advice needed...
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: advice needed...

lisa is offline Senior Member

Defaultadvice needed...

Cão Fila de São Miguel - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Okay, so this is the dog that the shelter has. I have taken her home temporarily becasue the vet removed her dew claws and now she is constantly pulling off her bandages and pulling her stiches out. She has broken 6 cones, one of those bubble collars, and broke free of a stability collar...her incision was about a 1/2 in long and now it it like 3 inches long. The vet said she is going to damage the tissue in her feet.

So long story short, she is home with me while she recovers, where she can be supervised around the clock.

Gracie and Lola are fine with her, she is great outside with them and when she is walking around the house...but when she is on the couch or bed she growls and even a slight snap. Any advice on what I should do...this is the dog my husband was thinking of adopting...of course Gracie and Lola are our FIRST concern and the most important to us..so if it doesn't work the shelter will find her a good home, but now it would break my heart to stick her back in the shelter. Any help or advice appreciated. Thanks

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Belles mom is offline Senior Member

Don't let her on the couch or bed.

Karen and the gang
    BBI Kodi's Journey To Anotch (Journey)
    BBI Kodi's Blackpowder Striker (Flint)

BoatDog is offline Senior Member

NILIF - earn couch and bed rights....might work but Karen's answer is better!

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

patm is offline Senior Member

Like they said - first off - no couch or bed - she hasn't earned the right yet - and obviously can't handle it. She is probably very nervous and even frightened - which comes out as aggression. Treat her like you would treat any dog right now- don't baby her because of her injury. I don't have much more advice because I have not had to deal with this, hopefully others will have more practical advice - you are going to need.

Tanya is offline Senior Member

totally agree, no couch or bed for this dog, not for awhile and do NILF for EVERYTHING at first.
    Charlie (foster) and Rocky

lisa is offline Senior Member

Thanks everyone...I told my husband no couch or bed...she is on the floor right now and having no problem with either of my dogs. I def am not babying her, and she does seem to be a little better today than last night. She will be coming with me to the shelter tomorrrow because I am working there most of the morning, I won't leave her alone with my dogs of course.

blackandyellow is offline Senior Member

Also consider that she´s in a new environment and in pain from the surgery, so she might be cranky because she´s in pain. Give her some time to heal and then adjust to your home, but based on the temperament description of the breed I would definitely keep a close watch. You know those descriptions are generalizations and every individual is different, but still be watchful.

Why do they take the dewclaws off? Isn´t it easier to just keep the nail trimmed? I know its common in the US, here in my country it is never done.

BigBrownDog is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by blackandyellow View Post

Why do they take the dewclaws off? Isn´t it easier to just keep the nail trimmed? I know its common in the US, here in my country it is never done.
    Not usually done to adult dogs either unless they were injured and they had to be amputated. It must be REALLY painful for the dog!
    Sharon, Blaise and Diesel.

amazongold is offline Senior Member

How old is she? What is her background? I agree, no furniture and NILIF until she learns who is alpha and where her place is in the house.
    Jackie, Champ, and Buddy

morla is offline Senior Member

I agree comepletly! Ya!
    SIMON

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast