Anyone else have this problem?

Thread: Anyone else have this problem?

deidra is offline Senior Member

DefaultAnyone else have this problem?

bentleys recall is better as long as a leash is attached to him. I can attach a leash drop it and give him the play command and he will go off and do his own thing. I call him to coem abckw hich is either bentley come or one sharp whistle. He will come flying back and sit in front of me. But,if i take the leash off of him good luck catching him to me! He will act like he will come back then dart away or if you just start walking he will dart away from you. if I am at the pond or my cousins I dont ahve this problem. if we are at home i ahve this problems. I have the same tone and everything. He is really smart but so stubborn! Im glad he is cute!
    ~It doesn't matter how smart the dog is,it matters how smart the owner is.

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

jen124 is offline Senior Member

They collar wise or leash wise etc. My old girl use to know that she could misbehave at a hunt test because she didn't have her e-collar on. They are very smart!!!!!!!!! I would keep reinforcing and also practice your recall off leash in small area where you know you can catch him. The trick is to follow through every time. Also instead of chasing him try running the other way etc. or even laying down on the ground and making noise. The neighbors think you are nuts but the dogs will usually come see if you are ok Yup ~ cuteness has certainly saved my crew more than once!!!!!!!
    Jen and the crew!

kassabella is offline Senior Member

Yes Ernie. He has never acheived the " I am responsible off lead" award. When we visit I leave a short lead tucked into his collar and he is manageable. Take that off and oh boy...the demon arrives. He flies all over the place like something possessed and can't hear a word anyone says. Put the lead back on and the other Erns sits beside me.
    Good converstion peice at dinner. lol.

Kassa 25/11/01 - 09/02/05 O.S Jaw cancer forever in my heart.
    Ernie 25/11/01 adopted May 05
    Sam 11? adopted Nov 06 - 18/12/07 Lyphoma
    Tessa. Rescued June 2011.
    Bone Cancer Dogs org.http://www.bonecancerdogs.org/
    http://kassabella.tripod.com/kassabella/
    http://collarsbychris.weebly.com/

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

I am glad I'm not the only one that has a demonfied lab! My uncle has 2 6 month old puppies and they listen alot better than Bentley but they have had the same training!

mitziandjudysmom is offline Senior Member

Time to start teaching him without the leash on him. Is he food motivated? If he can learn to come for a morsel of goodies, then you can slowly substitute the food for praise. As you and Bently grow closer, you will find him less stubborn. He probably senses your frustration with him. My Judy is like him, smart but not obedient. Once I finally accepted her as she is, she became more obedient.

he is food motivated. I took him opver to my cousin for a playdate and took the leash off(has a fenced in yard) and i let him run for a good 10 minutes. then i called him over to me. well when i did that i had 5 other dogs at my feet. he was included so i praised him adn let him go off again. i did that a few times then i leash him. Am i doin it right or should i do it a different way? Tank is a velcro dog so it has never bene an issue with him and bentley is my first dog that isnt a velcro dog.