Anyone had a dog coughing. I am worried about Erns.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Anyone had a dog coughing. I am worried about Erns.

kassabella is offline Senior Member

DefaultAnyone had a dog coughing. I am worried about Erns.UPDATE

Sorry didn't update earlier. My laptop took the day off so had to wait until I got home to use the desk top.

By the time I got to the vet he was very slow. He had stopped coughing and didn't cough when the vet tried to get him to.

They think he has a blockage, as she felt something so gave him so pearls so if he doesn't poop they will show up in the xray. He hasn't pooped today.

It isn't KC.
    He has an inflammed trachea which could have been caused by many things...i.e.grass seed, bug from his head under the water, (long shot) or irritation from whatever he had eaten.
    They said if he deteriorated in any way take him out immediately. From past experience we know he can down hill very quickly. I almost took him out this afternoon as he was air licking which means he has a problem with his gut, but he settled and been asleep all day. Not coughing much.

They are going to do some heart and thyroid tests if the coughing continues.

The reason the E vet wasn't keen on seeing him was because my vet had been concerned about the cotton and the E. vet didn't want to do surgery. Hear he is to gett a rap over the knuckles.

Hoope this is clear. I don't do too well with lack of sleep.

UPDATE.
    He stopped coughinng so much about 3 am. He is still coughing when he moves so keeping him stil. I didn't call the emergency vet as I decided if he couldn't see him when I called he wouldn't be much good unless of course things became worse.

I am waiting for the vets to open. He isn't well at all. He ate breakfast, but when I say the magic word food, apple or hungry which usually have him at attention and rushing to the pantry door, he twitches an eye and doesn't move his head. He is breathing deeper, which usually means he doesn't feel good. If it is his gut he air licks and the whites of his eyes go red.

His coat is shiny and his eyes are bright.

It is now 11.30pm. I saw the vet almost 6 hours ago and he said if the frequency of the cough increases to call the emergency vet. Erns has coughed non stop since I got him home. Every 3rd or 4th cough he brings up clear liquid. This is a lot more coughing than this afternoon.

About an hour or so ago I called and he said he should be o.k. not to worry. He is probably coughing more due to going to the vet.

I am on that border of do I sit and wait it out, or do I bounce up and down for the vet to see him.

Anyone dealt with a coughing dog or anything like this before.
    Last edited by kassabella; 11-03-2011 at 03:12 AM. Reason: Updateing.

Kassa 25/11/01 - 09/02/05 O.S Jaw cancer forever in my heart.
    Ernie 25/11/01 adopted May 05
    Sam 11? adopted Nov 06 - 18/12/07 Lyphoma
    Tessa. Rescued June 2011.
    Bone Cancer Dogs org.http://www.bonecancerdogs.org/
    http://kassabella.tripod.com/kassabella/
    http://collarsbychris.weebly.com/

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Are you sure it isn't kc? The coughing and phlegm sound like it....

I'm going to read your other thread now

Tucker the Black Lab - gotcha Date: May 8 2009
    Birthday: March 15th 2009
    Ontario Dock Dog!!
    BA Regional Senior Title
    BA PB 18'1"

Duke the Chessie Mix - Gotcha Date: January 23 2010
    Sam the Shih Tzu - Birthday: December 6th 2002
    Chase the Kitty - Age 15

dek
    dek is offline Senior Member

Oh Chris, I have no idea. Maybe he inhaled some water when he stuck his head under and he's trying to clear it out? I really don't know, but I'm sorry to hear he's not doing well. I'll be sending good thoughts to you and Erns today (well, tonight where you are). Did they have any ideas to make him more comfortable, or did they say to just let him cough it out?

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Vet said it wasn't kc. I asked the E vet to make sure I heard right and he said the notes say isn't k.c.

But you never know. I have no idea what kennel cough is.
    It isn't phlegm he is hurking up.
    Do they cough non stop with k.c.
    Tess is the one that is with other dogs, so would she be the one that would cough first, or because she is on antibiotics no have the cough.???

Garth is offline Registered Users

Why is the E vet so reluctant to see him Chris? I know it's the middle of the night but surely he must know you're worried sick?

I hope the poor guy settles down soon. Get him to your regular vet first thing in the morning. I hope like hell it's nothing serious.

Chi&LabLover is offline Senior Member

I'd have them double check kennel cough. I had a boxer that I fostered who had it, and that's what it sounds like. Of course I'm not vet, so I may be wrong. Her symptoms seemed to get worse when ever I had the air on (it was summer), if she was in the heat it wasn't as bad, but when it was cooler she would cough non stop and hack stuff up. My other two ended up getting it then too. However, your other one probably wouldn't get it if she's on antibiotics. Like I said, I could be wrong...but I can't believe they didn't look into that more...that's what it sounds like to me. Either way, hope everything is okay with your pup!

CindersMyGirl is offline Senior Member

That's how my Shadow was when he had kennel cough. How about letting the hot shower run and sit in the steamy bathroom with him to see if it helps.

Quote Originally Posted by Garth View Post
    Why is the E vet so reluctant to see him Chris? I know it's the middle of the night but surely he must know you're worried sick?

I hope the poor guy settles down soon. Get him to your regular vet first thing in the morning. I hope like hell it's nothing serious.
    Some of the E vets here are useless..

He has settled and not coughed for 10 mins so I am going to get some sleep and if he wakes me I will call the vet. His choice to see me then rather than before.

Thank you all. I have been reading stuff and it looks like K.C. Tessa must have bought it home as he doesn't go to the dog park. I am going to get them to double check tomorrow.

I tried him in the bathroom and he was worse.

Could be a bug he got from the stream. He took off yesterday and went into it putting his head under water as he does.

Belles mom is offline Senior Member

It does not really sound like KC to me, as the coughing is so non stop...but I am no vet. A grass seed stuck in his throat? Fox tails are nasty things when inhaled but it's spring where you are, so not sure if that could be it.

Can't you give a dog certain kinds of cough syrup? I know some kinds would be dangerous, but also thought that bad cases of KC can be soothed with it. I would just think coughing would irritate the throat, causing more coughing...catch 22 kind of thing.

Best wishes to you and Erns

Karen and the gang
    BBI Kodi's Journey To Anotch (Journey)
    BBI Kodi's Blackpowder Striker (Flint)

allthatjazz is offline Senior Member

Sending good thoughts to Erns and you. Hope he is feeling better soon! My rescued male beagle had kc and it was a non-stop cough. The vet said it sounded worse than it actually was. It's been many years ago, but I still remember how awful it sounded, like doggie croup.
    May I always be the kind of person my dog thinks I am

Terri and Jazzy

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast