel and for your piece of mind. I hope the other dog turns out to be compatible. Let us know after your meeting. When Jack started to be left in the yard before my husband retired and of course when he was younger. He loved things that did the tug o war with him. Drip sprinklers, hoses, anything he could grab and pull but when he showed an interest in the hose (natural gas) heading to the BBQ I got concerned. The other things could be fixed. I painted tabasco on it and he never bothered it again. Good luck with the dog break.
    Judy

"If you are not living on the edge you are taking up too much room."

"Jack catching a few rays."

HarveysMum is offline Senior Member

That is good news. Win/win situation!

Campfire_Dog is offline Senior Member

How was the meeting with the other dog? Did he like Diesel. My friend has a dog that is very mean to Jack. I do not let him out of the vehical when we visit their campsite. Hope this one has a better nature.
    Judy and Jack

"If you are not living on the edge you are taking up too much room."

"Jack catching a few rays."

iammike is offline Senior Member

I was very worried about a similar situation this week with my 4 month old. I normally work M-F for 9 hours and can drive home for lunch to let him out. This week we had to participate in an exercise so I was going to be working nights for 12 hours and no lunch. I couldn't kennel him for the week because at the time, he hadn't had all his shots and I really didn't want to do that at his age anyway.

Fortunately my boss played his awesome card and suggested I bring the spare kennel into work. I now bring him with me to work the night shift and kennel him in the office. Get to take him out every couple of hours and he seems to be happy go lucky as usual.

I was really really worried that I was going to end up in a situation having to leave him at home along for 12 hours when he had never been more than 5 hours before.
    ...at 6 months old.

tammyhuffman is offline Senior Member

Hopefully this has all worked out for you! If you feel more at ease and your dog is happy, safe and healthy that is what matters.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast