Going on a bike ride

Thread: Going on a bike ride

greg is offline Senior Member

DefaultGoing on a bike ride

Has anyone tried taking their Lab with them while trying to ride a bike ? on the weekends I take Jack to the park and go for a 3 mile walk.I messed up my ankle and have been looking for a less painful way for us to get our exercise in.I saw one of the riders at the park ,riding along with his dog trotting along side.he had the dog's leash running through a plastic pcv pipe connected to the frame of the bike.I'm not so shure that I have that much trust in Jack.one squirrel and things could go bad real quick I tried taking him a couple of times on the bike and just keeping a loose hold on the leash,and he does fine until he gets a good smell of something then he comes to a cold stop.Iguess ithat it'll just take a little time and patience to get him to not make a sudden pit stop.

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

kassabella is offline Senior Member

I see people do that too, but know there is no way I could. If I don't trust the dog when I am walking there is no way I would attach him to my bike. I have visions of Erns dragging the bike across the park, while I lay winded on the ground.

Kassa 25/11/01 - 09/02/05 O.S Jaw cancer forever in my heart.
    Ernie 25/11/01 adopted May 05
    Sam 11? adopted Nov 06 - 18/12/07 Lyphoma
    Tessa. Rescued June 2011.
    Bone Cancer Dogs org.http://www.bonecancerdogs.org/
    http://kassabella.tripod.com/kassabella/
    http://collarsbychris.weebly.com/

Bookwormbiker is offline Senior Member

I'd be afraid I'd mess up more than my ankle if I attempted that with Duke. He does that sudden stop every now and then when he's reading his "p-mail". You could hurt the ankle even more if you put it out to stop a fall off the bike if Jack puts on his brakes and throws the bike off balance. Have you been to the doctor or had an x-ray?

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

greg is offline Senior Member

p-mail ,I like that .Thats what Jack does when he decides to come to a stop.I just keep a loose hold on his leash and let go.he doesnt run anywhere,just stands there and reads . Have 'nt been to the doctor ,its getting much better.I've just pulled a muscle or tendon.If I would stayed off of it for a week it would be fine.