Questions about "commercial" dog foods...which would you recommend?
Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Questions about "commercial" dog foods...which would you recommend?

steveandginger is offline Senior Member

DefaultQuestions about "commercial" dog foods...which would you recommend?

I know many folks on here are against "commercial" dog foods, and feed natural/home-cooked food.

Having said that, I was curious to hear some opinions on which of the "commercially available" dog foods might be considered among the best? Our breeder fed Eukanauba Large Breed Puppy formula, so we have continued that with 9-week old Gracie. We fed our previous Lab Iams Large Breed food, which seemed to do fine, but she developed pancreatic cancer at just under 5 years of age, and we at least wonder if food contributed, so we want to be sure that if we are going to continue to use commercial food, we choose a good, high-quality one. Any thoughts?

Thanks,

Steve

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

javasmom is offline Senior Member

The only dog food company that I trust implicitly right now is Fromm.
    I do feed other foods though...I am a rotation feeder.
    I currently feed: Fromm Surf & Turf, Fromm Beef Frittata, Nature's Variety Instinct Duck & Turkey Meal, TOTW Pacific Stream and Now!!
    I did feed Eukanuba to my girls when they were pups, but switched to grain free when they were a little older (9 months old) because no matter what I did, the Euk was making them fat.
    They are doing fabulous on grain free food.
    Fromm is the one dog food company that I trust completely right now.
    They have a great puppy formula!!

jzgrlduff is offline Senior Member

My three have been on grain free for years and do great on it. Natural Balance Venison and Sweet Potato. My Frankie had ear issues but hasn't had any since we put them on this food. Macy was at the vet over the weekend and she commented more than once about how gorgeous her coat was (Macy is a Golden Retriever).

"Each is a creature of Earth and is entitled to reside on it with dignity"

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Well, very quicky, there are two votes for "grain free," which I have not heard or thought of...interesting. I will do some reading on these...wonder if they are available here locally?

(By the way, I apologize -- I now see I should have put this in the "health and nutrition" thread -- mods, you can move it if you like...)

Any other votes?

Steve

Quote Originally Posted by steveandginger View Post
    Well, very quicky, there are two votes for "grain free," which I have not heard or thought of...interesting. I will do some reading on these...wonder if they are available here locally?

(By the way, I apologize -- I now see I should have put this in the "health and nutrition" thread -- mods, you can move it if you like...)

Any other votes?

Steve
    Most grain free foods are not necessarily appropriate/recommended for puppies.
    I didn't switch Java to grain free until she was 13 months old.
    Moka was switched at 10 months old.

It is ok to feed adult food starting at 4-5 months old, but grain free is best kept until they are a little older.

Tractor Supply or Agways are very good sources of premium quality foods. You don't have to rely solely on buying food from a pet store or Petco/Petsmart. Tractor Supply, Agway, grain/feed stores are excellent places to buy quality dog food....and it's usually cheaper than buying from a pet food store.
    Last edited by javasmom; 11-02-2011 at 02:15 PM.

Thanks javasmom. It is interesting that "grain free" might not be suitable for a puppy. What is it that makes that the case, and what is it that then makes grain free a GOOD choice for an older dog?

Steve

Quote Originally Posted by steveandginger View Post
    Thanks javasmom. It is interesting that "grain free" might not be suitable for a puppy. What is it that makes that the case, and what is it that then makes grain free a GOOD choice for an older dog?

Steve
    I believe it's because the calcium levels are higher in grain free food, so it's not appropriate for growing puppies (too much calcium or an odd calcium/phosphorous ratio is not good for growing bones). Also, most grain free foods are higher protein foods, which is not recommended for puppies because it is thought that high protein will cause kidney issues.
    There are some grain free foods that are labeled ALS (all life stages), but I still wouldn't feel comfortable feeding it to a young pup.
    For my girls, once I switched to grain free they both leaned out...lost weight, got very muscular and defined. With grain inclusive food, they tended to gain weight easily, no matter what I did.
    Also, grain free foods can help with allergies, ear infections and skin problems.

labby is offline Senior Member

I will only feed my dogs ProPlan. I've tried just about everything else and don't like what I see and go back to the ProPlan.

Laura

Great info, javasmom. I know it was hard to keep Misty's weight under control on the "regular" kibble. And, she had continual ear infection issues. Lean, muscular, defined without the ear problems (or skin problems) sound like great traits, and of course that's what I would be shooting for for Gracie's health.

Hmm...

Steve

Laura --

You say "ProPlan." That's a Purina food, right? Let me read about that one, too...

Steve

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast