Found a tick on Saba.. a bit freaked out here... help!

Thread: Found a tick on Saba.. a bit freaked out here... help!

Neska74 is offline Senior Member

DefaultFound a tick on Saba.. a bit freaked out here... help!

I was cuddling with Saba and found a strange growth out of his head near his ear. Got totally freaked out as it did not look like it belongs there... so I grabbed my tweezers and pulled lightly and it came out. It was a tick! Bugger was still wiggling! I flashed it down the toilet but I am a bit freaked out. He's never had one before in all of his 6 years. I probably should not have pulled it out, right? But it came out easily. I disinfected the area after. Not sure what else to do. The area is around his ears, very thick fur there. It looks a little red. Should I call the vet tomorrow morning? I think I will call the vet ... Here are a couple of pics I took of it, it looks big as I parted his fur, it was about 5mm long. Not very thick. Sucker must have been there for a while, how did I not notice it?!!! He's on revolution and he did get the dosage on the 1st of October. Any suggestions on what I should do, since this is my first tick experience. Yikes..!

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

BigBrownDog is offline Senior Member

No reason to go to the vet. You got the whole tick out and cleaned the area. It's too early to detect any tick borne disease. You might call them and see if they have had any incidence of tick borne disease in your area just to know what to look for if he develops any symptoms.

Mine pick up ticks now and then - usually a couple a year - and I just pluck 'em off and the spot heals up fine.
    Last edited by BigBrownDog; 10-28-2011 at 09:59 PM.
    Sharon, Blaise and Diesel.

Neska74 is offline Senior Member

Ok. Thanks. I did get the head and the "legs". Yuck. I hate bugs. I will call the vet just in case. The only think I can think of is this trail we went on last Sunday but we go there all the time and he never had one before. And that totally makes me feel like a bad mom that it might have been there since Sunday!! OMG.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Sophiesmama is offline Senior Member

There are topical flea treatments that will keep ticks from getting on your pets. I remember Maggie got one once, and the vet said just to clean the spot and it sould be fine. It was. I would find out if there have been any problems where you live with lyme's or other tick borne diseases. Watch Saba for the next couple weeks. Any sign of any sickness call your vet.
    ~Pam

Sophie DOB 04/13/2011 6 mo

8.5 mo.

Sophie 15 months, with Skye

dek
    dek is offline Senior Member

If it makes you feel any better, I freaked out after your freak out. Koivu has a spot by his lip that I'd looked at, but wasn't giving much thought to other than hoping it wasn't another hot spot forming. Never even thought about a tick being in there
    Had the BF help me pin him down for a closer look, but all I found was a pustule, no yucky tick.
    I use Revolution on Koivu as well, so far no real tick or flea problems with him, just allergies......

Hopefully, Saba's okay. When I was freaking out the BF asked me if I wanted to wrap Koivu in bubble wrap. If it would work, I probably would

georgie is offline Senior Member

We have picked ticks off our dogs too. Not all ticks carry lyme disease. I always get freaked out. Our vet says just make sure you get the head out. It sounds like you did a good job. You cleaned the area. Saba should be fine.

Sams Mom is offline Senior Member

Pulled a tick off Sam a long time ago. Called the vet. She said the only issue is you have to make sure you get the whole head out. Only deer ticks carry Lyme disease and if the tick was the size of a pencil eraser, then it's not a deer tick.

Hugs as ticks are gross. Sam's was in a similar place near her ear. Yuck!

Sams Mom is offline Senior Member

brody is offline Senior Member

Sampson's new nick name is Tick

removed at least 6 from him in the last two weeks ....GROSS .. given his kidney issues he's on treatment for Lyme just in case (a month of antibiotics)

pulled one off Brody last night and one off Thea Monday ... Sally has been tick free weirdly enough

they all get revolution once a month
    http://andrea-agilityaddict.blogspot.com/

“I am only one, but still I am one. I cannot do everything, but still I can do something; and because I cannot do everything, I will not refuse to do something that I can do.” H. Keller