How much sleep is too much sleep?

Thread: How much sleep is too much sleep?

judiz is offline Senior Member

QuestionHow much sleep is too much sleep?

We've had Hamilton for three weeks and I think he has adjusted very well from the shelter to the rescue group to our home. He received a clean bill of health and except for an itchy leg, he seems to be doing well. My question though is about the amount of sleep a four year old lab needs. We just moved into our house so the backyard is not fenced in yet. We take Hamilton for many walks through the neighborhood and he has many toys to play with. However, he will climb on the couch and fall asleep during the day and while we are watching tv or reading at night. The naps don't seem to be interfering with his nighttime sleeping as he does sleep through the night. Should we be concerned about the napping?.

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Sophiesmama is offline Senior Member

Chuckle....if you look at many, many of the pictures posted on this site, there are lots and lots of sleeping pictures! If your dog has a good appetite, gets excercise and seems to handle it well, and shows no signs of illness....sleeping is a big part of a labs life. Welcome to the forum...looking forward to pictures!
    ~Pam

Sophie DOB 04/13/2011 6 mo

8.5 mo.

Sophie 15 months, with Skye

Belles mom is offline Senior Member

Note my siggy pict....

Karen and the gang
    BBI Kodi's Journey To Anotch (Journey)
    BBI Kodi's Blackpowder Striker (Flint)

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Baloo317 is offline Senior Member

I find that napping seems to be Baloo's "default function", meaning that if nothing else is going on (walks, playtime with us or the other dogs, dinner, company, etc.) he goes to sleep. Peanut is the same. The other two are younger so haven't quite mastered this technique. I would worry if you are trying to engage him in activities like play or walks and he seems lethargic and uninterested, but other than that, be happy that sleep is his default function. That was something Baloo had to learn, it certainly didn't come as a standard feature. :P
    Kate
    Baloo - 5 year old black lab
    Peanut - 7 year old minpin
    Monster - 3-ish year old frenchie/jack, rescue
    We're Superdogs!

BauersMom is offline Senior Member

I agree with the above. Bauer will be 4 in January, and he is normally sleeping when in the house. There isn't much else for him to do; he can't watch tv, read a book, or do housework (although that would be awesome).
    Debi and Bauer
    Some people are like slinkies. Not really good for much, but bring a smile to your face when pushed down the stairs.

Samson is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by BauersMom View Post
    I agree with the above. Bauer will be 4 in January, and he is normally sleeping when in the house. There isn't much else for him to do; he can't watch tv, read a book, or do housework (although that would be awesome).
    Don't wish that on yourself ! See my thread when they "cleaned" my oven !

That happened all in the one hour that they were awake just before i came home !

Thank you for putting my mind at ease (said as Hamilton takes a nap on my pillow)

This is Hamilton

deidra is offline Senior Member

hamiltion is Adorable! My dogs sleeping schedule is after a long 8 hrs of sleep at night they wake up when im getting ready for school then i leave and they doze most of the day or play. then i get home and if i dont go to the gym they get a walk straight away or right after i get back from the gym. We get back eat supper then take a 2 hr nap(depending if i can get to sleep or not). Then they watch tv with me while i do homework. Then the day starts over again I have a very interesting life i know,ha! on the weekends we usually only get about 8hrs of sleep total(sat and sun combined) so we have to make up for it!
    ~It doesn't matter how smart the dog is,it matters how smart the owner is.