Seeking Advice

Thread: Seeking Advice

zoesmom is offline Senior Member

DefaultSeeking Advice

Hi All! Thought I'd bounce this to you and get some advice.

Background:
    My neighbor, Nathan, recently rescued a Husky, Maya. Maya was the product of a BYB. The "breeder" had about 100 puppies and they were confiscated by the Humane Society. She was 1-1/2 years old. She was probably kenneled the whole time, and did not socialize w/other dogs.
    She stayed at the Humane Society for 6 months while the breeder was awaiting trial, and probably did not share a kennel.

Maya is now 2 years old. She is friendly towards humans, but the humane society said she is not good with dogs. Nathan has been taking her to the dog park, and says she is fine, and plays with the other dogs. No issues.

ISSUE:
    Maya has been over to our yard twice. On both ocassions, whenever Zoe went to get attention from Nathan, Maya would run up to Zoe and snarl. Then Zoe would snarl back. No attack, just mean snarling. I step in between and say "AH!" really loud, and they stop. But this happens consistently when Zoe goes up to Nathan.

I am afraid one day they may actually get in a full on fight, and Zoe has never touched skin. She may give the air snap to overly rambunctious puppies, but never bites.

Any idea as to how to get Maya to accept that it's okay for Nathan to give Zoe affection?

I was thinking of putting them on lead, then have Zoe go up to Nathan. Then take Maya over and if she snarls, remove her and keep trying this. Then if she can go up to Nathan & Zoe w/o snarling, treat. Thoughts?

any other suggestions?

tia
    Linda and ZoŽ, the Umlaut
    Honolulu, Hawaii

[

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

tammyhuffman is offline Senior Member

These stories make me sick, I just do not understand people that do these kind of things to animals. I would certainly do what you have said and I don't think I would let my dog around Maya until you got this under control. Just to be on the safe side, for everyone involved. Does it help at all if you pay special attention to Maya at the same time Zoe is seeking attention from your friend?

BauersMom is offline Senior Member

I would put them on lead, but treat Maya continuously when Zoe was next to Nathan. Remove Zoe, stop the treats, bring Zoe back and resume Maya's treats, repeat, repeat, repeat . . . eventually Maya will associate Zoe being around Nathan as something good.
    Debi and Bauer
    Some people are like slinkies. Not really good for much, but bring a smile to your face when pushed down the stairs.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Mary Jane is offline Senior Member

No advice but I hope it gets worked out. Good for you neighbor in adopting!!!

Quote Originally Posted by BauersMom View Post
    I would put them on lead, but treat Maya continuously when Zoe was next to Nathan. Remove Zoe, stop the treats, bring Zoe back and resume Maya's treats, repeat, repeat, repeat . . . eventually Maya will associate Zoe being around Nathan as something good.
    Debi, that sounds like an option which we will try. Thanks!
    Honolulu, Hawaii

[

mitziandjudysmom is offline Senior Member

No advice, just a few observations:
    Many dogs tend to be more aggressive when their human is near. (Don't know if they're protecting human or feel empowered with a human back-up)
    Huskys I have known tend to be dog aggressive.
    I hope Maya and Zoe will be good neighbors.

Sophiesmama is offline Senior Member

Maya has never had a family before, and it sounds like she is protective/possessive of Nathan. I would gradually show her there is nothing to worry about. I don't know how long he has had Maya, but I think she needs to learn how to be part of his family before he introduces her to others. Then, in small doses. You have gotten some good advice. Be careful, keep a watch out for Maya sneaking to your yard. Also, you might tell Nathan that huskies are "runners". They will take off if given the chance. My niece had one that would take off running and be miles away in a short time! I would get the dog chipped. That is how my niece got her's back once, was because it was chipped.
    ~Pam

Sophie DOB 04/13/2011 6 mo

8.5 mo.

Sophie 15 months, with Skye

Quote Originally Posted by Sophiesmama View Post
    Maya has never had a family before, and it sounds like she is protective/possessive of Nathan. I would gradually show her there is nothing to worry about. I don't know how long he has had Maya, but I think she needs to learn how to be part of his family before he introduces her to others. Then, in small doses. You have gotten some good advice. Be careful, keep a watch out for Maya sneaking to your yard. Also, you might tell Nathan that huskies are "runners". They will take off if given the chance. My niece had one that would take off running and be miles away in a short time! I would get the dog chipped. That is how my niece got her's back once, was because it was chipped.
    thanks Pam.

Nathan has had Maya for just about a month. Once the puppymill case got settled, they started adopting the dogs out.

Nathan has no "family". He is a single person, living alone, which is the main reason why I wanted to help get Maya socialized with Zoe.

and thanks about letting me know about Huskies being "runners." Nathan did some research and told me about that. I suggested he get a 30' lead when he takes her to the beach. That way, she has the ability to run around w/o running away.
    Honolulu, Hawaii

[