Christmas Tree
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Christmas Tree

Sophiesmama is offline Senior Member

DefaultChristmas Tree

I have been giving some thought to my Christmas Tree. Do any of you have any ideas on how to 1. keep one actually standing 2. Keep the ornaments from being stripped off.....Sophie has gotten into my closet and several times has come in dragging a tinsel garland behind her, and once a chewed up strand of tree lights.....We have tried to emphasize the NO factor, but when our back is turned, she is drawn to the decorations. We have to always be sure our closet is closed. So, with a nice juicy tree in the middle of the house, it will look like an obvious plaything for a rambunctious lab puppy! Any ideas?
    ~Pam

Sophie DOB 04/13/2011 6 mo

8.5 mo.

Sophie 15 months, with Skye

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

georgie is offline Senior Member

We just kept saying "leave it." But ours is in our family room & my house is a tri-level, so the girls are never alone with it. Mostly it is tails that knock off the ornaments. But last year, Kate snatched a wooden ornament when I was putting clothes in the washer, and chewed it to pieces. So I guess it will still be a "leave it" holiday again this year. Good luck.

Rushpuppy is offline Senior Member

Put it up on a stand and opt for a smaller tree this year or find an old style playpen and put the tree in that hahahaha
    We really haven't had any trouble with the girls bothering the tree, just every once in a while that tail goes wagging and
    flings ornaments off the tree.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

BauersMom is offline Senior Member

We have never had a problem, except that we put it where Bauer's bed usually is and he tries to lay under it. The first couple days he is very confused, walks over to lay on bed . . . bed isn't there . . . he then lays as close to where his bed should be as possible. He has never taken an ornament or chewed anything up (even his first Christmas when he was about 10-11 months old).
    Debi and Bauer
    Some people are like slinkies. Not really good for much, but bring a smile to your face when pushed down the stairs.

Sophiesmama is offline Senior Member

Sophie stripped all the apples of our small apple tree in our yard as high as she can reach. So I am figuring a tree in the house will be one more thing she thinks is for her own personal enjoyment!
    ~Pam

Sophie DOB 04/13/2011 6 mo

8.5 mo.

Sophie 15 months, with Skye

deidra is offline Senior Member

atleast you have a girl! The first year we had Tank he amrked the frikin thing! I put the ortements aas high up as possible and it is a constant leave it. Or as my dad says "Bentley you touch that i will take you back to the bad place!". bentley usually pouts and then goes to me wanting a praise,lol.
    ~It doesn't matter how smart the dog is,it matters how smart the owner is.

cinderbay is offline Senior Member

Even with six dogs at one time living in the house the tree had never been an issue. I guess I have been pretty lucky. Now years ago, when I had 2 cats....that was another story!
    Kim

BigBrownDog is offline Senior Member

Never had a problem with this. Blaise was almost a year old by the time his first Christmas rolled around and Diesel was about 9 months. When Diesel was a puppy we had an older Dutch Shepherd who kept Diesel in line. So - he listened really well as a 9 month old. Really well - or Lucy would kick his butt.

I did keep unbreakable items on the lowest branches to keep tails from sweeping off my Radko collection to the floor. I'd have to murder a dog for breaking one of those.
    Sharon, Blaise and Diesel.

javasmom is offline Senior Member

We've never had a problem with our tree either.
    Moka and Java have no interest in it. I think Java is actually afraid of it. I tried to get them to pose for a picture in front of it...Moka sat nicely, but Java wouldn't turn her back on it, so the picture I got is of Moka looking at the camera and Java facing the tree.

csblabmom is offline Senior Member

One thing we have always done is put a plant hook directly above the tree in the ceiling. The tree gets tied up to it with fishing line after we decorate. It makes me feel a little more secure that it isn't going over if it gets bumped.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast