Questions about Spaying her
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Questions about Spaying her

Chi&LabLover is offline Senior Member

DefaultQuestions about Spaying her

Once we pick Eden up (she's two) she has an appointment at our vet on the military base (they don't do surgeries, only general check ups and vaccines) to get a health check and possibly an influenza shot (something the vet who will be doing her surgery requires) as that's not a requirement in the state of PA so I don't know that she already has it. After that she will go to Silver Spring Animal Clinic to have her spay surgery. Pennsylvania has this program called SNAP (Spay Neuter Assistance Program), certain vets do spays/neuters at a low price so that more people will spay/neuter their animals. So I called the vet to see what the extra costs will be on top of the spay, of course everything extra is optional. I am not sure which options would be in her best interest for me to take, and which ones I don't need to take. I know when I spayed/neutered my chihuahua's I took all the options because I wasn't sure which they could "live without" so to speak. And to spay my female cost me 250 and to neuter my male cost me 275 (which is apparently a lot because all total if I took all the options up here for a 55 pound lab it will only cost me 280). Anyway, they offer IV fluids (I assume I should take this?), they also offer a pain shot that will last the whole day of the surgery (I assume I should take this), they will give her a pill to prevent her form getting any fleas that may be on other dogs at the vet, since fleas have been so bad this season (that's a no brainer, I am taking that), they also offer pain meds (five days worth), I assume I should take this...and then the one I am not certain about is, they offer use of a laser for the spay (now I did take this option with both my chi's, but I am not sure if it's a necessity? as I don't know how it will look otherwise). Any input on this would be great as I obviously want what's best for Eden.
    Thank you!

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Samson is offline Senior Member

Can't believe that they offer painkillers as an OPTION ?

tammyhuffman is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by Samson View Post
    Can't believe that they offer painkillers as an OPTION ?
    Or the IV fluids, that is a strange one. I would want everything but the laser option I know nothing about.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Chi&LabLover is offline Senior Member

I said the same thing about the painkillers and IV's the first time I went through this with my chihuahua's, but it's all an option. I plan to get everything, except I'm not sure about the laser. I believe that's more for cosmetic reasons? I was told with my chihuahua's that they offer the laser because you can't see the scar as much once it heals. So I opted for that when I got them spayed/neutered, however when I got my other chihuahua neutered I took him to the spay/neuter van where we were in El Paso (he had been abandoned so we weren't planning to have to save for neutering when he showed up, the spay/neuter van was another discount program that was offered in El Paso when we lived there), she didn't use a laser and once it healed I couldn't notice. That's why I'm not sure if it's worth the extra hundred bucks for them to use a laser.

tammyhuffman is offline Senior Member

I have never been able to find Emma's scar from when she was spayed and never even thought to look for a scar from when Ozzy was neutered...
    I think a scar would be the last thing I would be worried about but that is just my personal opinion. There are so many things I could think of to use the extra $$ on!

zoesmom is offline Senior Member

don't know anything about the laser, but I can't see a scar on Zoe. And even if there was one, it would be on the belly, and would go unnoticed, I think.
    Linda and Zoë, the Umlaut
    Honolulu, Hawaii

[

blackandyellow is offline Senior Member

I think the laser is used to help the cicatrization process. The wounds heal a lot faster which is good.

IŽd definitely get the pain killers, and the IV fluids.

BigBrownDog is offline Senior Member

Can't see the point of the laser option. FWIW, I never had any need to medicate for pain for females I have had spayed in the past. No pain meds for the last neuter here either (Blaise). Diesel did need pain meds but I don't think his surgery was particularly skillfully executed.

I'm a little shocked that they'd do any sort of surgery without IV fluids.

I would not get the flea pill, but I don't treat my dogs with any flea/tick preventative normally.
    Sharon, Blaise and Diesel.

kassabella is offline Senior Member

Can you ask to do what they think is best at the time, and be prepared to pay for the IV and pain meds.
    I thought they would need it, but as Sharon says hers didn't, and if I remeber rightly one of Erns surgeries the vet said he didn't need pain meds, which I thought was odd. Next day he was still very uncomfortable so went and got some.

Kassa 25/11/01 - 09/02/05 O.S Jaw cancer forever in my heart.
    Ernie 25/11/01 adopted May 05
    Sam 11? adopted Nov 06 - 18/12/07 Lyphoma
    Tessa. Rescued June 2011.
    Bone Cancer Dogs org.http://www.bonecancerdogs.org/
    http://kassabella.tripod.com/kassabella/
    http://collarsbychris.weebly.com/

georgie is offline Senior Member

I did not see any pre-op blood work. I always have that done before the surgery. I did have the laser surgery for both Abby & Kate. The reason was it is supposed to be less traumatic and while it cuts it cauterizes the vessels. They still tie the large vessels with suture. Since Molly had the conventional spay, no laser, I did not see any difference in the incisions once they healed. I did get 5 pain pills to take home but I never had to give any of them pain meds. I don't know anything about a pill for fleas...so not sure I would do that.

Good thoughts for your girl.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast