Mange? Could it be?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Mange? Could it be?

AngusFangus is offline Senior Member

DefaultMange? Could it be?

For some reason, I woke up this morning and all I could think of was "mange." Ever do that...just wake up with something on your mind and it won't get out? I got straight out of bed and went upstairs to google.

Do you guys think there's a possibility their problem could be mange? Mange was actually the very first thing our vet said when he saw Angus the first time. We did have them both scraped, and had Simon's sample analyzed at UT, and no mange mites showed up. But they don't always show up on a scraping, right?

The only thing that doesn't seem to fit is, mange usually affects the head, right? Neither of them have any hair loss on the head. But, Angus' eyes do seem to itch when this is going on.

Here are the lovely foot pictures again. Does anyone have any experience with mange?

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

jzgrlduff is offline Senior Member

That was my first thought, Connie. Tango had the exact same symptoms, and that would explain why they're both getting it.

"Each is a creature of Earth and is entitled to reside on it with dignity"

Quote Originally Posted by jzgrlduff View Post
    That was my first thought, Connie. Tango had the exact same symptoms, and that would explain why they're both getting it.
    I thought I remembered you had mentioned that. Did Tango have any involvement on the head, or was it just feet too?

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Canula2000 is offline Senior Member

ouch!!! no advice...I just hope the vet figures it out and they get better.

"Every boy should have two things: a dog, and a mother willing to let him have one"
    - Anonymous

joflake is offline Senior Member

Willy had mange when we got him from the rescue. I had no idea. It didn't take long for Libby to get it too. Skin scrapings were negative. I spend a year and $$ at the vets trying to figure out what was wrong, including allergy testing, and ended up treating them for mange myself. I bought Lymdip off of the internet, used it every five days exactly like it said and finally the problem went away. I will never forget that. It was a miserable time. Check around their eyes. Willy didn't loose the hair on his head but it got very itchy and thin around his eyes.

blacknyellow is offline Junior Member

does it have a smell, like a sweaty smell, scaly and pustules?? are there any other patches on the dogs body? demodectic mange can either be localized or generalized form. all dogs do have demodectic mites, however due to a weakened immune system, it usually causes the mites to populate themselves at an excessive rate. and it is generally not contagious.

the other mange, sarcoptic mange is contagious and is a bit different than demodectic. thats all I know about this type... by the looks of the pics, that would be my guess.

Quote Originally Posted by joflake View Post
    Willy had mange when we got him from the rescue. I had no idea. It didn't take long for Libby to get it too. Skin scrapings were negative. I spend a year and $$ at the vets trying to figure out what was wrong, including allergy testing, and ended up treating them for mange myself. I bought Lymdip off of the internet, used it every five days exactly like it said and finally the problem went away. I will never forget that. It was a miserable time. Check around their eyes. Willy didn't loose the hair on his head but it got very itchy and thin around his eyes.
    Very, very interesting. Thanks for sharing that. Hmm.

MidwestGirl is offline Senior Member

justine is offline Senior Member

Hmm.. I found this Wiki page interesting: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mange

joflake is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by AngusFangus View Post
    Very, very interesting. Thanks for sharing that. Hmm.
    Your welcome. I made sure nothing in the Lymdip would hurt them before I decided to take it upon myself to treat them. All it is is a sulfur bath. It really smells but it worked better than the meds and steroids the vet prescribed.

That's why the old farm dogs went and rolled in the sulfur creeks to rid themselves of fleas, etc. JMO.
    Last edited by joflake; 11-13-2009 at 12:52 PM.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast