Chester is bitten at obedience class :(
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Chester is bitten at obedience class :(

yellowmom is offline Senior Member

DefaultChester is bitten at obedience class :(

We started level 3 on Saturday. Chester gets VERY excited to meet new dogs/people (he IS only 6 months old), but never gets aggressive. There is a few minutes of off leash play time to start and within 5 minutes of the start of class he wanders back to me with his face bleeding. One of the other dogs had a scuffle with him and actually bit him!
    Eventhough I was watching constantly I am not 100% which dog did it as there were about 4 dogs playing bitey face at the same time. Now I am unsure if I should continue class. I have sent an email to the teacher and an waiting for a reply. My poor baby... :

Recovering on Sunday:

Chester & his mom (Noah and Marmie, forever in my heart)

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

judiz is offline Senior Member

I am so sorry that Chester was bitten, hope he (and you) feel better soon.

Belles mom is offline Senior Member

Poor baby! I m sort of surprised that the obedience class allowed off leash play, especially with new dogs!

Karen and the gang
    BBI Kodi's Journey To Anotch (Journey)
    BBI Kodi's Blackpowder Striker (Flint)

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

marmstr is offline Senior Member

our class allowed supervised off leash play, but we never let them get wild enough to bite someone.

I hope Chester heals quickly. Artemis was bitten on the nose by my parent's dog when she was about 3.5 months...my folks had a new rescue dog that was upset because Artemis tried to take her bone (my mom wouldn't just put the bone up somewhere....)...the cut (not quite as long as Chester's) healed in about a week or so. There was a hairless spot/scar there for about 3 months...now I can't even find the spot. I hope Chester heals quickly.
    Melissa

Artemis (goddess of the hunt--for anything on the floor!) Feb 2011
    Penny--rescue, died Dec 2010 of Lymphoma at age 7
    Belle--April 1992-Sept 2005

zoesmom is offline Senior Member

Oh, I'm so sorry that happened to Chester. Hope he heals quickly. (he is so handsome, BTW)

Zoe had supervised free play also. But the instructor was right there watching the whole time, and stopped when it got wild. Our instructor was a professional behaviorist, and she knew exactly when to stop the rough playing.

If you and Chester are learning new things, I would say to continue, but watch during play.

(a side: Zoe and her friend Tasha used to play bitey face. Zoe was the one who was too wired, and Tasha bit Zoe on the ear...not to draw blood. Ever since then, Zoe quit playing bitey face w/Tash. They are still friends though)
    Linda and ZoŽ, the Umlaut
    Honolulu, Hawaii

[

georgie is offline Senior Member

I'm sorry Chester was bitten. Hope he heals quickly. If you & Chester enjoy the cclass, I would continue. Just watch him close when playing off leash.

blackandyellow is offline Senior Member

Poor Chester but he might have "asked for it", as you mention he gets overexcited with other dogs. Of course nobody wants their dogs hurt but sometimes they are too pushy or rough when playing and the other dog says "enough"

Right now we are having sort of the same problem with our group of dogs (my friends bring their dogs with us mountain biking on the weekends). A friend who rescued a feral born puppy 6 months ago has the same problem. She gets too hyper and stubborn playing with the other dogs (a Lab named Sam and a German Pointer, Pepper), and the adults do lose their patience after one hour of having the 8 month old pup biting their ears insistently.

zoesmom is offline Senior Member

how old are the other dogs? (the other 3 or 4)
    Linda and ZoŽ, the Umlaut
    Honolulu, Hawaii

[

Full House is offline Member

I'd say, as long as Chester isn't afraid to go back you should go but maybe point out to the instructor that free play could be an optional thing before and outside class.

As an aside, I'm so impressed that you are in level 3! After 2 classes we went from level 1 to level 2. Our first class in level 2 made me wonder if we'll ever move on. We're only 3 classes in, but those level 3 dogs are amazing.

Hope everything is going well otherwise. Chester looks beautiful and HUGE! What does he weigh now?

deidra is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by georgie View Post
    I'm sorry Chester was bitten. Hope he heals quickly. If you & Chester enjoy the cclass, I would continue. Just watch him close when playing off leash.
    Thats what i was going to say. Chester is a handsome boy but remember those looks are what get them in trouble,ha!
    ~It doesn't matter how smart the dog is,it matters how smart the owner is.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast